Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
No, the autoimmune disease increase is fueled by the Covid vaccines. Dr Bossche is predicting an imminent catastrophe.
This pseudoscience nonsense has been comprehensively debunked.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"‘Unusual’ cancers emerged after the pandemic. Doctors ask if covid is to blame.

It’s not a new idea that viruses can cause or accelerate cancer. But it will probably be years before answers emerge about covid and cancer."

" A 20-30% rise in new patients
Multiple patients with multiple cancers
Couples and siblings developing cancer within months
Cancer patients relapsing after years of remission"

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
My personal observation from living part time in France since 1997 is that while in general there are far fewer obese people than in the UK that the numbers have been increasing over the years.
Thanks to the sadly departed Dr Michael Mosley's programme I watched on intermittent fasting, I have lost 3 and 3/4 stones over about 2 years, but annoyingly, still have a stone to lose according to the NHS BMI calculator. I'll get there eventually. :rolleyes:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Thanks to the sadly departed Dr Michael Mosley's programme I watched on intermittent fasting, I have lost 3 and 3/4 stones over about 2 years, but annoyingly, still have a stone to lose according to the NHS BMI calculator. I'll get there eventually. :rolleyes:
Take no notice of the NHS BMI calcuclator. It is a VERY ROUGH guide only and takes no account of different body structure (build) and I am not using the word build to mean obese. Many people of strong or sturdy build come out as pretty overweight on the BMI standard just because they are well muscled and strong boned. Height is not the only applicable factor in determining a person's healthy weight.

On Mosely.... Sad, his podcasts could at times be annoying (*), but I am sorry he died early in such a daft way. Sixty Eight year old man attempts steep, remote and rugged walk in 40 degree heat, without mobile phone and if the story I heard is right - without water.... And alone.

He did have a big impact on the health of a lot of people. His 5:2 diet is widely used and it works. As you attest Guerney - along with many other people.

(*) I used to get mad at his jolly little 'experiments' with three participants in each experimental condition, where three people did one thing and three people did something else. Then he used to ask them how they felt and tried to draw conclusions about the effectiveness of whatever it was they were doing. Complete tosh. A sample size like that tells you nothing at all. You need data from hundreds of participants to establish anything meaningful, and what people report about how they feel is completely unreliable if you want to draw any general conclusions.

Still - it was only a gimmic to keep people interested and he certainly did that.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Take no notice of the NHS BMI calcuclator. It is a VERY ROUGH guide only and takes no account of different body structure (build) and I am not using the word build to mean obese. Many people of strong or sturdy build come out as pretty overweight on the BMI standard just because they are well muscled and strong boned. Height is not the only applicable factor in determining a person's healthy weight.
True. I have to keep shedding weight and exercising until unpleasant bodily happenings cease to occur. Besides, I look forward to wearing my very cool but old leather jackets again, and being able to zip or button them up.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
True. I have to keep shedding weight and exercising until unpleasant bodily happenings cease to occur. Besides, I look forward to wearing my old leather jackets again, and being able to zip or button them up.
Ha ha ha - YES. I know that leather jacket issue. I recently managed to get into my 1990's leather motor bike jacket..... Just. I had been no where near to zipping that up for years. I can now, but I look like a seal in it. I need another ten pounds or more off at least. I might do a bit of 5:2 in honour of poor old Mosely.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
"‘Unusual’ cancers emerged after the pandemic. Doctors ask if covid is to blame.

It’s not a new idea that viruses can cause or accelerate cancer. But it will probably be years before answers emerge about covid and cancer."

" A 20-30% rise in new patients
Multiple patients with multiple cancers
Couples and siblings developing cancer within months
Cancer patients relapsing after years of remission"

More likely the issues that started killing people in the UK after the pandemic are due to late presentation at the doctors.

The NHS went into a crazy self protect mode and continues to do so as far as Primary Care is concerned. Luckily, I haven't been near the surgery in ten years, but people all over the country can't get appointments to be seen. If people are put off seeking medical advice, they wait until problems are impossible to ignore any longer and when they do turn up in front of a doctor, they have some horrible advanced and incurable condition.

By the way - excess deaths are no longer an issue.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The stone that's left might be a kidney or gall stone. They're not bad in themselves unless they move to a position where they create a blockage, then all hell breaks loose. They can be broken up with ultrasound, so if it really won't shift, try sleeping with one of these on your belly or back:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
By the way - excess deaths are no longer an issue.

They finally found algorithms that worked. It took them long enough.

Actually, it's patently obvious that would happen. When you compare the present with the average of the last 5 years and there was a step change 5 years ago, the change will be reflected in both the 5 year average and today's results, so it would show no excess.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The stone that's left might be a kidney or gall stone. They're not bad in themselves unless they move to a position where they create a blockage, then all hell breaks loose. They can be broken up with ultrasound, so if it really won't shift, try sleeping with one of these on your belly or back:
I've had one many years ago, I believe I broke it it up with the juice of 25 lemons - the shards felt like razor blades as I pissed them out. Losing weight too rapidly can lead to kidney stones, which is why I've done it slowly over two years. Never want to go through that again. I reliably lose 2lbs a week eating one meal a day for 5 days a week, but it isn't safe if you have health problems and I don't recommend anyone do the same. There are loads of safer intermittent fasting regimes to choose from. The blood sugar spike eating one big meal a day could kill diabetics; cause heart attacks and strokes. Best consult your doctor first, obviously you'll need a seance if that's Dr.Mosley.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
They finally found algorithms that worked. It took them long enough.

Actually, it's patently obvious that would happen. When you compare the present with the average of the last 5 years and there was a step change 5 years ago, the change will be reflected in both the 5 year average and today's results, so it would show no excess.

2024 still tracking 2019 (which was a record low year)

Reactions: Ghost1951