Carrera Vulcan e spec advise sort

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Ok thanks all sounds good feel like I am going to get this done soon.

Definitely going for the KT contra and will look for the other bits on the sites you have recommended.
I just looked for a rear G370 motor, but I couldn't find one anywhere. Maybe Neal can tell us where he got his, otherwise an AKM100C, also called Q100C.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One must buy a KT lcd to use with the KT controller any other brand will not work .

The G370 is a lightweight front hub motor only 1.6kg and very good, I'm 80.5 - 0 81 kg and also tow a 100kg trailer at times with it , my terrain is flatish with small inclines here and there but nothing major.
One can get an Akiema for cheaper .
The G370 must go into steel forks as there is no way to fit torque arms and one can only fit one anti rotation washer because of where the motor cable exits. Of the hubs I have fitted it it ranks as one of the best I have used and fitted, my Bafang CST is great as is the AKM128C and the G370 is up there with them.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2024
One must buy a KT lcd to use with the KT controller any other brand will not work .

The G370 is a lightweight front hub motor only 1.6kg and very good, I'm 81 kg and also tow a 100kg trailer at times with it , my terrain is flatish with small inclines here and there but nothing major.
One can get an Akiema for cheaper .
The G370 must go into steel forks as there is no way to fit torque arms and one can only fit one anti rotation washer because of where the motor cable exits. Of the hubs I have fitted it it ranks as one of the best I have used and fitted, my Bafang CST is great as is the AKM128C and the G370 is up there with them.
Thanks Nealh very helpful I would have bought the yose One

Iam 5ft 8” 116kg I have lost 8kg so far need to get down to your sort of weight .

I just had a walk home from a local supermarket because the light weight Spezalised bike I have got a puncture.
It’s old needs some TLC but fantastic ly light and fast I am going to customise this with some cow horn handle bars , some type of seat suspension and try put some E into it to .
Spray it and get all the brand names off it.

But I better get some inner tubes first , I forgot how easy tubeless tyres get punctures of corse no puncture kit or pump with me

Maybe a couple of big wing mirrors and some tassels LOL back to the 1970s

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I think the G370 CST is a rare beast certianly looks very nice.

Jul 17, 2024
Everything about the Yose kits is good apart from the controller. Those Lishui controllers use speed control, which is shite. If you've never ridden an ebike before, you'll probably think it's OK, but once you've tried a KT, there's no way back. KT, as an upgrade, is about £80. Obviously, it's going to be a lot cheaper and convenient to to get a kit that already has one.

Alternatively, you can buy the components from China. PSWPower, Topbikekit, BMSBattery are all good suppliers. Some of them have Aliexpress listing too, which can make ordering a bit easier. I prefer to buy from China because you can get exactly what you want. They have everything.

I think I said it before, but I prefer to use the controller's with block connectors. Most ready-made kits don't have them. When you use the sealed waterproof ones and something doesn't work, it's virtually impossible to test what' wrong, and the cables are always too long, so you have to find a way to store the extra length. When you have a separate aluminium box type controller, it's very easy to change it for a different one if it takes your fancy. I just changed my 14A one to 22A because I'm a bit weak after illness. It's a 5 minute job to do that. You're pretty well stuck with the ones that sit in the battery receiver. My controller sits in one of those under-seat toolbars along with all the extra cable, a multi-tool and a puncture kit.

One more thing. When you buy a kit from China, like the PSWpower one, it's £2 extra to throw in a spare motor cable, like you want. The more things you add, the cheaper it becomes.
Hi Seneagle

I checked out the sites you recommended and bought the Control kit from Topbike
which when we work out the rest of the kit for the Giant we will use on that to keep.

We have decided to get the Carrera going with a full Yose kit including there rear wheel motor and rim and just change the whole kit with the 13AH battery that has the intergrated controler plug and play for my first conversion then I will have a choice to keep the Suntours or sell it with the rest of Carrera bits then we will sell the whole bike on as new .

The new owner will have the choice of buying a second battery or can easily upgrade once battery reaches the end of its life should they wish to do so.

I have decided for my self to get my old Spezalised light weight road bike converted and serviced
so very light and sit upright as I have Arthritis in the top of my spine so sitting up is more comfortable for me.

