Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Is that a fact now...
Don`t think the UK has done you a big lot of harm - sitting there with £26k`s worth of New Nissan Leaf for starters??? A lot of the natives in here just couldn`t afford such luxuries.
And i`m sure you appreciated the £200 of Winter Heat Allowance and the Triple Lock on your State Pension won`t do you no harm at all - all courtesy of the DUP btw.
If you`re scared of life under a UK government please spare a thought for the unfortunates left to suffer life under the EU Mafia.

( fyi CAPITALS only are considered `shouting` not large text)
At my age and position the fear isn't for myself, it's for the great majority whose lives are nowhere near as blessed and whose future is threatened.

And its £300 winter fuel allowance for me.

Large text is shouting in my book when it 's entirely unnecessary and only offends.

Fingers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2016
I don’t think that would have worked. There are several on here who possess the playground mentality of going to the moderator in the same way that a child would go running to tell teacher when the big boys play rough.

I’ve had a yellow card from a moderator, and to be fair it probably warranted it. But on the whole, I think the moderator(s) do a good job and let things run. It does tickle me though when someone gets so wound up they find it necessary to make a “report”. :)

Ps this isn’t aimed at AK.

Cleary OG has some sort of control over the mods.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
At my age and position the fear isn't for myself, it's for the great majority whose lives are nowhere near as blessed and whose future is threatened.

And its £300 winter fuel allowance for me.

Large text is shouting in my book when it 's entirely unnecessary and only offends.
Same here, I'm just about old enough to have been a young adult when an ordinary salary bought an ordinary house, if I had to repeat that today it would be impossible. And work which in my case rely heavily on European liaison would simply not happen under brexit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Why are Remoaners so scared of life without the EU?
we live in a much more connected, sophisticated world compared to the early 70s, before the EU.
The EU represents high product standard, constancy, respect of human rights, shared responsibility when facing global issues like war, famine, environment.
Out of the EU, we'll be subject to party politics like we see today, slower progress, even paralysis or reversal in many areas.
However, we can't ignore the wishes of the 52/48.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Same here, I'm just about old enough to have been a young adult when an ordinary salary bought an ordinary house, if I had to repeat that today it would be impossible.
I completely reject the “young people can’t afford houses” rubbish. A mortgage on a starter home today, in any particular area, equates to roughly the same percentage of take home pay as it did decades ago. The mortgage on my first house just about wiped out all of my take home pay and we relied on my wife’s dental nurse’s weekly wage for food and heating.

The problem today is not the cost of things, it’s that young people want everything right now, new cars, exotic holidays, the latest household gadgets, new furniture, the list continues. They achieve this by taking on debt which in turn costs them even more in interest payments.

They are not prepared to go without, to plan and to save, steadily building their resources. Absolutely no sympathy for them, they need to crack-on and stop squeaking about house prices. It was the same for us.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I completely reject the “young people can’t afford houses” rubbish. A mortgage on a starter home today, in any particular area, equates to roughly the same percentage of take home pay as it did decades ago.
we borrowed £17,000 to buy our first house in Southend on a 10 years loan.
my parents in-laws borrowed £6,000 to buy their 4-bed house in Wanstead.
young people can't have that opportunity now.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
I’m reading in today’s news that the Islamic State supporting woman who
we borrowed £17,000 to buy our first house in Southend on a 10 years loan.
my parents in-laws borrowed £6,000 to buy their 4-bed house in Wanstead.
young people can't have that opportunity now.
Of course they can. The ratio of salary to house purchase price is exactly the same now as it was then. The opportunity is the same. The only change is young people’s unwillingness to save and that’s a problem they need to sort out.

• Disagree
Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the independent
"
Brexit: Government admits it has ‘run out of time’ to find ships to bring emergency supplies after no-deal

‘It would not be possible to compete procurement and make it operational for 29 March,’ senior Department for Transport official tells MPs

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Of course they can. The ratio of salary to house purchase price is exactly the same now as it was then. The opportunity is the same. The only change is young people’s unwillingness to save and that’s a problem they need to sort out.
don't bank on low interest rates lasting for ever.
check again the ratio of house price versus income.
3.5 years in the 90s, 5+ now.
we paid off our loan in 10 years, my parents in-laws paid off theirs in less than 10, what chance the average young married couple starting a family has in paying off their mortgage in 10 years?

Last edited:

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
From the independent
"
Brexit: Government admits it has ‘run out of time’ to find ships to bring emergency supplies after no-deal

‘It would not be possible to compete procurement and make it operational for 29 March,’ senior Department for Transport official tells MPs
That ok, don’t worry. All of your stuff will still make it to our shores just as it does now.

There is a tactic used by the incompetent which relies on creating a problem which does not exist, and then loudly announcing a solution to the nonexistent problem. Everyone then thinks you are great, forward thinking and on the ball. That’s all that is happening with the shipping thing. The problem our government faces is that they are too incompetent to even pull off this incompetency covering stunt. It’s a bit pathetic really. But the bottom line is, all your crap & treasure will still make it to Hull.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
don't bank on low interest rates lasting for ever.
check again the ratio of house price versus income.
3.5 years in the 90s, 5+ now.

That chart doesn’t go back far enough. The time span has been carefully selected to show a worst case period. Even it out over the period when interest rates where routinely over 10% and you will get a different story.

50Hertz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 2, 2019
Airbus to stop making the A380. I’m trying to think how I can blame Brexit, but can only come up with wrong aircraft at the wrong time.

Over to you OG.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We better watch out for that. It happened with me and OG once and we've never quite managed to get back to the same level of vindictive name calling we once enjoyed.
I haven't called you any names have I? But apparently you aren't reading my thoughts when I read some of your posts so we are safe for now...

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Same here, I'm just about old enough to have been a young adult when an ordinary salary bought an ordinary house, if I had to repeat that today it would be impossible. And work which in my case rely heavily on European liaison would simply not happen under brexit
When I was a young adult I put everything into a company I started. Silly idea...

• Agree

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Nick Cohen talking about the Labour party and Corbyn:

"Every MP I spoke to talked of the stress of dealing with a party dominated by tiny-minded people in the grip of paranoid fantasies. The stupidity of Corbyn and his supporters is their least-discussed feature, but it is the one that hurts the politicians who must live with it the most.

Corbyn’s first wife, Jane Chapman, told his biographer Tom Bower that she never knew him read a book in four years of marriage. Corbyn grew up in a family from the intellectual left, which sounds rather like mine. It is a milieu that places a huge premium on learning. Yet despite having all the advantages of educated parents, and private and grammar schools, he managed just two E’s at A-level and dropped out of the old North London Polytechnic, which was not an institution famed for its intellectual rigour, to put it mildly."

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
From the independent
"

Don't you have a train line? Sending everything by ship is so 19th century...

• Agree

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
I completely reject the “young people can’t afford houses” rubbish. A mortgage on a starter home today, in any particular area, equates to roughly the same percentage of take home pay as it did decades ago. The mortgage on my first house just about wiped out all of my take home pay and we relied on my wife’s dental nurse’s weekly wage for food and heating.

The problem today is not the cost of things, it’s that young people want everything right now, new cars, exotic holidays, the latest household gadgets, new furniture, the list continues. They achieve this by taking on debt which in turn costs them even more in interest payments.

They are not prepared to go without, to plan and to save, steadily building their resources. Absolutely no sympathy for them, they need to crack-on and stop squeaking about house prices. It was the same for us.
ET call home.

In the area of London I just moved out of you need something like 12x annual average pay to buy a 'starter' house.

Advertisers