Gone for the Bighit

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
After my trials and tribulations with the Tailwind I have bitten the bullet and ordered a Tonaro Bighit today. I am sure with all the great reviews it will be just what I am looking for. Great deal from Phil and apparently it will arrive tomorrow. The supplier of the Tailwind is due to have a courier come and collect it so I can get a refund. Second time lucky I hope. The Bighit was available in a variety of colours that were all 'Black' :) The Model T of ebikes.

shep

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
I have got a Bighit and a Kalkhoff Agattu and my wife has an Agattu as well now !!!! lets just say i had some serious luck selling a dormant domain name that i had, to a very large American defence company, hence the two Kalkhoffs !!!

The Bighit is fabulous value for money, not quite as good quality as the Agattu, but it is only about half the price and with that in mind is superb value for money. It can easily keep with the Agattu and on steep hills it can out climb it. As it is very powerful, it will climb up the side of a house in high power and 1st gear !!!

great bike, and i for one have no regrets buying mine, similar build strength to a Challenger tank

Willin'

Pedelecer
Apr 2, 2011
Keep us posted on your experience with this bike. I am seriously tempted given the good reviews.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I bought a Torano Enduro model (similar to the Bighit) about two weeks ago. It is a seriously good bike despite what the critics say about Zoom forks etc. The combination of crank drive and a throttle or full power pedelec with no Panasonic nonsense of restricting the assistance to twice your effort, means that the bike offers the older/less fit rider just the sort of help he/she needs.
Out of interest, I went to a hill nearby that I clearly recall ascending on my Cyclemaster under throttle alone in 1959. Whilst I cannot be clear about the speeds, the Enduro also ascended on throttle alone, maybe a bit slower, but old bones aren't complaining about that.
At my age, I can fatigue quite quickly, with the Enduro, just twist the throttle, stop pedalling and on you go.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Depending on what time it arrives at my office tomorrow I may get it assembled and charged to ride home. Can anyone recommend a cycle computer that will work well with it. Obviously wireless would be great. But I am aware of concerns over interference. I am only looking for a clock, speed, trip and total mileage.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Depending on what time it arrives at my office tomorrow I may get it assembled and charged to ride home. Can anyone recommend a cycle computer that will work well with it. Obviously wireless would be great. But I am aware of concerns over interference. I am only looking for a clock, speed, trip and total mileage.
I have a £30 cateye velo plus which is wireless and i have had not one issue with it.It took about 5 mins to install

I like the bike you have chosen too :) i know there are snob critics but i do think its very good value for money

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi PJM, I too bought the beautiful Tonaro Bighit last week ,
and this baby is one hell of a bike, and dont worry about any talk about the zoom forks ,as it is still a wonderful ride ,and if you want too you can replace them,its a big bike ,and i can just touch the ground ,but i am only 5.5inches ,super performer,but make sure you push the kettle like plug fully in to the battery,not the charging one ,as i did not push it fully home ,and the power dropped off a little
all in all wonderful, stylish and powerful,you will like this for sure ,best wishes Brian.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
make sure you push the kettle like plug fully in to the battery,not the charging one ,as i did not push it fully home ,and the power dropped off a little
Ive read on here that people dont like kettle plugs amongst other stuff. Can you clarify exactly the type of plug as when i google kettle type plug it i get different images up. Whats so bad about them? I have a multi prong type plug on the wire to my rear wheel like the PS2 port on a PC that keyboards used to be before they went USB, just bigger. And on my battery and controller i have two sturdy prongs that stick up, they look like an enlarged USA plug

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Ive read on here that people dont like kettle plugs amongst other stuff. Can you clarify exactly the type of plug as when i google kettle type plug it i get different images up. Whats so bad about them? I have a multi prong type plug on the wire to my rear wheel like the PS2 port on a PC that keyboards used to be before they went USB, just bigger. And on my battery and controller i have two sturdy prongs that stick up, they look like an enlarged USA plug
Hi Jon,i never said they are bad,when new they are very tight fitting,with three prongs,the one that plugs in to your kettle,if you live in England,lol they really are tight,so just make sure you push it right home ,and use three hands to pull it out with ,lol best wishes Brian.

PJM

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2011
Sorry I thought the Bighit was electric and not steam powered :) Thanks for the advice though.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Hi Jon,i never said they are bad,when new they are very tight fitting,with three prongs,the one that plugs in to your kettle,if you live in England,lol they really are tight,so just make sure you push it right home ,and use three hands to pull it out with ,lol best wishes Brian.
Sorry Brian i didnt mean to insinuate you did, i have read on here in some threads saying that kettle plugs are bad. You know what some people are like. Also my kettle his hard wired at home not 3 pin, now, if you said pc plug well thats different lol.

Sorry I thought the Bighit was electric and not steam powered :) Thanks for the advice though.
Ha ha steam powered well with them front forks you better be careful lol :p

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I have just ordered the Enduro and it should be on the way to Denmark now.

Phil has a slight problem tracking it but I am sure it will arrive in the next few days.

I am really looking forward to it.

Steve

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Sorry Brian i didnt mean to insinuate you did, i have read on here in some threads saying that kettle plugs are bad. You know what some people are like. Also my kettle his hard wired at home not 3 pin, now, if you said pc plug well thats different lol.
Hi jon no problem my friend lol just laughting at the steam remark lol

Hi no problem jon

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent

Hi jon,no problem my friend,just laughting at the steam power .best wishes Brian.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
I have just ordered the Enduro and it should be on the way to Denmark now.

Phil has a slight problem tracking it but I am sure it will arrive in the next few days.

I am really looking forward to it.

Steve
Hi Steve you will like this baby,but be careful,she will take you for a ride lol,best wishes Brian/

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i have read on here in some threads saying that kettle plugs are bad. You know what some people are like.
The criticism that I've seen some make is that someone uninformed could plug the battery into mains with unpleasant results, so it's sensible criticism, not just pickiness.

Some companies, Wisper for example, use a variant with the earth pin turned through 90 degrees to make that impossible.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
The criticism that I've seen some make is that someone uninformed could plug the battery into mains with unpleasant results, so it's sensible criticism, not just pickiness.

Some companies, Wisper for example, use a variant with the earth pin turned through 90 degrees to make that impossible.
As i said Flecc i was unaware of what this plug looked exactly like which is why i was asking for clarification. In addition to that statement, well if people try to bypass the adapter and plug straight into a battery from a mains well they are not competent enough to have electricity in their house never mind they shouldnt be let loose on a road with a bike where they may mistake a bus for a clear road

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Believe it or not, some e-bikes have been made with the charger built in with the battery and they were plugged direct into the mains, so not as daft as it seems!

This original SLA equipped Giant Lafree was one example.

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Believe it or not, some e-bikes have been made with the charger built in with the battery and they were plugged direct into the mains, so not as daft as it seems!

This original SLA equipped Giant Lafree was one example.
Still sounds daft lol but on the part of the manufacturer people can be idiots the best of times please dont give them reasons to be oh dear me.

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Kettle plugs are good, makes it so much easier to use range extender batteries.

Gender mismatches are easily overcome with patchleads made up with IEC-320 connectors and a hank of 20 amp twin red 'n' black.

Make sure the correct polarity is maintained through the patch lead, get it wrong and the controller will be destroyed.