I have just taken off the Carrera Suntours Crank set off to sell on e bay and want to replace with some thing that will work with Yose right hand PAS in the kits they sell but agin not sure which one to go for as I would prefer to leave the bottom bracket in situ and not change it unless I have to.
its a single chain wheel no front gears.
See photo attached the bottom bracket right side is 22mm diameter
the left side has some sort of nylon spacer so not sure if a left handed PAS will work with this BB

Can you help with this pls

cheers
Baz

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi Seneagle

which when we work out the rest of the kit for the Giant we will use on that to keep.

We have decided to get the Carrera going with a full Yose kit including there rear wheel motor and rim and just change the whole kit with the 13AH battery that has the intergrated controler plug and play for my first conversion then I will have a choice to keep the Suntours or sell it with the rest of Carrera bits then we will sell the whole bike on as new .

The new owner will have the choice of buying a second battery or can easily upgrade once battery reaches the end of its life should they wish to do so.

I have decided for my self to get my old Spezalised light weight road bike converted and serviced
so very light and sit upright as I have Arthritis in the top of my spine so sitting up is more comfortable for me.

I have just taken off the Carrera Suntours Crank set off to sell on e bay and want to replace with some thing that will work with Yose right hand PAS in the kits they sell but agin not sure which one to go for as I would prefer to leave the bottom bracket in situ and not change it unless I have to.
the left side has some sort of nylon spacer so not sure if a left handed PAS will work with this BB

cheers
Baz
No photos!

I'm pretty sure that the Yose motor won't fit the Carrera. Take the back wheel off and have a look on the left side drop-out. Is it special for the Suntour torque arm?

If it's a special shape, use the TBK controller on that bike with the Suntour motor and use the Yose kit on the other bike. If you get the same 36v battery as a single item from Yose, you can swap them around whenever you want.

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh
Jul 17, 2024
Hi Seneagle

cheers
Baz
photos

Attachments

Jul 17, 2024
Wow this really is a mile field trying to swap things about .
so best just to wire into the Suntours and leave it be on the bike .
As advised on here already.
Thanks I was just about to start removing the cassette to put the wheel rim and motor on e bay

Jul 17, 2024
does this help ? As it would help it sell I think if it had one kit that was designed to work as one like the Suntours.

V

The rear wheel and motor are designed to fit on this bike and if wiring into Suntours is done to a professional standard then happy days.

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
does this help ? As it would help it sell I think if it had one kit that was designed to work as one like the Suntours.

V

The rear wheel and motor are designed to fit on this bike and if wiring into Suntours is done to a professional standard then happy days.
Those drop-outs look normal enough. Take the motor out and measure the distance between them and see what the drop-outs look like without the motor in.

Does that rubber spacer thing on the BB pull off.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The suntour control system is hit and miss, when it works it works well but often as we have seen it causes power issues.
The hubs have proven to work well.
Keep the hub motor within the original frame set up and keep the controller motor cable , if able to simply rewire the existing cable to the new controller . With a KT one should end up with anice control system , personally I would opt for 9 mosfet controller in a seperate bag.
If one wants an integrated battery/controller set up then wiring may be a bit more tricky as the controller is potted and for neatness one would really need to wire direct ot the pcb.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The suntour control system is hit and miss, when it works it works well but often as we have seen it causes power issues.
Keep the hub motor within the original frame set up and keep the controller motor cable , if able to simply rewire the existing cable to the new controller . With a KT one should end up with anice control system , personally I would opt for 9 mosfet controller in a seperate bag.
If one wants an integrated battery/controller set up then wiring may be a bit more tricky as the controller is potted and for neatness one would really need to wire direct ot the pcb.
Yes, the Suntour motor is quite a good one. It's the rest of the stuff that lets it down. It's not difficult to put a new connector on it or solder the motor wires direct. The motor cable has a connector on the other end anyway.

Jul 17, 2024
Those drop-outs look normal enough. Take the motor out and measure the distance between them and see what the drop-outs look like without the motor in.

