Brexit, for once some facts.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Airbus to stop making the A380. I’m trying to think how I can blame Brexit, but can only come up with wrong aircraft at the wrong time.

Over to you OG.
They saturated the market, there are only so many routes that need a plane like that.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
They saturated the market, there are only so many routes that need a plane like that.
I think it’s the operating cost too. Something like a B747 or A380 typically costs £12K to handle at a major airport. A wide bodied twin jet costs about £2K, so the overheads are much less per passenger. Plus with 4 x engines the service cost is doubled on those items. The easing of rules allowing twins to fly over large stretches of water is what’s killing the A380 and B747 markets.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is no shame in having the balls to give it a go. Not silly at all.
I was, I bit off more than I could chew, over ambitious. Remember the financial downturn of the early 90's? Killed us.

OK that experience did give me the credentials I needed to occupy management level jobs for others later. But there is something about being your own boss, liberty of thought and expression in the workplace is priceless...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That chart doesn’t go back far enough. The time span has been carefully selected to show a worst case period. Even it out over the period when interest rates where routinely over 10% and you will get a different story.
didn't go back far enough?

Here is one, starting just at the time we stopped renting and bought our first home.
The lower the rate, the higher the ratio house price versus income.
When interest goes back up again, we'll hit negative equity. Back in 1981, I did not even know what negative equity was.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That ok, don’t worry. All of your stuff will still make it to our shores just as it does now.

There is a tactic used by the incompetent which relies on creating a problem which does not exist, and then loudly announcing a solution to the nonexistent problem. Everyone then thinks you are great, forward thinking and on the ball. That’s all that is happening with the shipping thing. The problem our government faces is that they are too incompetent to even pull off this incompetency covering stunt. It’s a bit pathetic really. But the bottom line is, all your crap & treasure will still make it to Hull.
Amazing! at present it comes mainly from evertwhere else ;)
Seriously I agree it's all propaganda to sell Mays deal as there won't be a no deal brexit.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and 50Hertz

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I completely reject the “young people can’t afford houses” rubbish. A mortgage on a starter home today, in any particular area, equates to roughly the same percentage of take home pay as it did decades ago. The mortgage on my first house just about wiped out all of my take home pay and we relied on my wife’s dental nurse’s weekly wage for food and heating.

The problem today is not the cost of things, it’s that young people want everything right now, new cars, exotic holidays, the latest household gadgets, new furniture, the list continues. They achieve this by taking on debt which in turn costs them even more in interest payments.

They are not prepared to go without, to plan and to save, steadily building their resources. Absolutely no sympathy for them, they need to crack-on and stop squeaking about house prices. It was the same for us.
Naturally the assumption is that the couple have some sort of job security....

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Don't you have a train line? Sending everything by ship is so 19th century...
We have "First Hull Trains" ( actually 4 trains notable for infrequently making it all the way to Kings Cross without a breakdown on the way) :rolleyes:

The joys of Privatisation! Where else can you pay for a four hours train journey and get an additional five hours free relaxation on the train and a chance to gaze at the countryside?

Mind you that's better than Reese Mogg's estimate that Brexit will be beneficial in Fifty year's time.;)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I was, I bit off more than I could chew, over ambitious. Remember the financial downturn of the early 90's? Killed us.

OK that experience did give me the credentials I needed to occupy management level jobs for others later. But there is something about being your own boss, liberty of thought and expression in the workplace is priceless...
Sounds like you identified where you went wrong and salvaged the positive elements of the experience. Not all bad.

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
We have "First Hull Trains" ( actually 4 trains notable for infrequently making it all the way to Kings Cross without a breakdown on the way) :rolleyes:

The joys of Privatisation! Where else can you pay for a four hours train journey and get an additional five hours free relaxation on the train and a chance to gaze at the countryside?

Mind you that's better than Reese Mogg's estimate that Brexit will be beneficial in Fifty year's time.;)
HS2 has to go. And spend the money on the current network.

Reactions: oldgroaner

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
didn't go back far enough?

Here is one, starting just at the time we stopped renting and bought our first home.
The lower the rate, the higher the ratio house price versus income.
When interest goes back up again, we'll hit negative equity. Back in 1981, I did not even know what negative equity was.

