Gone for the Bighit

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
I agree with a lot of points on here but i do wonder whether that the interfering EU laws makes people use their brain less and apply less common sense. Maybe thats becasue alot of people that make these rules dont have common sense and it passes down not sure but what i do know is that even the most intelligent of people can and have displayed stupidity and that makes them just idiots. I have met people so intelligent its unreal, special applicants to certain Colleges and Uni's and people with doctorates and do you know what? They have no bloody common sense, maybe there is a connection there between that and the EU, look at their qualifications!!

My final thought is simple, think before you do and you cant really go that far wrong. Use the tool we have had for 1000s of years - a brain

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I sometimes feel sorry for the EU legislators, they are so often wrongly blamed. The connector thought to be in question was an IEC one, that's international regulators, not European ones, and it's the USA which has the largest say in these IEC regulations.

And as Blewit has observed, the Tonaro one is not a IEC connector or "kettle" one, but the same as the Wisper one I drew attention to earlier in the thread.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I sometimes feel sorry for the EU legislators, they are so often wrongly blamed. The connector thought to be in question was an IEC one, that's international regulators, not European ones, and it's the USA which has the largest say in these IEC regulations.
Even for mains I've only seen these connectors become more popular since the late 1980s and the rise of the PC (as in models based on the original IBM PC), as well as various kinds of AV and music equipment designed in the USA and Japan, Prior to that mains connectors on UK kit were usually Bulgin types, and Europeans had some other kinds.

A requirement for high power but portable DC sources for transport purposes (as opposed to smaller battery operated kit) it is comparatively new as are e-bikes so hardly surprising people are adapting "unsuitable" connectors.

in both cases, the market shaped the initial use of connectors rather than regulators.

And as Blewit has observed, the Tonaro one is not a IEC connector or "kettle" one, but the same as the Wisper one I drew attention to earlier in the thread.
I vaguely recall seeing this modified connector sold somewhere - intended as mains feeds for particularly critical equipment or to prevent unauthorised connections (in a similar way to how some bizzare variants of 13A plugs were or maybe still are used by the railways and Underground, as well as the BBC) but at least someone would have to be particularly daft to have an accident here as they would have had to make up a special lead to do so!

as for the Chinese, being part Chinese myself and obviously having a great interest in my ancestral culture, I wouldn't really class them as examples to follow as far as electrical safety is concerned.

individual life is a bit cheaper out in some Oriental nations and making a dollar often comes higher up the list than safety - and then when it kicks off they go to the other extreme and clamp down hard on everyones business.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, it was really computer use that popularised the IEC connector here.

In fact the kettle one is a high temperature special with a recess that corresponds with a receiving lug. The lug prevents a low temperature lead from being plugged in. The two diagrams below are not to scale, the standard IEC one left, the "kettle" one right.