Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Interestingly, the study found that formal musical training had only a small impact on performance."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Scientists Discover a New Hormone that Can Build Strong Bones
Researchers at UCSF and UC Davis solved a long-standing puzzle on how the bones of breastfeeding women stay strong even as they lose calcium to milk.

• Dislike
Reactions: richtea99

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"The fastest top speed ever achieved by a human was Bolt’s 12.42 meters/second (27.8 mph)."

"However, anatomical studies suggest peak speeds up to 15.6-17.9 m/s (35-40 mph) are achievable."

• Dislike

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Cure for male pattern baldness given boost by sugar discovery

The key to curing male pattern baldness - a condition that affects up to 50 per cent of men worldwide - could lie in a sugar that naturally occurs in the human body, according to scientists at the University of Sheffield.

"Study found that applying a small dose of a pentose sugar 2-deoxy-D-ribose (2dDR) stimulates hair to regrow

Findings from the study show that the deoxy ribose sugar is as effective at regrowing hair as Minoxidil - an existing drug used to treat hair loss. However, the research offers a potential alternative approach to stimulating hair growth through a naturally occurring deoxy ribose sugar. "

Last edited:
  • Dislike

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

richtea99

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 8, 2020
Komodo dragons have iron-coated teeth, scientists find
Reptile’s teeth found to have covering that helps keep serrated edges razor sharp and resistant to wear

Seriously?

Nothing even remotely to do with 'Cycling. Health. Covid. Diet.'
The same goes for the 'Bananas Don’t Taste Like They Used To'.

Rather than post inane links with no added value, try commenting on why they're of interest to Pedelecs. That might cause you to think about your posts.

• Disagree
Reactions: lenny

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Does the Future Hold a Treatment Technique that Could Regrow Teeth?

How Gum Disease Can Lead to a Stroke

• Dislike

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
There are varied reasons why an individual might choose to cycle (e-bike or not), but I’m sure for many people, the health benefits are a primary driver. Speaking personally, getting back into shape was the no1 thing that made me want to get back on two wheels (and the hills around where I live was the no1 reason to buy an ebike to let me achieve that original goal!).

However one thing I’ve come to realise, and this is especially true the older you get, is that you can’t exercise yourself out of a bad diet. If you want to be healthy, you need both. Exercise AND a good diet.
And of course, right here, right now, as well as all the other commonplace ailments, we have Covid-19 to deal with. The data indicates that its more likely than not you’re going to catch it at some point, and the only thing that’s going to protect you is your own immune system and general state of health. The statistics also show that its people with co-morbidities/existing medical conditions are the ones by far most likely to die.
So it seems logical that everybody should be doing as best they can to improve their general state of health and get their immune system in peak condition. Which means exercise and diet.

I see a fair bit of talk about the exercise side of things, but not so much on the diet aspect. So I thought I’d start this thread to hopefully instigate a discussion on what people are doing or thinking about changing regarding the food they eat (or the exercise for that matter). Either because you’ve already altered your eating habits when you started cycling and exercising some time ago, or maybe the current situation has given some urgency to re-evaluate your nutritional strategy?

Experiences or thoughts welcome.
Update from my post of 4 years ago. To contribute to my good health, I now avoid all processed food wherever possible. Also, I’m on a meat free diet, no alcohol, sugars or smoking. I’m 86 now and still do a regular 17 mile cycle route daily when weather permits.

Reactions: guerney

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Update from my post of 4 years ago. To contribute to my good health, I now avoid all processed food wherever possible. Also, I’m on a meat free diet, no alcohol, sugars or smoking. I’m 86 now and still do a regular 17 mile cycle route daily when weather permits.
Good for you - - at least on the avoidance of processed foods and ridig your bike - oh - and not smoking.

But - as the old joke said,

A person asks their doctor how to live longer. The doctor advises them to give up alcohol, smoking, and unhealthy foods, and to exercise regularly.
The person responds, "And that will make me live longer?"
The doctor replies, "Well, it will certainly seem longer."

:)

artspeck

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2016
Sunderland
Good for you - - at least on the avoidance of processed foods and ridig your bike - oh - and not smoking.

But - as the old joke said,

A person asks their doctor how to live longer. The doctor advises them to give up alcohol, smoking, and unhealthy foods, and to exercise regularly.
The person responds, "And that will make me live longer?"
The doctor replies, "Well, it will certainly seem longer."

:)
I notice you’re from the Tyne Valley and I’m from Sunderland so here’s a joke in local dialect: I recently went to the Doctors who is a Geordie. I said Dr I have knee pain when I’m cycling. He said if you have nee pain, what’s your problem?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I notice you’re from the Tyne Valley and I’m from Sunderland so here’s a joke in local dialect: I recently went to the Doctors who is a Geordie. I said Dr I have knee pain when I’m cycling. He said if you have nee pain, what’s your problem?
Ha ha ha - Love it. 'Ave, got nee pain at all man. Nen!

Mind yee - A'am a pain in the arse tae everybody else man. Just ask thems aroond here.'

Reactions: artspeck