Does that rubber spacer thing on the BB pull off.
No the rubber thing does not come off easily but if need s be I could cut it away to expose BB
The out side diameter of the BB is 22mm. Is this a further problem ?
And it looks like it’s longer than it needs to be for a standard Crank

the PAS sensor s I have looked at are over smaller than 22 mm Diameter
if I am looking correctly at then And how they fit.

I think it may be best to just buy a whole new crank set and BB Axel that fits that bike ?
what do you think ?

I think I will definitely keep the Suntours and if I buy the Yose kit get a 700c rear wheel motor that I can just fit on my old Spezalised Bike that works for me.

Jul 17, 2024
Yes I agree with the wiring issues and neatness plus my inexperience.

If I was keeping this I would put the KT or other controllers that you recommend and I will on the bike I am going to keep.

with this one I would like a very simple neat all new solution that breaks the need to buy 500 quid battery’s from Halfords so an integrated Yose battery kit will look neat and appeal to a first time buyer and allow for further easy upgrades should they then wish to do this later that’s my thinking to just get it sold and get my money back whilst learning a bit at the same time.

And making sure someone gets a decent bike too.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Tbh sell it as spares and repairs and spend money saved on another bike or kit.
Personally if it was mine with my knowledge I would go the KT route and use the existing battery by replacing the BMS with a generic one.
The intigrated battery /controller just makes diy a nightmare and pretty much unuser friendly, I always prefer a better controller using the remote placement option.

Jul 17, 2024
Tbh sell it as spares and repairs and spend money saved on another bike or kit.
Personally if it was mine with my knowledge I would go the KT route and use the existing battery by replacing the BMS with a generic one.
The intigrated battery /controller just makes diy a nightmare and pretty much unuser friendly, I always prefer a better controller using the remote placement option.
Don’t forget the biggest problem is there is no original battery with the bike and a refurbished one is around £480.00 plus £100 0dd for a charger

Phy Lion Batteries even after market with BMS in Holland for example are still over 400 quid around 10 AH so poor range

Ok so BMS is an electronic board on the battery that communicates with the Suntours controller?
basically locking the system together ?

Battery to controller to motor.

so we keep the motor as discussed lose the integrated control and battery and add a box or bag to house new controller. As highly recommended

I see this and agree that all round it’s better and leaves future upgrades more attractive plus the bike will perform better And should get more range with a higher AH battery ?

only down side it will not look as tidy as a integrated unit from a sales point of view.
which is compensated by the better performance.

so going back to the Suntours Crank Set and PAS
The crank sensor is missing from original Suntours crank and on e bay a new one is 40 quid for an original one, that you can not buy separately from Halfords.

question any reason that the Suntours PAS which has 4wires can not be connected to the new KT
controller with bullet type connectors then I do not have to change the crank either .

most of the other PAS sensors seem to have 3 wires or 3 pin plugs ?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Don’t forget the biggest problem is there is no original battery with the bike and a refurbished one is around £480.00 plus £100 0dd for a charger

Phy Lion Batteries even after market with BMS in Holland for example are still over 400 quid around 10 AH so poor range

Ok so BMS is an electronic board on the battery that communicates with the Suntours controller?
basically locking the system together ?

Battery to controller to motor.

so we keep the motor as discussed lose the integrated control and battery and add a box or bag to house new controller. As highly recommended

I see this and agree that all round it’s better and leaves future upgrades more attractive plus the bike will perform better And should get more range with a higher AH battery ?

only down side it will not look as tidy as a integrated unit from a sales point of view.
which is compensated by the better performance.

so going back to the Suntours Crank Set and PAS
The crank sensor is missing from original Suntours crank and on e bay a new one is 40 quid for an original one, that you can not buy separately from Halfords.

question any reason that the Suntours PAS which has 4wires can not be connected to the new KT
controller with bullet type connectors then I do not have to change the crank either .

most of the other PAS sensors seem to have 3 wires or 3 pin plugs ?
If I were you' I'd buy a new BB. You can get them from Halfords for about £12. See what lengths they've got and get a longish one, which should have enough room for the pedal sensor on one end or the other. Actually, you can get a good idea of how much room there is by looking at the parallel part of the shaft between the tapered part and the cartridge.

You can't use the Suntoure torque sensor unless you use the Suntour controller, LCD and battery.