Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

[Farage joins the Circus again, and Starmer announces that "there is no case for rejoining the EU in his lifetime" An at the annual conference of the labour party our old friend Jeremy Corbin gets elected a leader and on the platform "For the many not the few!" we start the process of jejoining the EU!
Regards Oldgroaner to any and all !

Reactions: guerney

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Same difference for OG, the best and longest lived threads are those I start. ;)
Flecc, I'm delighted you are still with us, I have been in hospital for almost a year, and many things have happened, worst of all was my dear wife died of dementia in December, I went in with a Liver problem complications, they found my heart was beating irregularly, so four days running they stopped it and started it again.
Still got the Brompton and original battery still fine.
And last we can see a return to EU membership in couple of years.
Perhaps you could start a new thread,
"Brexit, an unexpected journey?"
I'm sure the boys and girls at Menwith Hill have missed us! 58598

Reactions: Kenny and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, I'm delighted you are still with us, I have been in hospital for almost a year, and many things have happened, worst of all was my dear wife died of dementia in December, I went in with a Liver problem complications, they found my heart was beating irregularly, so four days running they stopped it and started it again.
I'm sure the boys and girls at Menwith Hill have missed us! View attachment 58598
Good to see you back OG but sorry to learn your wife finally passed away. I can sympathise with your heart problems since mine are now severe, permanent and limiting.

I would love to see us back in the EU but I don't see it happening for a very long time yet and doubt Starmer has any will to try for it. And of course would the EU want us back with conditions we'd accept? I could see them making return arduous to say the least, given all the trouble we caused them previously.

Time will tell, but with the lack of money it will take this Labour government quite a while to achieve any real change here or internationally.

Reactions: Kenny

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Good to see you back OG but sorry to learn your wife finally passed away. I can sympathise with your heart problems since mine are now severe, permanent and limiting.

I would love to see us back in the EU but I don't see it happening for a very long time yet and doubt Starmer has any will to try for it. And of course would the EU want us back with conditions we'd accept? I could see them making return arduous to say the least, given all the trouble we caused them previously.

Time will tell, but with the lack of money it will take this Labour government quite a while to achieve any real change here or internationally.
Sadly I'm inclined to agree on the timescale for our return to full. membership, perhaps a return to the good old "Common Market" could be a more immediate prospect?
In the meantime the Brexit voters in Clacton are out celebrating

• :D
Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I'm sure the boys and girls at Menwith Hill have missed us! View attachment 58598
Hi OG, I'm very sorry to hear that your wife has passed away. I hope your own health issues are under control.

I don't come here very often these days, but you will probably be amused to learn that I am of the opinion that Brexit is a disaster for the country. I was taken in :(. There is no Brexit goodness just around the corner, only decline :(. I should have listened, but I always have to learn the hard way ;).

Chainring

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hi OG, I'm very sorry to hear that your wife has passed away. I hope your own health issues are under control.

I don't come here very often these days, but you will probably be amused to learn that I am of the opinion that Brexit is a disaster for the country. I was taken in :(. There is no Brexit goodness just around the corner, only decline :(. I should have listened, but I always have to learn the hard way ;).
Hullo Tillson. You made the right choice. I voted for remain, and have friends in France, but I did not realise how evil the EU lot are. I have learned a lot over the last four years. If you watch The Duran, or Alex Christoforou etc, you may see the other side of the coin. Boris Johnson sat there on TV and told us to get The Jab, knowing full well what it would do to us. He went to Kiev to scupper any peace agreement with Russia. He has now been sent to scupper any efforts by Mr Orban to bring peace to Ukraine, and the EU is doing its best to stop Hungary having any voting rights. Is this really what you want to get back into? They only want WAR, because that is what brings in the money. Fighting to the last Ukranian. Terrible.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hullo Tillson. You made the right choice.
about 2 out of 3 (66%) now think brexit was a mistake.
The problem was that Cameron and Osborne made a pig's ear of the work done at the Treasury and BoE to prevent a possible collapse of some UK banks and the likely inflation following brexit. The key point is we were not going to leave immediately or soon after the vote. Osborne went on TV before the vote to put the fright to voters. 500,000 redundancies, mortgage rate going up, inflation etc. That backfired spectacularly. The BoE and Treasury knew that weren't going to happen immediately but it was not their job to do the explanation. After the vote, only one of the predictions happened more or less immediately, the Pound sank 20%. The rest will start later from 2021 on. Since, the compound effect of brexit on the economy puts us about 2%-3% down in 3 years.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
about 2 out of 3 (66%) now think brexit was a mistake.
The problem was that Cameron and Osborne made a pig's ear of the work done at the Treasury and BoE to prevent a possible collapse of some UK banks and the likely inflation following brexit. The key point is we were not going to leave immediately or soon after the vote. Osborne went on TV before the vote to put the fright to voters. 500,000 redundancies, mortgage rate going up, inflation etc. That backfired spectacularly. The BoE and Treasury knew that weren't going to happen immediately but it was not their job to do the explanation. After the vote, only one of the predictions happened more or less immediately, the Pound sank 20%. The rest will start later from 2021 on. Since, the compound effect of brexit on the economy puts us about 2%-3% down in 3 years.
However, I see reeves plan to increase capital gains tax, tax pension contributions 30%. Anything to avoid actually taxing offshore tax havens, big corporations. Even a lefty like me can see the middle classes cannot be extorted more.

Reactions: tillson

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
UK never left the EU, it was all a sham? EHCR blocked the Rwanda gambit, y? "Free" trade rules are dictated by EU, y?. And now there's plan for "Free Movement of Under 30's from EU"? So anyone Under 30 that has reached Europe may be given passports and a one-way ticket into Britain, all "legal"?
Enjoy EU (Endless Undermining) :)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Michel Barnier has just been nominated the new French PM.

Advertisers