Help! Converting folder bike to cassette

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Also, what would be the best KT PAS sensor to fit this
(I'm fine removing cranks)
You can use any one you want. The enclose type that clip into the left side BB are neat, but not as durable as the open type because they get clogged with dirt that jams and wears them, though the open type can get busted if the chain comes off or they can wear through if they keep getting clogged with dirt. My favourite is the 10 magnet open type.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
The enclose type that clip into the left side BB are neat
..........done 10,000 fair weather miles with one of those. I`d hazard a guess the mother in law will be a fair weather rider as well.
I`ll add that my next mile stone is 12,427.424 miles just to keep the enthusiasm going.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Just musing about battery placement - my mother in law is quite petite so I think a 36V 10Ah battery will be fine

Img_2024_10_09_14_11_52.jpeg

PXL_20241007_140554763.jpg

I was thinking about a seat post battery, either mount it on the seat post , underneath the saddle, or on the handlebar tube , or wondering if I could do something with this mounting point for a front basket. Weight will be around 2.5 kg

Any opinions or ideas ?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I decided rear rackmount was the best option because it doesn't impede folding. CofG is pretty low (a tad lower on my Dahon Helios P8), so it doesn't affect handling much... unless I am attempting literal 45 degree or greater inclines, in which case the rest of the bike's design is the bigger issue from the point of view of balance. Piece of pallet wood bolted through with the battery mount and nyloced on with short aluminium flat bars (chipboard joining plates), and rubber sheet in between, to prevent erosion of the aluminium rack - this was meant to be a temporary solution, but worked so well and is covered by two rucksack covers anyway, that I haven't bothered to upgrade it with the 100g lighter rectangular box section aliminium I bought to replace the pallet wood with (yet?). Rot-proof and lightweight (& filled with toxic poisons), is pallet wood... but my plan was to move the 19.2Ah battery nearer to the seatpost to improve balance. Like I said, not needed. I did eventually find saddlebags which fitted over the battery.

Or you could form something to fit the frame's curve and clear the hinge?

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/electric2011-dahon-jetstream-p8.10584/

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just musing about battery placement - my mother in law is quite petite so I think a 36V 10Ah battery will be fine

View attachment 60158

View attachment 60159

I was thinking about a seat post battery, either mount it on the seat post , underneath the saddle, or on the handlebar tube , or wondering if I could do something with this mounting point for a front basket. Weight will be around 2.5 kg

Any opinions or ideas ?
A rear rack battery would be simple and logical. Leave the front for a shopping basket, which is what she'd want.

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019

View attachment 60158

View attachment 60159

Any opinions or ideas ?
I think that basket mounting screw threads on the headtube are ideal because the you can have the weight of the battery and the controller at the front without that weight being added to the turning of the bike assuming you are fitting a front hub motor. I would fit a large enough basket that you can fit a waterproof base to and mount the controller and possibly battery pack underneath the basket. Of course this all depends on battery pack capacity and design and the controller but I've seen it done neatly on a rear rack and can't see why it couldn't be done one the front too. A little extra weight here will help with grip at the front. I do realise that it might interfere more with the fold at the front it depends on how its done I suppose. However it could be a really neat solution with all the wires except for the cadence sensor wires all being on the front of the bike and you could make the cables quite short and neat. Also returning to a normal bike would be relatively easy with removing the front basket and swopping to a normal front wheel.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I think that basket mounting screw threads on the headtube are ideal because the you can have the weight of the battery and the controller at the front without that weight being added to the turning of the bike assuming you are fitting a front hub motor. I would fit a large enough basket that you can fit a waterproof base to and mount the controller and possibly battery pack underneath the basket. Of course this all depends on battery pack capacity and design and the controller but I've seen it done neatly on a rear rack and can't see why it couldn't be done one the front too. A little extra weight here will help with grip at the front. I do realise that it might interfere more with the fold at the front it depends on how its done I suppose. However it could be a really neat solution with all the wires except for the cadence sensor wires all being on the front of the bike and you could make the cables quite short and neat. Also returning to a normal bike would be relatively easy with removing the front basket and swopping to a normal front wheel.
I'd quite like to do this as an experiment - it wouldn't interfere with the folding I think - I know this is a silly question but how do I find the correct screw thread for the headtubePXL_20241007_140554763.jpg