Carrera Vulcan e spec advise sort

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Is it worth the extra expense to sell ?

Jul 17, 2024
Halfords sell this Bafang PAS which is listed for a Carrera so I assume it will work with KT controller 3 pin male plug

it does not give any other dimensions pls see attached
If I were you' I'd buy a new BB. You can get them from Halfords for about £12. See what lengths they've got and get a longish one, which should have enough room for the pedal sensor on one end or the other. Actually, you can get a good idea of how much room there is by looking at the parallel part of the shaft between the tapered part and the cartridge.

You can't use the Suntoure torque sensor unless you use the Suntour controller, LCD and battery.
Ok thanks

I have been looking at the Hollowtech PAS on Yose and Bafang on Halfords looking at fitting this on the drive side of the Suntours Crank ie fitting the metal ring to the BB and then fixing the magnetic ring to the Crank it looks like it could work so the magnetic ring will go on the center part of the crank.

Do you know the optimal gap between metal ring and magnets ?

I am having a job getting the BB fixing ring off Only one of them on the drive side along with the black ring type clip not sure of it function bet it has no thread

I would like to keep the whole Crank set it if my design idear will work may need a few spacing washers.

please see photos

Attachments

Jul 17, 2024
Halfords sell this Bafang PAS which is listed for a Carrera so I assume it will work with KT controller 3 pin male plug

it does not give any other dimensions pls see attached

Ok thanks

I have been looking at the Hollowtech PAS on Yose and Bafang on Halfords looking at fitting this on the drive side of the Suntours Crank ie fitting the metal ring to the BB and then fixing the magnetic ring to the Crank it looks like it could work so the magnetic ring will go on the center part of the crank.

Do you know the optimal gap between metal ring and magnets ?

I am having a job getting the BB fixing ring off Only one of them on the drive side along with the black ring type clip not sure of it function bet it has no thread

I would like to keep the whole Crank set it if my design idear will work may need a few spacing washers.

please see photos
Sorry but no bet

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No it won't .
The Bafang Higo PAS connectors wire sequence differs to the KT Julet connector , fit wise they are compatible wiring wise they are not.
One can't mix and match Bafang Higo with any KT or system using Julet.

Jul 17, 2024
Is it worth the extra expense to sell ?
Not really for the amount of effort v return but I can not bring it back and a SH light weight project e bike will suit me better or I might keep it see how it rides when finished.

The wife has her heart set on her Giant Anthem even if I have to get a bracket made by an Engineer to get mid drive done to a high standard or a rear hub and the Carrera is to big and heavy for her

Jul 17, 2024
Happy days the Hafords Suntours motor works with the Yose kit .

Wire plug colour to colour match and work which is good as there was a chance the motor may have had a fault it was sold as seen ie not working by Halfords.

Now I just have to remember my soldering skills from model making when I was a kid to tidy up all the wires to factory standard.

Thanks again for all the advise it’s much appreciated .

Cheers

Baz

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Great well done.
We keep telling folks these will work with other controller kits, now you have to try it with KT to realise how much better torque /current control is.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2024
Did you have to grind off lugs on the downtube?
Just got it working today as motor was an unknown I took a chance on it as Hafords said basically sold as seen.

The PAS they sent is crap and does not fit , I asked for a different one .
And I just realised the Carrera has oil brakes so I had to order sensors.

The battery needs some thought as does the wiring as to final fitting .
I have gone down this route with this one as I want a factory finish look on it so a bit to do yet.
so no extra box or bag for the control unit .

I built my wife’s catering stall so I have lots of Ali and metals in my scrap bits so I will try make something to mount the battery holder to be a solid mount ,so I do not have to grind any thing off as some of the fixing points do not line up to well .
The third lowest fixing is under control unit so I am thinking about a way to secure this bit to strengthen it here some sort of slotting fixing. Using some metal epoxy glue.

post more pictures once it’s done next week.

.Practice for the Giant Anthem as it will be sacralige to grind any thing off on this bike . !

Jul 17, 2024
Great well done.
Wekeep telling folks these will work with other controller kits, now you have to try it with KT to realise how much better torque /current control is.
Happy to get the Suntours working today !

