Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
I assume your car if an i.c one uses the brakes to hold the rignt speed? My e-car goes one better, using regen to hold the speed while charging th battery as a bonus, so no brake wear.

My car is much better in these respects, but too good it seems. For example, our residential roads are 20 limit and it reads all those official signs ok and displays them on the dashboard, even 5 mph ones in factory areas. It doesn't miss anything, and that is its failing. At the end of my estate 20 mph road it joins a 30 limit through road and there's a 30 limit sign at the end to trigger that change. The car instantly shows that but as it turns left into the 30 road, it also spots the signs at the entry of the road opposite and changes to that, which happens to be 20 again.

So it then maintains 20 is the limit in that 30 road right to the end of that road until the sat nav is able to finally correct the error. The sat nav problem is that there's two 30 limit roads at right angles to each other, surround by a packed network of 20 mph streets. Given the distance inaccuracies of sat nav, it simple cannot distinguish them from each other from signals received in a constantly moving vehicle.
My own car does use brakes - the other one I regularly drive is hybrid and can use regen to some extent.

Yes, a particular spot near here, the "main" road does a right-turn and remains at 30, the straight-ahead direction is signed 20 mph just a few metres past the turn. The car always indicates 20 until we reach the next turn/sign.

The sign reading can also do funny things like suddenly decide that I am exceeding the speed limit (the colours invert) when the limit is 30 and the car is doing 20. Also dirt or rain can make it fail to read signs.

So long as the maps are correct and up to date, GPS does work better overall.

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Were we not leaving the EU perhaps cars sold in the UK would be able to access the survey grade positioning data from Galileo. Centimetric positioning accuracy along with a refined speed limit database would allow the exact speed limit to be applied.

Road surface implants are prohibitively expensive and always create a weakness in the upper layers of the road structure.
They also have to be replaced when the road is resurfaced.
But aren't we going to have our own BritSatNav GPS system?

Last edited:

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
But not true for almost all e-cars. I've posted elsewhere that Tesla are irresponsible and I'd never buy one. You may have seen how their cars have amazing range and performance for e-cars.

The reason is quite simple, they use huge number of high density small cells just like the 18640s in our e-bike and e-motorbike batteries. They are to save weight and space, but are highly stressed and can catch fire on occasions as we well know in this forum. One Tesla model for example has 6,200 18640 cells in its battery, meaning a very high risk of one going up and setting off the rest.

Others like my Nissan do things very differently, as Woosh and I have previously explained. With less space and weight problems, it uses large low density cells which are not in the least stressed. Added to that the controller limits the performance far below Tesla levels, though still more than enough, so the battery is never worked anywhere near as hard as our bike ones and Tesla one's are.

At nearly 300,000 there are more Leafs on the road than any other e-car worldwide, but there has never been a single traction battery fire on one. Even when spent for car use, they safely go into the home storage units that accept solar power for later use or resale to the grid.
But why do tesla batteries have such a long life (eight year warranty and i read about some long distance limos in california that did 180k miles on a powerpack)?

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
To be fair though most days few people take any notice of any of those notices anyway, do they?
The best way of watching the world go by has always been to drive at the speed limit.
I am surprised how few vehicles overtake me - even when there is a suitable extra lane available. Certainly some do but I have actually got used to being part of a nicely spaced out, near-speed limit "convoy".

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Agreed, but in Britain where we can't repair potholes and nearly all speed cameras are out of use through inability to maintain them, is it likely in more than one or two places?
Bizarrely, down here the roads are generally better than most of the rest of the UK - or at least what I am familiar with. Even just over in Carmarthenshire they are worse.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But why do tesla batteries have such a long life (eight year warranty and i read about some long distance limos in california that did 180k miles on a powerpack)?
That's true of all newer e-cars, including mine. As you can appreciate, most cars spend most of their life at a fraction of their possible performance due to speed limits, town use etc., so that allows the lightly used batteries to last a long time.

The problem is the odd Teslas that get worked very hard, which in combination with their highly stressed cells causes fires, and they've had quite a few. Even the new model 3 had had a burnout before even going on sale to the public!

But no matter how hard I try to work my Leaf, it isn't ever likely to be stressed enough to do that. The South East traffic helps with that too! One original Leaf in the West Country used as a taxi ever since has covered over 100k miles on the same battery,

I think Tesla are just as irresponsible with the self drive technology too, releasing it as safe to use automated only. Not many of these about yet, but two people killed already.

I have exactly the same tech on my car, but Nissan's attitude could not be more different. They warn, never use it without retaining control and never use it over 60 mph.

Last edited:

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
She's a woman!

Many women won't change their minds, they claim this imaginary quality they call intuition which makes them certain they cannot possibly be wrong.*

Margaret Thatcher was a prime example, and the EU had the same trouble with her. They made the mistake of giving in to her, but they won't make that mistake now.

Fortunately our administrator HelenJ isn't like that so she won't delete this post (hopefully! :)).

* I blame the Victorians, they had a code of good manners which included the maxim that one must never tell a lady that she is wrong, only at most that she might have been misled. (by a man of course)

Wow. I know you are of a certain age @flecc and you feel this forum is yours because you helped out once and started this thread.

But seriously?

Try saying this to Helen or another woman in your wildlife organisation face to face and see what they say. It’s not on mate.

Yes I think May is useless. But it’s not because she’s a woman or because of some Victorian rule you’ve made up.

A remainer trait seems to be arrogance and a self belief known only to royals and millennials, but your 80 odd ffs.

Where is this lack of respect to women come from? I can only assume this was how you were brought up.

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks but you can teach it respect.

