Battery Fires

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
That original article let's remind ourselves referred to people employed as PCSOs who stood and watched two children in a pond a few feet deep drowning, while OAP fishermen waded in and fished out one of them. The other drowned. The health and safety obsession in the public sector is a nightmare.
I've just re-read that 17 year old newspaper report plus another report that fleshes out the story which is not as you represented it. The PCSOs didn't stand around watching a child drown. They arrived after the fishermen aged 63 & 68 (so only one OAP not two) had fished out the female. The pond was not "a few feet deep" but 6'5" deep which is why the fishermen couldn't wade in to pull out the boy. There was no sign of the boy when the PCSOs arrived.

My conclusion is that the 10 year old boy died because his parents allowed him & his sister aged 8, brothers aged 8 & 10 & other sister aged 5 to play unsupervised at this dangerous pool. Whatever the PCSOs did or didn't do had no effect on the outcome.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I've just re-read that 17 year old newspaper report plus another report that fleshes out the story which is not as you represented it. The PCSOs didn't stand around watching a child drown. They arrived after the fishermen aged 63 & 68 (so only one OAP not two) had fished out the female. The pond was not "a few feet deep" but 6'5" deep which is why the fishermen couldn't wade in to pull out the boy. There was no sign of the boy when the PCSOs arrived.

My conclusion is that the 10 year old boy died because his parents allowed him & his sister aged 8, brothers aged 8 & 10 & other sister aged 5 to play unsupervised at this dangerous pool. Whatever the PCSOs did or didn't do had no effect on the outcome.

This story reminds me the current debate in the USA about whether US government should lean on X to stop misinformation. Biden's government put pressure on FB to stop Covid misinformation. I reckon Musk would not dare coming here.

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
This story reminds me the current debate in the USA about whether US government should lean on X to stop misinformation. Biden's government put pressure on FB to stop Covid misinformation. I reckon Musk would not dare coming here.
Misinfomation is fake news created & spread by a mistake – by someone who doesn’t realise that it’s false.
Disinformation is fake news that is created and spread deliberately by someone who knows full well that it’s false.
In this case it's clearly DISinformation i.e. deliberate lies like alleging "PCSOs who stood and watched two children in a pond a few feet deep drowning, while OAP fishermen waded in and fished out one of them" when even a cursory reading of the original newspaper report shows that this is not what happened at all.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Misinfomation is fake news created & spread by a mistake – by someone who doesn’t realise that it’s false.
Disinformation is fake news that is created and spread deliberately by someone who knows full well that it’s false.
In this case it's clearly DISinformation i.e. deliberate lies like alleging "PCSOs who stood and watched two children in a pond a few feet deep drowning, while OAP fishermen waded in and fished out one of them" when even a cursory reading of the original newspaper report shows that this is not what happened at all.
You weren't there, and you have no idea of what actually happened. It's just a case of who's version of the "truth" you choose to believe after every guity person tried to bend it to cover themselves and others bend it in the direction to suit their own narratives. You might just as well start your own thread about whether we live in a simulation or a reality, or whether god is male or female. Why don't you stick to things that you actually know about?

nigelbb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2019
You weren't there, and you have no idea of what actually happened. It's just a case of who's version of the "truth" you choose to believe after every guity person tried to bend it to cover themselves and others bend it in the direction to suit their own narratives. You might just as well start your own thread about whether we live in a simulation or a reality, or whether god is male or female. Why don't you stick to things that you actually know about?
I'm not the one pushing lies to support my thesis that there is an obsession with health and safety in the public sector. I just read the news reports & saw hat I had been lied to by @Ghost1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I'm not the one pushing lies to support my thesis that there is an obsession with health and safety in the public sector. I just read the news reports & saw hat I had been lied to by @Ghost1951
You're doing exactly the same as what you accuse others of. Some people would call that hypocracy. If you were at the pond and witnessed the drowning and the events around it, you would be in a position to say who was telling lies and who wasn't, but you weren't there. You showed the news article that supported your opinion, when you have no idea whether it's factual or not. It could be you that's lying.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Disinormation is already punishable in law, misinformation can usually be moderated by the platform itself.
On COVID, the boundary between mis- and disinformation can be very blurred. I know a person suffering long COVID. She is a friend of my family for nearly 50 years, I am certain that what she describes is real. Long covid is very real. So when someone reported that the vaccine can cause harm, I have no reason to treat that as mis- or disinformation. It's just an example.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Disinormation is already punishable in law, misinformation can usually be moderated by the platform itself.
On COVID, the boundary between mis- and disinformation can be very blurred. I know a person suffering long COVID. She is a friend of my family for nearly 50 years, I am certain that what she describes is real. Long covid is very real.
The problem with moderation is that the moderators can be biased, unfair, misinformed themselves or even guilty of making disinformation. Look what happened with the Hunter Biden laptop story, where Zuckerberg admits that they suppressed it, even though it was true, and he's now appologised for that. Also, he admitted to and appologised for wrongly moderating Covid information. If you mentioned HQ or IVM, you got an instant ban, even though those things might have saved millions of lives. The logical and sensible way to deal with these things is to have open debate and free speech. That's how science always used to work.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I believe a cabal of vested interests is making uninformed decisions to poison us all with toxic ewaste. Make all ebikes easy for owners to repair FFS! :mad:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I note he ignored the Ariana Grande remarks.

No - the PCSOs, shouldn't have got involved.

If I had come across that scene, I'd have done what the police officer did when he came and got stuck in. Thanks goodness not all police are as risk averse as those PCSOs. However - he had been 'water trained' so he wasn't risking being in trouble from his bosses, and only faced the risk of the water.

If I could be bothered I could trawl the internet for other examples. I have seen a few beyond the Ariana Grande one where emergency service people were kept back while victims died.

Just take a look at this account from a firefighter who along with his colleagues was disgusted at being kept away from the Manchester Arena for two hours, while casualties who desperately needed help were held back because one of their commanders was risk averse.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Lied to? You must be insane or have had your head stuffed down the toilet for about a decade if you don't already know that the public sector is utterly obsessed with health and safety and has disappeared into a morasse of accronyms.

Read that government report and see how far you get before you are lost in a sea of gobbledegook acronyms. No wonder they didn't evacuate the Manchester Arena victims for about two hours. They must have all been lost in the paperwork of who was in charge and whether it was safe to go inside.

That said - a handful of people British Transport Police in particular and about one paramedic got stuck in while the vast panoply of the British Public Sector police, ambulance and fire and rescue waited two miles away discussing who was in charge.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
This is absolutely shocking. People talk about misinformation and disinformation. Look how it works here, and if you think you get your news from trusted sources, have a look and see what they said about the Hunter Biden laptop back in 2020, which has now been confirmed as absolutely true, and they knew it at the time because the FBI had the actual laptop, which was given to them by the repair shop owner after making copies of the hard disc. And, there was that letter signed by 50 top security service personnel that said it was Russian disinformation.

I'll save you some trouble. This is what The Guardian said:
How the BBC treated it:

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
This is absolutely shocking. People talk about misinformation and disinformation. Look how it works here, and if you think you get your news from trusted sources, have a look and see what they said about the Hunter Biden laptop back in 2020, which has now been confirmed as absolutely true, and they knew it at the time because the FBI had the actual laptop, which was given to them by the repair shop owner after making copies of the hard disc. And, there was that letter signed by 50 top security service personnel that said it was Russian disinformation.
4 years later, the story is pretty much unchanged. Someone gave Mr Issaac a laptop to have his external hard disc recovered. Hunter Biden said that his laptop was stolen. Mr Issaac said that he could not be sure it was HB because he is blind. In this case, the whole thing seems fishy. If all the cached emails were on an external HDD then why HB would hand over his laptop? Mainstream media cannot get involved unless they have very good collaborative support evidence. Even if the emails can be cryptographically proven as un-tampered, information illegally obtained cannot be used in court. They could be sued for billions like in the Dominion Voting Machines case.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Watch: E-bike bursts into flames

"A Wexford teenager had a lucky escape after his e-bike randomly burst into flames while he was out cycling."

Ebike manufacturer takes no responsibility for bike that burst into flames in Wexford

"He went on to explain that he has been in contact with the company that sold him the bike and they told him that they ‘don’t care’. Despite the bike being within warranty an only clocking 450-500 km."

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Woosh, I wouldn't get too excited. Your kits will probably be the first to get axed.
I am worried about the current loss of confidence. Sales of e-bikes has substantially dropped in the last 12 months to the point that I hate to bring in any new model because of financial risks. Unlike retailers, I have to commit to multi-years (as much as 10 years) support for any bike we sell. That means a lot of of capital and spare parts.
Kits are different. I only need the government to spell out what standards batteries need to follow to be safe, I then get them made and certified. No long term capital being tied up in stock.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Looks like 1kW+ motor.
It is about the diameter of a frying pan. A 1KW or larger nominal motor will be drawing more than that at times of course. What could go wrong?

I think I am much more likely to be harmed by a falling branch than by any of the batteries on ebikes that I have. None of them are over powered and the batteries are charged at 2 or 3 amps - and the 3 amp charger is on a 6P battery.