Cyclist age

What age group are you in?

• Total voters

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember seeing him in November on TV Phil. If there'd been more e-bikes around 12 years ago, he might have switched to one instead of stopping cycling. :D

Last edited:

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm reminded of that French lady who died a few years ago at the improbable age of 122. What was especially amazing about her was that her life had been fully documented and it was accepted she really WAS that age. Anyway, part of the story was that she had given up cycling at the age of 108 because her eyesight was none too good and she realized she was becoming a danger to others!

I'll see if I can find the original details.....

Yep - found it -

Jeanne Louise Calment was born in Arles, France on February 21, 1875. She died on August 4th 1997.

She was credited with a number of funny comments. My favourite, on being asked how she had kept her excellent complexion into old age, is:

'I've only got one wrinkle and I'm sitting on it.'

Last edited:

detec52

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2011
Im 59 this week had lots of m/cycles over the last 45 years, love touring France in the summer on my Yamaha Majesty, and love riding my Juicy Sport electric bike. Rob.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Im 59 this week had lots of m/cycles over the last 45 years
You started riding them at 14 like me then Rob, so many of us did in the more relaxed days of the past. Poor kids these days get hounded and harrassed by the authorities as soon as they try to do anything like this.

detec52

Pedelecer
Jan 14, 2011
Hi Flecc, yes i used to go to the local community centre on a 195? green bantam, plunger rear end 125cc had great fun on her, was stopped by our local bobby a few times, was told to dismount and push!!! you know the score around the corner and back in the saddle!! they was the day's my lad. We have come along ways since them old day's, but above all i do love the electric bike scene. Rob.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I know them well, I left school and was in the motorcycle trade at 14 and often worked on the BSA Bantams.

I was lucky enough not to get hassled by the local bobbies since many of them were our customers and knew I rode customer bikes anyway. In addition, our workshop was a popular call-in point for warmth and a cuppa while on the beat, so no chance of them causing aggravation. ;)

Last edited:

theskip1

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2010
sm6
Sorry, I'll stop posting soon I promise!

. My wife thinks they're all old/fat people who are too lazy to cycle a 'real' bike. QUOTE]

dammed if you do dammed if you dont. us old fat people cant win.
of course any form of wheeled transport is lazyness powered or not.
tell her to walk if she wants to justify a statement like that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sorry, I'll stop posting soon I promise!

. My wife thinks they're all old/fat people who are too lazy to cycle a 'real' bike. QUOTE]

dammed if you do dammed if you dont. us old fat people cant win.
of course any form of wheeled transport is lazyness powered or not.
tell her to walk if she wants to justify a statement like that.
I wonder if aroncox's wife drives a car! :rolleyes:

Just an observation from this 66 kilo (10 stone 6 lb) "old fat person". :p

Mind you, she has a point. I remember attending an e-bike show with my brother, at which most there were e-biking enthusiasts.

My non e-biking brother's observation afterwards was that he'd never seen so many fat people at one event before. :(

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
hmmmm

Well im 28, 12.5 st 6ft and of an athletic build. Im not "fit" but i could run a few miles and i could cycle even more.

I like the idea of an ebike because it helps me to get to work without being sweaty plus i have to visit other premises during the day and as my driving is coming to an end i know i cant rely on the bus. Next best thing is something that doesnt need a license and something i can ride.

I just wish they could have more speed as standard

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
The 15.5mph is the legal assisted limit although most bikes will go a touch faster. At the tender age of 28 I'm sure you'll get fit pretty quick so will be able to go faster and also be virtually sweat free on your commute. ;)

---------------------------------
Posted using Tapatalk :)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I'm 26, an doing my commute in this weather i'm never sweat free. Still look like i've ran a marathon lol. Either way its good for you and means you never slow down that much!

brueh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 13, 2011
I am 26 and I ride electric because I think it is the future of commuting. Have an electric bike for about a year, but I am a pretty competitive driver on a conventional bike as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We are certainly getting many more younger members now, with Jon at 28 and Scotty and Brueh both at 26 the latest to join.

Not long now before I'm 26 for the third time. :eek:

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
I am 26 and I ride electric because I think it is the future of commuting. Have an electric bike for about a year, but I am a pretty competitive driver on a conventional bike as well.
I agree with that, in fact if a decent electric car was released tomorrow well not tomorrow as its a bank holiday but on Tuesday, that had a good range on it and was a reasonable spec i would sell our current car that the wife uses and get the electric one. Even if the 0-60 on it was slower than 7 secs thats how much i think they are the future. :D

Its nice to know that there are others around my age on here not that i have anything against the older peeps but our needs are different and we relate to different things