Brexit, for once some facts.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
This 'taking back control' independence malarky seems harder than it seems in practice - We are like a teenager threatening to leave home but can't seem to be able to pack our own bags, and depending on goodwilll will be hanging around for a while longer, if we don't suddenly find ourselves out on the streets sofa hopping...

Brexit Article 50: Tusk to ask EU to consider long extension

European Council President Donald Tusk has said he will appeal to EU leaders "to be open to a long extension" of the Brexit deadline, if the UK needs to rethink its strategy and get consensus.

His intervention came as UK MPs were set to vote on seeking to postpone the 29 March deadline to 30 June.
EU leaders meet in Brussels on 21 March and they would have the final say.

Prime Minister Theresa May has said that if her Brexit deal is not approved a longer extension may be necessary.
After two resounding defeats in the House of Commons, she will make another attempt to push her Withdrawal Agreement with the EU through next week.

All 27 other EU nations would have to agree to an extension, and Mr Tusk, who is the bloc's summit chairman, will hold talks with several leaders ahead of next week's Brussels meeting.

While European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker has insisted that any postponement "should be complete before the European elections" at the end of May, Mr Tusk made clear a longer delay was on the cards.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Not a chance! I simply posted a newspaper article, take up your argument with them!

But you post nonsense. If it’s not a copy or paste job. It’s insults, if it’s not that it’s you defending posting nonsense.

You are the human equivalent of spam.

Constant spamming of the thread. All day long. I feel sorry for you but from my point of view I find it incredibly tedious and I tend to avoid this forum these days.

• Dislike
Reactions: Wicky

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
But you post nonsense. If it’s not a copy or paste job. It’s insults, if it’s not that it’s you defending posting nonsense.

You are the human equivalent of spam.

Constant spamming of the thread. All day long. I feel sorry for you but from my point of view I find it incredibly tedious and I tend to avoid this forum these days.
although, it must be said, there are few things as tedious as your persistent, banal trolling

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Public enthusiasm,and moral victories are fine,but they don't butter parsnips. A decision on the impossible conundrum ,as flec says is necessary, otherwise 60%to 70% of the HoC will not get their wishes.
Boo hoo for the HoC. If the British public have any sense, they will never vote Labour, Conservative or Liberal again, for at least a generation. It’s the having any sense bit that we might struggle with over here.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Boo hoo for the HoC. If the British public have any sense, they will never vote Labour, Conservative or Liberal again, for at least a generation. It’s the having any sense bit that we might struggle with over here.
well, i guess its no coincidence that the more right leaning on the forum are becoming more angry as we slide relentlessly towards a a softer and softer brino. trying to hijack the uk on the basis of a wafer thin majority in a public opinion poll didn't work. i'm not going to stoop as low as to say as brexitters used to "we've won get over it". but the institutions with all their corruption and common sense will survive the tory madness of the poll. its a return to the usual corruption.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
well, i guess its no coincidence that the more right leaning on the forum are becoming more angry as we slide relentlessly towards a a softer and softer brino. trying to hijack the uk on the basis of a wafer thin majority in a public opinion poll didn't work. i'm not going to stoop as low as to say as brexitters used to "we've won get over it". but the institutions with all their corruption and common sense will survive the tory madness of the poll. its a return to the usual corruption.
What are you talking about? You make no sense at all.

• Disagree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's unfair to the LibDems. They campaigned as a Remain party in the GE and have never changed that position since. They therefore represented over 48% of the population and quite possibly over half the electorate now, as you yourself have acknowledged.

Being sensible for the Remain inclined would be to vote for them in any new referendum or GE.

• Informative
Reactions: oldgroaner

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Come off it. Since the meaningful January vote on May's deal you've posted 630 times in 54 days, oneof the highest rates of posting by anyone in the whole forum in that period.
crikey where do you get the stats? 12 posts a day. on the minimum wage that could be well over £1k. In zlatan terms fingers you could be well into a mostly reliable megane CC by now...

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
Come off it. Since the meaningful January vote on May's deal you've posted 630 times in 54 days, oneof the highest rates of posting by anyone in the whole forum in that period.

Not in the last three or four weeks. I had a look in during the vote obviously.

But it doesn't change the facts.

He is ruining the forum with spam and insults. Tedious beyond measure. The lack of wit is the biggest bore.

Edit. A lot of those of posts were not even in here as I was trying to get some other threads going. To little avail sadly. But at least I tried to inject some humour into here.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
But you and the 60million others cannot walk away from democracy. The choices are mob rule or elected representatives.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There are alternatives to the main current main political parties.
650 alternatives?. Perhaps if you had multiseat constituencies, and proportional representation, you would get a better balance and proportional HoC. Having a first passed the post system amplifies minor differences , whereas having say 150 ,4 or 5 seat ,the majority of the electorate get someone to represent them. It would mean that in some cases you would have A few Farages, but they might be balanced by a few Green party candidates etc. Once elected, each MP has the same power ,whether as the poll topping first person elected or the one who gets in at the 11th count.
The problem is that the single seat system favours the big parties,whereas multiple seats favour more representative democracy. It also encourages cross party local support,and coalition building.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers