Gin X

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
Hello all.
Could you please have a look at the specs etc on this bike and give me your opinion.
I have up to 1.5k to spend on a new ebike but have seen this one for 1k.
It seems to have a very good battery and range with hydraulic brakes and Shimano Altus gears.
It has very good ( possibly paid for) reviews.
I am not a serious biker, just want to get out for a bit of fun and exercise
Now I know it's not top of the range, but for 1k do you think it is worth it? Would an extra 500 pounds get me THAT much more?
Thanks
Les

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello all.
Could you please have a look at the specs etc on this bike and give me your opinion.
I have up to 1.5k to spend on a new ebike but have seen this one for 1k.
It seems to have a very good battery and range with hydraulic brakes and Shimano Altus gears.
It has very good ( possibly paid for) reviews.
I am not a serious biker, just want to get out for a bit of fun and exercise
Now I know it's not top of the range, but for 1k do you think it is worth it? Would an extra 500 pounds get me THAT much more?
Thanks
Les
It's a solid enough bike that has all the normal Chinese stuff on it, so nothing to worry about. The only thing I have reservations about is how available the battery will be in a few years time when you need one. The price is not bad for what it is.

Personally, I'd be looking for something similar, but with a standard external battery, then it's easier to upgrade the battery when better ones become available.

One thing I need to mention. Don’t come on here asking about derestricting and other modifications after you bought it. Sort out that stuff before purchase if they're important to you. You'd be surprised at how helpful some suppliers are before you hand over your cash, then radio silence on these things afterwards.

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
It's a solid enough bike that has all the normal Chinese stuff on it, so nothing to worry about. The only thing I have reservations about is how available the battery will be in a few years time when you need one. The price is not bad for what it is.

Personally, I'd be looking for something similar, but with a standard external battery, then it's easier to upgrade the battery when better ones become available.

One thing I need to mention. Don’t come on here asking about derestricting and other modifications after you bought it. Sort out that stuff before purchase if they're important to you. You'd be surprised at how helpful some suppliers are before you hand over your cash, then radio silence on these things afterwards.
I must admit, I thought the battery inbuilt into the frame was great for anti theft and looks of the bike, but you have raised a doubt in my mind.
I am 61 now so probably have only about 10 years of riding for fun left in me so hopefully wont be much of a problem.
I am definitely not one to want to derestrict the bike, if I wanted a faster bike I would think about the Gin X 500w non street legal version

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I must admit, I thought the battery inbuilt into the frame was great for anti theft and looks of the bike, but you have raised a doubt in my mind.
I am 61 now so probably have only about 10 years of riding for fun left in me so hopefully wont be much of a problem.
I am definitely not one to want to derestrict the bike, if I wanted a faster bike I would think about the Gin X 500w non street legal version
Don't underestimate your ability to ride for fun! I only returned to cycling three years ago, and it wasn't until early this year that I felt the need for a bit of electric assistance. I'm 72 years old and health willing I'm expecting to carry on riding for many years.
Saneagle's comment regarding the battery is a good one. I've converted three bikes this year using Yosepower kits that have a separate "generic" battery. If those batteries become unavailable I will be able to instal almost any type as an alternative.
The only concession to my age that I will consider in future is to get a step-through framed bike. "Getting a leg over" becomes more difficult in more ways than one!

• Agree
Reactions: flash and LesG

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Hello all.

You might like to search our forum for this company. Owners appear from time to time and disappear quickly when faced with awkward questions. I must say they don't inspire confidence.
For example in one place they say battery is covered by 5 year warranty in another they say it is 18 months. Or they sell 614Ah batteries lol

Reactions: LesG

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I don't think the battery is a deal-breaker. There are always workarounds when you can't get the right battery for a bike like that with all standard Chinese parts.

There's another problem, though. Whoever thought that it's a good idea to put the battery lock in that position is nuts. It'll fill up with crud in no time, then become inoperable. That's if salt from winter roads doesn't sieze it up. That's probably not going to be a problem if you never take the battery out, but you'll probably have to drill the lock every time you do. That switch looks a bit vulnerable too.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
There's another problem, though. Whoever thought that it's a good idea to put the battery lock in that position is nuts. It'll fill up with crud in no time, then become inoperable. That's if salt from winter roads doesn't sieze it up. That's probably not going to be a problem if you never take the battery out, but you'll probably have to drill the lock every time you do. That switch looks a bit vulnerable too.
Last time when they were here (Marina was her name if I remember well) and we pointed that out they said they are aware of a problem and working on urgent solution.

... it was around a year ago.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Yikes if they mean 614w then thats a 48v 13ah battery for £350 built with no-name 'tesla-grade' cells?? i recently spent £250 on a 48v 17ah battery built with Samsung cells (allegedly) (every battery is a gamble to a degree.

there is a premium cost to those batteries for sure..

Have you considered a conversion on a 2nd hand bike? £500 could buy a lot of 2nd use bike leaving ample for a quality kit and any incidentals like lights locks etc.
The yosepower kit i installed recently was a straight forward job within the capacity of anyone able to fix a puncture.

Reactions: LesG and Woosh

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
It is not very reassuring if they don't know the difference between Ah and W, is it?
perhaps its a healthy sign leaving the 'poster design' job in the hands of the yts/intern rather than waste someone useful s time? shame they didnt update chat gpt prior to the ask tho.

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
Don't underestimate your ability to ride for fun! I only returned to cycling three years ago, and it wasn't until early this year that I felt the need for a bit of electric assistance. I'm 72 years old and health willing I'm expecting to carry on riding for many years.
Saneagle's comment regarding the battery is a good one. I've converted three bikes this year using Yosepower kits that have a separate "generic" battery. If those batteries become unavailable I will be able to instal almost any type as an alternative.
The only concession to my age that I will consider in future is to get a step-through framed bike. "Getting a leg over" becomes more difficult in more ways than one!
I take on board the age thing, but all return journeys for me are up hill and in 10 years time I don't think I'll be classing that as riding for fun.
A step through is definitely and option, I asked the opinion on that a couple of months ago and got some abrupt answers

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
You might like to search our forum for this company. Owners appear from time to time and disappear quickly when faced with awkward questions. I must say they don't inspire confidence.
For example in one place they say battery is covered by 5 year warranty in another they say it is 18 months. Or they sell 614Ah batteries lol
I tried to search, but couldn't find anything regarding the Gin X
It now says 18 months for the battery

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
Last time when they were here (Marina was her name if I remember well) and we pointed that out they said they are aware of a problem and working on urgent solution.

... it was around a year ago.
Well they haven't, it still advertises the lock at the bottom of the battery

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
On this battery it looks like lock is on a side...

I contacted them yesterday and they said it was a straight replacement, but when I pointed out to them that the spare battery and the battery on the bike had different lock locations they said it was on the bottom, I have no idea why they show this photo as the replacement, it doesn't inspire confidence.....

LesG

Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2023
Yikes if they mean 614w then thats a 48v 13ah battery for £350 built with no-name 'tesla-grade' cells?? i recently spent £250 on a 48v 17ah battery built with Samsung cells (allegedly) (every battery is a gamble to a degree.

there is a premium cost to those batteries for sure..

Have you considered a conversion on a 2nd hand bike? £500 could buy a lot of 2nd use bike leaving ample for a quality kit and any incidentals like lights locks etc.
The yosepower kit i installed recently was a straight forward job within the capacity of anyone able to fix a puncture.
£350 is quite a good price isn't it?
I haven't got a bike now and although you hint that it is easy to do a conversion I know I would mess it up lol