How much battery sag is too much for a 3 year old battery?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
PAX
last time I tried to help, I was called out for illegal
never ever would I intend that, I hate ,seriously hate , dangerous modifications
Well go and take a nap. You are talking nonsense and sound like there are other issues upsetting you besides what we get up to. Please feel free to put me on ignore if my musings upset you.

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Nah... Whole Europe. Whole world probably too. You can change parameters of your motor as much as you want with exceptions mentioned by Seneagle. Worst case scenario you can void warranty,
If that is true in your jurisdiction, cool
jerries in jail probably regret tampering now, look it up

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
shits on your bbs01
Replace your illegal Bafang motors with those, we'll help you configure them. Lots of pedelecs.co.uk forum members know how.

• :D
Reactions: Ghost1951

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If that is true in your jurisdiction, cool
jerries in jail probably regret tampering now, look it up
Look... there are things you can change and things you can't. Most important being max speed assist limit and throttle settings. Law doesn't say anything about rest, so you can do what you want with other parameters.

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Replace your illegal Bafang motors with those, we'll help you configure them. Lots of pedelecs.co.uk forum members know how.
Seriously .?
i wasn’t looking for help from the blind, read last page or two, offered assistance, got rejected, shan’t cry. Please be careful

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
i wasn’t looking for help from the blind, read last page or two, offered assistance, got rejected, shan’t cry. Please be careful
Ill informed assistance, hence useless. You should be more careful.

Reactions: Voltsnamps

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Anyway, further to the legal 6kph BBS01B throttle limiting, which I hope will help with hill starts, easy starts on high gear etc, but might not... The designated level for the throttle is Level 0. At startup it's Level 1, which I instantly switch to 9. Level 1 is for monitoring speed and distance unpowered, when running on lithium fumes. Level 2 is enough to overcome motor resistance, plus a bit. My new PAS settings are thusforth.

My bike has been neglected lately because I've mostly been using other forms of transport, but I hope to be going out for a test ride with the new settings soon.

Last edited:

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
Anyway, further to the legal 6kph throttle limiting, which I hope will help with hill starts, easy starts on high gear etc. but might not... The designated level for the throttle is now Level 1. At startup it's Level 1, which I instantly switch to 9. Level 0 is for monitoring speed and distance unpowered, when running on lithium fumes. Level 2 is enough to overcome motor resistance, plus a bit. My new PAS settings are thusforth. My bike has been neglected lately because I've mostly been using other forms of trabsport, but I hope to be going out for a test ride with the new settings soon.

View attachment 58487

View attachment 58488

View attachment 58489
absolutely the best of luck with that, but ask blind freddy first
deja vu all over again

• Dislike
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
absolutely the best of luck with that, but ask blind freddy first
deja vu all over again
I don't know this gentleman/lady or object. Who or what is that? Was he/she/it always blind?

Doesn't matter if it doesn't work out, I don't need a throttle.

EDIT: Another utterly useless suggestion from @Voltsnamps! Bloody Aussies. Start your own useless suggestion thread, I'm sure it will also be very boring.

got rejected, shan’t cry. Please be careful
I don't care if you cry. I'm a psycho. Blubber away.

Last edited:

Voltsnamps

Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2023
I don't know this gentleman
I don't care if you cry. I'm a psycho.
no worries, I thought there might be an upstairs problem, crying out for help
perhaps a bicycle forum is the wrong place, good luck with it.
Blind Freddy can see the problem, Harley St London, W1 best spot for help

• Dislike
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
no worries, I thought there might be an upstairs problem, crying out for help
perhaps a bicycle forum is the wrong place, good luck with it.
Blind Freddy can see the problem, Harley St London, W1 best spot for help
Yet more useless crap! I don't think you understand the purpose of this forum.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I can now legally throttle uphill with the new settings, very slowly. I don't know if the amperage setting for my Level 0 is being ignored, doesn't feel like 18A, but the throttle is certainly limited to 6kph max. Throttle may be using the amperage specified for Level 0, or some other variable in the firmware inaccessible to Speeed App and Penoff's configurators.

I tried some hill starts - throttle helped, if you activate pedal assist at the same time, so that the moment you let go of the throttle, pedal assist kicks in immediately and launchs you upward. Timing takes a little getting used to, ie when to let go of the throttle. I quite like "Start Degree" set to 2, helps with throttle assisted pedalling starts. Normal pedal assisted starts on flat road on highest gear are also easier.

I also tried throttle uphill starts on my highest gear, and heard nasty plasticy grinding inside the motor (at least I think that's what it was), I reckon it was probably too much for the nylon gears. Unsure. This also happened on my highest gear starting exclusively with throttle on flat ground. Best avoided, I think. I'll try dialing Start Current for throttle down to 10%. No grinding noise with uphill throttle starts without pedalling, when using lower gears.

Hill starts without pedalling is very slow using throttle exclusively, it's not easy to balance going that slow, possible on low and medium gears. Using 18A pedal assist, climbing those same hills is dead easy on my highest gears.

If you start exclusively with throttle and no pedalling, there's a shortish delay between the end of throttle and the beginning of pedal assist.

On level ground it's dead easy to dawdle along throttling dead slow, provided you can maintain balance.

Throttle assisted starts on level ground feel faster and easier, but as I said, timing of throttle release takes a little getting used to.

Having replaced firmware of zillions of other devices over the years, I've learned to be cautious - until I know for certain an open source firmware replacement is compatible with the BBS01B, I won't be flashing my controller. I'm sure all manner of things will be possible once I have access to code. But for now, I have a legal 6kph throttle on my BBS01B (see post #54).

There may be thrilling boring video.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I can now legally throttle uphill with the new settings, very slowly. I don't know if the amperage setting for my Level 0 is being ignored, doesn't feel like 18A, but the throttle is certainly limited to 6kph max. Throttle may be using the amperage specified for Level 0, or some other variable in the firmware inaccessible to Speeed App and Penoff's configurators.

I tried some hill starts - throttle helped, if you activate pedal assist at the same time, so that the moment you let go of the throttle, pedal assist kicks in immediately and launchs you upward. Timing takes a little getting used to, ie when to let go of the throttle. I quite like "Start Degree" set to 2, helps with throttle assisted pedalling starts. Normal starts on flat road on highest gear are also easier.

I also tried throttle assist uphill starts on my highest gear, and heard nasty plasticy grinding inside the motor (at least I think that's what it was), I reckon it was probably too much for the nylon gears. Unsure. This also happened on my highest gear starting exclusively with throttle on flat ground. Best avoided, I think. I'll try dialing Start Current for throttle down to 10%.

Hill starts without pedalling is very slow using throttle exclusively, it's not easy to balance going that slow, possible on low and medium gears. Using 18A pedal assist, climbing those same hills is dead easy on my highest gears.

If you start exclusively with throttle and no pedalling, there's a shortish delay between the end of throttle and the beginning of pedal assist.

On level ground it's dead easy to dawdle along throttling dead slow, provided you can maintain balance.

Having replaced firmware of zillions of other devices over the years, I've learned to be cautious - until I know for certain an open source firmware replacement is compatible with the BBS01B, I won't be flashing my controller. I'm sure all manner of things will be possible once I have access to code. But for now, I have a legal 6kph throttle on my BBS01B (see post #54). I was quite happy without a throttle.

There may be thrilling boring video.
Interesting. My throttle ONLY works as a walk assist. It is far too feeble. I of course could put it back to stock settings which I have a record of, but then it applies about 600 watts if the battery is full and will go as fast as it can go on that sort of hot diet and is of course completely illegal.

As it is, I am satisfied that the bike complies with the requirements of the law insofar as any converted e-bike can do. I am utterly convinced that the regulations as we have them on the books were written after much lobbying by manufacturers of inflated priced e-bikes such as Bosch and favour them in terms of markings and registrations and type approval. I can't even be bothered to go into all that stuff. I am not talking about the two manufacturers who post on here who I do not at all consider either to lobby, or to make over-priced bikes. On the contrary, they seem to make quite competitive offerings.

I just got back from a nice ride around Hadrian's Wall. I have done 36 miles on the battery, yesterday and today. I could have got to forty miles I am pretty sure and there has been some pretty stern climbing.

I got wet again. Damned July drizzle that can soak you in a two mile stretch.

I passed this viewpoint about half an hour ago. Hadrian's Wall runs along the top of the basalt cliffs.
Steele Rigg View.jpg

Fifty years ago, after work, we used to drive out to do rock climbing on these crags. They are eighty feet tall and we had some pretty hairy moments there. We must have been mad.

Google Crag Lough for more images of this place at different times of year. It's a pretty famous spot.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Interesting. My throttle ONLY works as a walk assist. It is far too feeble. I of course could put it back to stock settings which I have a record of, but then it applies about 600 watts if the battery is full and will go as fast as it can go on that sort of hot diet and is of course completely illegal.
You could try my settings for throttle, but my controller is 18A, wheels are smaller, and I'm no longer a wobbly fatso.

I just got back from a nice ride around Hadrian's Wall.
Do you happen to carry an axe? I'd chuck loads of tree spinach seeds at it, the world's tallest variety, 3 metre Chenopodium Giganteum. They're edible, proliferate like crazy, and when they die they make great walking sticks. Hadrian's Spinach Wall.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Are you suggesting that I am a wobbly fatso? How very dare you!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are you suggesting that I am a wobbly fatso? How very dare you!
I've gt to get my blood pressure down, heart BPM too - whatever your shape is and however it blubbers about knocking over furniture, your numbers are much better than mine. Time to finally get around to sorting out my acoustic Dahon Espresso...

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I've gt to get my blood pressure down, heart BPM too - whatever your shape is and however it blubbers about knocking over furniture, your numbers are much better than mine. Time to finally get around to sorting out my acoustic Dahon Espresso...
Well, I wish you well with that, of course.

I have no idea how old you are, which can be a factor in the stats, and you are doing many of the things that will help make things go the right way. I have always sworn by regular aerobic exercise, tried not to eat too much, and to keep my weight reasonable, not eat too much salt and sugar and eat sensible food. BUT - there is also genetics in the mix. Who knows what we get from that pot?

Maybe use the battery less and your own muscles more? I don't know, but you have said you use high pas all the time... You may have been winding us up though, so who knows.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Maybe use the battery less and your own muscles more? I don't know, but you have said you use high pas all the time... You may have been winding us up though, so who knows.
This bike is to facilitate arrival at work unsweaty, and as full of beans as I am when I leave home, so nope, not joking - this is a zero effort high power usage commuter bike. Now that that mornings are less cold, I'll do more slow jogging. Ease my way back into circuit training like I used to be able to do, decades ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost1951