Seriously snow flecc. You are the first to call foul when it comes to you. But women are fair game?

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6853561/Key-Eurosceptic-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-says-Theresa-Mays-deal.html

Sorry but if this is true then we truly need a remain victory. The idea her ‘deal’ written by the EU ever makes it to statute confirms we are the eunuchs of the EU.

We already were by not being participating in the EURO but to hand over everything and pretend we are equal partners is a joke.

Mogg is worse than scum if he really believes this. How have we been led down this Tory rabbit hole?

It’s madness. Sheer madness. Any leaver that thinks that Mays deal is better than what we have is below contempt. Treason. I would call Mays deal treason.

It’s worse than the worst of both worlds.

• Agree
Reactions: daveboy and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wow. I know you are of a certain age @flecc and you feel this forum is yours because you helped out once and started this thread.

But seriously?

Try saying this to Helen or another woman in your wildlife organisation face to face and see what they say. It’s not on mate.

Yes I think May is useless. But it’s not because she’s a woman or because of some Victorian rule you’ve made up.

A remainer trait seems to be arrogance and a self belief known only to royals and millennials, but your 80 odd ffs.

Where is this lack of respect to women come from? I can only assume this was how you were brought up.

You can’t teach an old dog new tricks but you can teach it respect.

Seriously snow flecc. You are the first to call foul when it comes to you. But women are fair game?
Didn't you read my replies to Zlatan, showing that I wasn't picking on all women, or any at all for that matter? And that I respect women and work with and for them.

And why haven't you replied similarly to posts where I've attributed negative things to some groups of men with similar justification?

I'm sure I know why, it's because you are just jumping on a current PC bandwagon.

And what's with all the arrogant assertions? I don't regard the forum as mine and have always protested that I am just another member. I haven't made up a Victorian rule, as you'd know if you knew more about that era's life. And I haven't "once" helped out in the main forum, I have always and still do. For example try this post from earlier today.

Last edited:
  • Agree

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
It's not just Tesla.
Lithium traction batteries are far more robust than media reports would suggest. Clarkson type comments about having to replace them every three years have been proved to be utter nonsense.
The taxi in St Austell which flecc mentioned actually travelled 174,000 miles and was rapid charged once or twice a day.
Leafs (Leaves ?) used to have an option to only charge to 80% to prolong battery life but Nissan says this is no longer required.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Alternatively could they not be mast or gantry mounted?
They could be, but again this is a lot of expensive infrastructure to install and maintain whereas each vehicle would only need a GPS receiver, which most have, and in the near future a 5g data connection for the speed restriction database.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
They could be, but again this is a lot of expensive infrastructure to install and maintain whereas each vehicle would only need a GPS receiver, which most have, and in the near future a 5g data connection for the speed restriction database.

Just make every five lamppost a charging point.

It’s really easy to do.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Just make every five lamppost a charging point.

It’s really easy to do.
how are we going to power so many charging lamp posts?
it will take years to develop the charging network. One possible solution is flow batteries as energy source in the near future.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The government has responded to the “Revoke article 50 and remain in the EU” petition and has announced that it will debate it in Westminster on Monday.

The petition has so far garnered more than 5.7m signatures.

Here is the full text of the response by the Department for Exiting the European Union:

This government will not revoke article 50. We will honour the result of the 2016 referendum and work with parliament to deliver a deal that ensures we leave the European Union.
It remains the government’s firm policy not to revoke article 50. We will honour the outcome of the 2016 referendum and work to deliver an exit which benefits everyone, whether they voted to leave or to remain.
Revoking article 50, and thereby remaining in the European Union, would undermine both our democracy and the trust that millions of voters have placed in government.
The government acknowledges the considerable number of people who have signed this petition. However, close to three quarters of the electorate took part in the 2016 referendum, trusting that the result would be respected. This government wrote to every household prior to the referendum, promising that the outcome of the referendum would be implemented. 17.4 million people then voted to leave the European Union, providing the biggest democratic mandate for any course of action ever directed at UK government.
British people cast their votes once again in the 2017 general election where over 80% of those who voted, voted for parties, including the opposition, who committed in their manifestos to upholding the result of the referendum.
This government stands by this commitment.
Revoking article 50 would break the promises made by government to the British people, disrespect the clear instruction from a democratic vote, and in turn, reduce confidence in our democracy. As the prime minister has said, failing to deliver Brexit would cause “potentially irreparable damage to public trust”, and it is imperative that people can trust their government to respect their votes and deliver the best outcome for them.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/26/brexit-government-may-ignore-result-of-indicative-votes-process-says-hancock-live-news
What they are really saying is we know this vote was illegally polluted, but we don't care as it gave us an opportunity to really screw the public.
The rest of the message is to kid them they voted for what they are going to be clobbered with.
It is the will of the people to be robbed of your freedoms and rights.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The laxative is working!
From the Express
"
BREXIT CHAOS: PM nears SHOCK victory as rivals BACK DOWN - ‘Deal's BETTER than no Brexit!'
THERESA May was last night preparing to trigger a third Commons vote on her EU deal on Thursday following signs Tory Eurosceptics are ready to drop their opposition at last

Brino ahoy!

• Agree

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
From the Daily Mail
"'Sorry, but I WILL back May's deal': Key Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg reveals why he has changed his mind to save Brexit in dramatic article for the Mail... as Boris hints that he will switch too.

Oh to be a leaver, now that Brino's here
I almost feel sorry for them, such dreams come to nothing, because they trusted such liars!
He did add according to today programme "if the dup backs it" and apparently they wont, yet. We may yet see mays deal pass i fear

Advertisers