50H is digging himself a massive hole here. Trouble is - he's got a narrative running in his head that says its down to the kids not working hard enough rather than house prices going through the roof over the last few decades (and digging up the facts about that is really not very hard).

But he does not like those facts - so he will do almost anything to keep his narrative alive and damm the facts.

A bit like Danny not wanting to read what the IMF have to say about a negative balance of payments.

Or OG insisting he's right about absolutely everything.

We all do it.

Best thing is to admit you f***d up and start over.

What will 50H do? My bet is he will double down for a while - then maybe go do his homework and then come back and not mention it again.

Any takers?

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012

Yup. I quit working for anybody else in my mid-30s and my god its nice not having project managers and busybody HR staff trying to tell you what to think.

Dealing daily with financial armageddon (for the first few years in particular) takes a certain strength of character - but once you're through that MY GOD IT FEELS GOOD.

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
My local Hospital that also serves Clacton (exUKIP) > Health bosses' plea to nurses: Don't leave after Brexit

HEALTH leaders in Colchester and Tendring have pleaded with European workers to stay in the United Kingdom for the sake of the NHS.

Nearly 300 non-British nurses have left Colchester Hospital since the Brexit referendum in June 2016.

Since the Brexit referendum in June 2016, a total of 480 non-British registered nurses have left.

Of these 270 worked at Colchester Hospital and most returned home to Italy, Spain and the Philippines with others departing to locations all over Europe and the rest of the world.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My local Hospital that also serves Clacton (exUKIP) >

Of these 270 worked at Colchester Hospital and most returned home to Italy, Spain and the Philippines with others departing to locations all over Europe and the rest of the world.
did anyone watch 'the real marigold on Tour in Russia' last night?
we need retirement homes like those in St Peterburg and about 100,000 care workers.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c3h57d/the-real-marigold-on-tour-series-3-1-russia

Reactions: robdon and flecc

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
From the independent
"
Brexit: Government admits it has ‘run out of time’ to find ships to bring emergency supplies after no-deal

‘It would not be possible to compete procurement and make it operational for 29 March,’ senior Department for Transport official tells MPs

Stop shouting.

Please use normal font. No need to shout.

Thank you.

• Agree
Reactions: 50Hertz and tommie

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes, you did in the 1980s.
No. In 1979 when we purchased the house brand new was 18,000 my salary was 3k and my wifes 2 K . The only huge difference was that interest rates were close to 10% .
Mind you ,and in partial agreement,with 50, there was wall paper a very primitive fitted kitchen,and no floor covering except concrete downstairs and blockboard mdf elsewhere.

Reactions: robdon

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
No. In 1979 when we purchased the house brand new was 18,000 my salary was 3k and my wifes 2 K . The only huge difference was that interest rates were close to 10% .
Mind you ,and in partial agreement,with 50, there was wall paper a very primitive fitted kitchen,and no floor covering except concrete downstairs and blockboard mdf elsewhere.
Perhaps it's more aropriate to compare ourselves with other countries, in la spezia (depending on area) 120k euro can buy a large free standing 3 bedroom house. We speak as if thatcherism, deliberate creation of a housing bubble through deregulation etc etc) "fixing" it with ultra low interest rates that slaughter pension funds etc are coincidences - and not deliberate expressions of a quite corrupt culture

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Fingers

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
My local Hospital that also serves Clacton (exUKIP) > Health bosses' plea to nurses: Don't leave after Brexit

HEALTH leaders in Colchester and Tendring have pleaded with European workers to stay in the United Kingdom for the sake of the NHS.

Nearly 300 non-British nurses have left Colchester Hospital since the Brexit referendum in June 2016.

Since the Brexit referendum in June 2016, a total of 480 non-British registered nurses have left.

We did discuss this some 18 months ago. EU and commonwealth medical staff were finding cold comfort in (even ) London at the time of the referendum ,and were resolving to go after their current contracts expired.
Some Brexit supporters may choose to believe that this is remainder propaganda, but my family experience would indicate different.

Advertisers