The KT kit should be here soon from top bike and now I have the yose 700c that came with the kit to put on my bike .

I would like to find a light weight battery as the motor and rim are quite heavy any suggestions?
The bike is so easy to ride it does not have to be so powerful .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just got it working today as motor was an unknown I took a chance on it as Hafords said basically sold as seen.

The PAS they sent is crap and does not fit , I asked for a different one .
And I just realised the Carrera has oil brakes so I had to order sensors.

The battery needs some thought as does the wiring as to final fitting .
I have gone down this route with this one as I want a factory finish look on it so a bit to do yet.
so no extra box or bag for the control unit .

I built my wife’s catering stall so I have lots of Ali and metals in my scrap bits so I will try make something to mount the battery holder to be a solid mount ,so I do not have to grind any thing off as some of the fixing points do not line up to well .
The third lowest fixing is under control unit so I am thinking about a way to secure this bit to strengthen it here some sort of slotting fixing. Using some metal epoxy glue.

post more pictures once it’s done next week.

.Practice for the Giant Anthem as it will be sacralige to grind any thing off on this bike . !
I don't understand. Would it be possible to take the battery off and show the downtube before you do anything to it. Another guy with a similar carrera bike, showed two big lugs stickking up that prevented the battery from sitting on the frame. I want to see if yours has them.

Jul 17, 2024
Ok will do

I have a guy on ebay interested in the Carrera ECU his is from a Vengance I think it may be an older model .

I have advised him to get some professional advice and fitting or try on here for some help .
pls see pictures attached of both ECU,s his is the dark one .

Attachments

Jul 17, 2024
What battery do you need? 36V?
Light battery means low capacity.
yes low AH would be ok the bike is so light I want to keep it that way.

Tobbike are also offering light weight motors unknown brand to me they are cheap enough but I am wondering if they are any good .

Its an old bike so cheap is good for this one.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
yes low AH would be ok the bike is so light I want to keep it that way.

Tobbike are also offering light weight motors unknown brand to me they are cheap enough but I am wondering if they are any good .

Its an old bike so cheap is good for this one.
PSW would be my first choice. Greenlance second. Woosh third.

Jul 17, 2024
I don't understand. Would it be possible to take the battery off and show the downtube before you do anything to it. Another guy with a similar carrera bike, showed two big lugs stickking up that prevented the battery from sitting on the frame. I want to see if yours has them.
Here I think you mean the mounting bolts they are raised by about 2mm ?

I am looking at drilling counter sink holes into the plastic mout.

The bottom one under the integrated metal control unit not sure yet .
file it down take it out and design something stuck to under side of ECU with a stud /dowel type fitting not sure yet have not got that far.

One thing I am planning to do is reduce the long part of the wire on the loom that goes to lcd throttle and brakes I am assuming it will be a straight forward cut and rejoin of the wire using soldering and heat shrink covers ? Colour or wire to wire on the single cable part ?
Its far to long !

just waiting for the other bits to arrive from Yose before I continue with the project next week.

Jul 17, 2024
Here I think you mean the mounting bolts they are raised by about 2mm ?

I am looking at drilling counter sink holes into the plastic mout.

The bottom one under the integrated metal control unit not sure yet .
file it down take it out and design something stuck to under side of ECU with a stud /dowel type fitting not sure yet have not got that far.

One thing I am planning to do is reduce the long part of the wire on the loom that goes to lcd throttle and brakes I am assuming it will be a straight forward cut and rejoin of the wire using soldering and heat shrink covers ? Colour or wire to wire on the single cable part ?
Its far to long !

just waiting for the other bits to arrive from Yose before I continue with the project next week.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks for that. It's different to what the other guy showed. His had aluminium lugs that stood up about 15mm.

Your fixing points are a bit awkward. You need a bit of support to stop the battery from twisting out the fixings. This is what I did when I had a big gap on my Dahon. I wrapped the frame and battery holder in clingfilm, pasted a load of fibreglass into the gap, let it set, unbolt everything, grind the fibreglass to a neat shape and paint it. I had a perfect shape support for the battery.