Gin X

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
I
That is a great idea. Would be good to have a trusted bike mechanic if you find yourself in need at some point.
Worth to ask for sure.

if you decide to convert, and give us your postcode we can have a look at second hand suitable bikes in your area.
...or just buy a bike from Woosh or Wisper and don't waste time on research.
I would like to take you up on your offer as I have just been quoted 80 pounds to install a conversion, which with a 400-500 pound kit should give me 500 pounds for a good 2nd hand bike or else I think it may be the Whoosh Gran Camino at nearly 1600 pounds.
My postcode is WN80JL West Lancashire area I am 6ft 1in and 12 stone 4lbs if that helps

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I would like to take you up on your offer as I have just been quoted 80 pounds to install a conversion, which with a 400-500 pound kit should give me 500 pounds for a good 2nd hand bike or else I think it may be the Whoosh Gran Camino at nearly 1600 pounds.
My postcode is WN80JL West Lancashire area I am 6ft 1in and 12 stone 4lbs if that helps
If I was in your position I would bite the bullet and buy the Gran Camino. Doing a conversion is very cost-effective if you already have a bike and keen on DIY. If not, you run the risk that you end up with other extra labour costs for things that might need doing to the second hand bike. A budget of £500 is very good for a second hand bike, but you need to know what to look for.
With Woosh you get an all brand-new bike ready to go with all the kit attached that you might have to buy and fit otherwise (mudguards, rear rack, disc brakes) , warranty and excellent customer support.
My personal choice would be the Woosh Sanatana 3 with the 17Ah capacity battery, purely because the step-through frame would ensure that I can still ride during advancing years.
I'm more than happy with the conversions I did on my bikes, but it's not for everyone.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
..I am 61 in decent health, knees just about holding up, 12 stone 4lbs and the gradients around my home are up to 10 % but can be long stretches of uphill but less degree to boot. ..
At your weight and % gradients , I think you'll be fine , but I would say get a decent size battery if you are going to do a lot of hilly riding, maybe at least 500Wh if possible - you get more power with a fuller battery !

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I would like to take you up on your offer
With your budget you can look at new bikes too. I have seen few it really good price recently.
But have a look at few ebay offers nearby:

Last, but not least:

Battery might be a problem here, but it is worth considering.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
AZ, thanks so much for going to the trouble, but it is really a hybrid that I was after as I'll be mainly on roads and cycle tracks, I am a little too pedestrian for mountain bikes.
Les

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Apologies, I am so biased, no matter where I look I always end up with mtb :)

I use mtb on roads, trials, canal paths.... everywhere to be honest.
Trouble is there are not so many hybrids available around. Maybe a new would be an option? You have a very healthy budget.

Reactions: LesG

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
Apologies, I am so biased, no matter where I look I always end up with mtb :)

I use mtb on roads, trials, canal paths.... everywhere to be honest.
Trouble is there are not so many hybrids available around. Maybe a new would be an option? You have a very healthy budget.
No problem, I really appreciate the help, I know this sound silly but is it possible to change the tyres on a mtb to less rugged to make it more of a hybrid and better distance after conversion?
I like the look of the FX3, it's really local as well, but I would want to see some kind of receipt as he says it's only a few months old and he has only got 5 reviews on Ebay. It's a minefield isn't it?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Of course you can change tyres.

There is always a risk when you buy second hand goods, but in this case you would buy locally, so you get a name and address. Just make sure you finalize deal through Ebay so you have a proof of purchase.

I would also ask for a receipt because bike should be still covered by a warranty.

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
Of course you can change tyres.

There is always a risk when you buy second hand goods, but in this case you would buy locally, so you get a name and address. Just make sure you finalize deal through Ebay so you have a proof of purchase.

I would also ask for a receipt because bike should be still covered by a warranty.
I've contacted him already mentioning the same thing.
I have just been on whoosh site as well looks like it will be £649 for the 17Ah rear hub kit

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If you decide to buy a kit at Woosh, you pay a little bit extra, but you will get good British customer service, so don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions.

This Trek looks legit to me. Guy is selling it with very good £50-£100 worth d-lock. I suppose thieves don't sell bikes with locks. But of course before you buy, it would be good to try this bike and make sure it is exactly what you want and if size is right for you.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Looks nice 1*10 gears ? Will a 10 speed cassette fit on the rear hub ? (On my Bafang rear hub it said up to 9 speed cassette)

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Yes on my XF08C and DWG22C rear hub kits.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
This Trek looks legit to me. Guy is selling it with very good £50-£100 worth d-lock. I suppose thieves don't sell bikes with locks. But of course before you buy, it would be good to try this bike and make sure it is exactly what you want and if size is right for you.
[/QUOTE]

He ended the auction 25 minutes after I contacted him to see if I could view it etc......makes you wonder why?

• Useful
Reactions: Nealh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Heh... I thought it was because you bought the bike. Have no clue why he prematurely ended auction. I stopped applying logic to human behavior long time ago.
Unfortunately I don't see any interesting hybrids close to you at this moment.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One expects he is scammer and doesn't actually have the bike and LesG used logic asking to view the bike, asking soon puts the ct amongst the pidgeons.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

My favorite, but small frame only and no discount:

Last edited: