Legal EBIKE LOOPHOLES

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I recall seeing on this forum that some of the big European manufacturers take advantage of the 10% tolerance and set their motor cutoff speed above the 15.5 mph limit
The 10% tolerance is to cover measurement error. The idea is that if you set your cutoff to 25 km/h and it has an accuracy such that it reads 10% low. You are still within the the allowed speed; however if you set it to 27.5 km/hr and its undetermined accuracy makes it read 1% low, you're out.

Remember, what you see your speed displayed as on any device is your "measured" speed, not your "actual" speed. The actual speed can only be determined by instruments of know accuracy and known measurement system errors.

Reactions: afzal

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Remember, what you see your speed displayed as on any device is your "measured" speed, not your "actual" speed. The actual speed can only be determined by instruments of know accuracy and known measurement system errors.
And this would be my defense to any crude roadside 'on the stand' check. The only speed display on my bike is a retro fit Cateye cycle computer with speed registration dependant on wheel size setting. This, of course, takes no account of tyre depth, so only gives a ball park figure and definitly not calibrated..
Not that I'm likely to be pulled over around here. Seeing a police car is an event worthy of mention.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
bugger me i might sign on then thats 2x my income after tax and ni.. then again i dont have to deal with anyone working for the dhss which is worth a grand in ni a year alone..
Signing on is much lower. you need to be a bit loopy to get these higher rates, which are related to disability rather than just not having a job..

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

you need to get 12 points tho mine will be revised in 2 years time.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020

you need to get 12 points tho mine will be revised in 2 years time.
They seem to want to leave me alone. Though that could be down to my last political 'medical assessment' when i compared the 'doctor' to being little better than an assistant of Dr Mengele.

*@#%£^$ scumbags.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i did mine over the phone and took about 30 mins

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
So if your on Personal Independent Payments, is that a legal loophole around some of the eBike regulations ?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
They seem to want to leave me alone. Though that could be down to my last political 'medical assessment' when i compared the 'doctor' to being little better than an assistant of Dr Mengele.

*@#%£^$ scumbags.
Serious level of re-calibration needed.

Reactions: Cadence

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
So if your on Personal Independent Payments, is that a legal loophole around some of the eBike regulations ?
your honer i was pissed and stoned i crashed my bike and got 1400 a month in disability payments :eek:

if i crash my new bike i will fit in to a bucket :p

Reactions: j401b

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
You claim benefits for as long as I remember. Nothing to do with bike crash.
That's OK - I am quite sure that many ordinary, hard working folk are happy to get up early and go to work - to toil all day in unrewarding jobs so they can hand over about 35% of their income (which really amounts to about a third of their work time) to pay taxes to subsidise his house, his heating system, his dodgy inverter and his dope and cider AND I know they will be even more delighted to know that after crashing his over-powered e-bike while drunk and stoned, he is rewarded by even more largess at their expense. It is really only old curmudgeons who in their more volatile moments would think that such behaviour should result in an individual being drowned in a bucket of water and thrown into a hole. I was talking to a pal at the pub last night about this case and the boasting on here about benefits, and that is what he suggested would happen if he was in charge. Miserable old bu gger - I told him to lighten up and that I thought it was great that our friend was so well looked after.....

Last edited:
Reactions: robert44

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
That's OK - I am quite sure that many ordinary, hard working folk are happy to get up early and go to work - to toil all day in unrewarding jobs so they can hand over about 35% of their income
Exactly. I think we all got it wrong and some serious recalibration is needed. We should all quit our jobs, claim benefits, buy expensive bikes (not Argos clankers) and blame bloody migrants for taking our jobs.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Argos CLANKERS???

:)

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Since the rise of Milton Freemans economic theories (MV=PT) western economies have been run with the intention of maintaining a certain level of unemployment although they dont shout about it, but its a major tool in restraining 'inflationary' pay growth..
So - in order to maximise 'happiness' why the hell not have all the folk who dont want to work take the Necessary unemployment slots.. Odd concept i know but...
btw the only 'Them' that represent a problem are politicians that spout hate crap like Nigel 'i didnt start a riot' farage.

Reactions: AndyBike