Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And the New Statesman weighs in with this
https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/economy/2019/01/why-uk-cannot-see-brexit-utterly-utterly-stupid
Why the UK cannot see that Brexit is utterly, utterly stupid

The British press helped condone austerity. It's now blinding us to the stupidity of Brexit.
it's rooted in the self belief that we did do better than the continentals in the past so we can do equally better than them in the future.
It's also easy to believe that crises in Europe are due to corruption and there's a belief that we don't have corruption here.

BTW, plenty of my friends voted out and as a rule, we never speak about brexit.

Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
it's rooted in the self belief that we did do better than the continentals in the past so we can do equally better than them in the future.
It's also easy to believe that crises in Europe are due to corruption and there's a belief that we don't have corruption here.

BTW, plenty of my friends voted out and as a rule, we never speak about brexit.
I'm familiar with those beliefs. Some of my friends have the same treatment resistant delusions. We were instrumental in causing the 08 crash, we destabilised the middle east, we gave the world deregulated financial services and all the corruption spewing out of that. But we still feel superior. Maybe its because we're an island, that we're a captive audience for some truly banal propaganda we never question? I guess there's good reason friends who voted brexit don't want to talk about it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And Morgan becomes Italian...

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Yesterday evening my Youngest daughter came to visit and brought with her an early Mother's Day present.
"Why so early?" I queried "Because I shall be in Paris for a couple of weeks overlapping the end of the month Dad" she replied grinning.
"Spectacular timing as usual Dear" I ruefully responded....
There didn't seem much else to say.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Note how many spaces are empty. that shows the level of interest.
I guess MPs don't want to hear different views, most have chosen their side sometime ago.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Liam Fox says cabinet has signed off its plans for tariffs in case of no deal.
I guess we'll know if Chinese e-bikes are going to be cheaper next week.

Nev

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2018
North Wales
A lesson for our spineless weak-kneed government on how to Walk Away from dictators..

"You have to be prepared to walk!"
Trump gives Theresa May a lesson in negotiation, walking away from an intransigent dictator, whilst May embraces hers.

View attachment 29285
I'm no fan of TM but I don't think she could learn much from Trump. Apparently North Korea are rebuilding one of their rocket launch sites see link below.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47465082

This will probably be dismissed as fake news by DT. How does he get away with saying any news he doesn't like is fake? Dictators could do that in the 1930s, amazing how it still works in the 21st Century.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And Cox hasn't changed EU minds in trying to move previously agreed backstop goalposts which May had put forth and been agreed on. Menwhile the clock keeps ticking down...

'Difficult' Brexit talks see no breakthrough, European Commission says
As I wrote about 6 weeks ago,the EU will give as many clarifications and assurances that the guarantees relating to a border around the 6 counties is intended as a failsafe insurance, as requested . It is if regulatory divergence exceeds limits, that the insurance is required,and that is in UKs power.

Now it is also within the UKs power to have these limitations only applicable for NI,not the UK as a whole. At worst that would impact 1.5 million people... actually much less than that as the overwhelming number in NI want no physical border .

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'm no fan of TM but I don't think she could learn much from Trump. Apparently North Korea are rebuilding one of their rocket launch sites see link below.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-47465082

This will probably be dismissed as fake news by DT. How does he get away with saying any news he doesn't like is fake? Dictators could do that in the 1930s, amazing how it still works in the 21st Century.
KIM is doing what I would have done in his situation. He need only look at Gadaffi to see how trustworthy Western assurances are. The Kurds could equally give advice. A deterrence is only a deterrence when it exists.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A lesson for our spineless weak-kneed government on how to Walk Away from dictators..

"You have to be prepared to walk!"
Trump gives Theresa May a lesson in negotiation, walking away from an intransigent dictator, whilst May embraces hers.

View attachment 29285
I love your comedy material Tommie!
Who writes your stuff?

Fat Boy Rocket Man has run rings round Trump and is busily rebuilding the Missile sites after making Trump look the dumb and gullible oaf he really is!
And you admire Trump for that?
Seriously???

• Agree
Reactions: Nev and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Meanwhile our idiot in chief and a minion had this to say
"
Theresa May has urged MPs to "give up being a member of the European Union" for Lent as a Tory MP called on the Commons to back her Brexit deal.
Simon Hoare said at PMQs: "Today sees the start of Lent, traditionally a time of abstinence and giving things up. Recently its become about doing something new and positive.
"Would she agree with me, that it would do our national soul some good if we all took up voting with the Government to leave the EU with her good deal and in an orderly fashion on the 29th March?
Mr May replied, saying that Mr Hoare had put forward a "very positive suggestion" for MPs to back her deal.
She added: "And then of course across this House, we would all be able to give up being a member of the European Union on the 29th March."

Here's a better idea Give up Brexit, you know you want to.
Courtesy of the indpendent

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Strange how one mans poison is another's sugar......

The chief whip, Julian Smith, has warned cabinet ministers that, if MPs reject Theresa May’s deal a second time next week, parliament would take control and force a softer Brexit.

As part of attempts to win over Brexit-supporting ministers, Smith struck a pessimistic note on Tuesday about the parliamentary arithmetic, the Guardian understands.

He suggested the most likely outcome if the deal were rejected again would be that MPs opt to take a no-deal Brexit off the table and extend article 50. A softer Brexit would then emerge as the majority view in parliament, through a process of “indicative votes”.

Cannot see anything wrong in that process,hehe !!!!
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
us being in the EU is like a woman/man being in an abusive relationship, and when asked why she/he didn't leave says they stopped for the sake of the kids, and because they did not know how to survive. In the meantime getting battered instead of plucking up the courage to leave and maybe finding a much better life. Of course the abusive partner is always in the background making dire threats about how hard it will be after leaving
The problem with your argument is of course that the abuse has been from the UK against the EU. and they aren't the ones making threats, our idiots are making them up and attributing them to the EU as they always have in the past.
After Brexit, who are they going to blame?

• Agree

Advertisers