Battery Fires

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
The Grenfell fire was I seem to recall caused by a domestic refrigerator catching fire, apparently despite the electrical safety standards that apply to refrigerators and other domestic appliances.

• Agree
Reactions: Stanebike and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Grenfell fire was I seem to recall caused by a domestic refrigerator catching fire, apparently despite the electrical safety standards that apply to refrigerators and other domestic appliances.
Yes, a Hotpoint (model FF175BP), very accurately brand named, all considering.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Fortunately there are few refrigerator fires per year, so no worries to some.
Across various brands the refrigeration fires have been mainly confined to Fridge/Freezers and this model happened to be one of them. Quite why that should be the case I've no idea.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Ah thank you.

Fortunately there are few refrigerator fires per year, so no worries to some.
Google claims that there are 300 fires a year in the UK caused by faulty refrigerators. Surprising really, you wouldn't think a vacuum pump would pose much risk.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Google claims that there are 300 fires a year in the UK caused by faulty refrigerators. Surprising really, you wouldn't think a vacuum pump would pose much risk.
Some refrigerants are flammable. Maybe they leaked and the caught light from the gas cooker or smoking/vaping.

Reactions: Ghost1951

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not cool. Fridges should be banned from flats.

Some refrigerants are flammable. Maybe they leaked and the caught light from the gas cooker or smoking/vaping.
Gas and vapes should be banned from flats too. All flats should be completely transparent with transparent furniture, and all occupants should be dressed in cling film and clear sellotape only, so we can see they're safe. Their X-rays imaged on walls every few seconds. Constant monitoring by snipers, to save the many.

Makers and sellers of ebikes which are not easy and cheap for owners to repair, must immediately be jailed for crimes against the environment.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
60% is caused by safe battery packs? :oops: :eek:
I am assuming that some of the rest are being caused by incorrect chargers?

All the best, David
Are you saying you don't know? Are you making new laws based on assumptions, if so what are you assuming specifically? I prefer enacted laws be based on verifiable facts. I'm sure some measure of transparency regarding the process of whatever it is your group is up to, would be welcomed by pedelecers.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Disability charity says e-cycle bans are an "inappropriate, disproportionate and discriminatory" response to the low fire risk they represent

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
a lot of fridge freezers in use today still run on isobutane (R600a) which has a flash point of 45degrees C. If for some reason debris clog the pipes, the pump will work harder to the point that it puts enough pressure to blow the pipes up and as it runs hotter than the flash point, your fridge freezer will explode.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c62305qx946o

I heard years of Grenfell testimony. Here's why the disaster could have been prevented

By: Kate Lamble

She says at the beginning;

"To understand how a refurbishment could have created the possibility of such a disaster, we have to look at what underpinned all that work - the building regulations. When Grenfell was constructed, those regulations were set by an act of parliament.

In the 1980s, however, Margaret Thatcher wanted to reduce government intervention. Regulations stopped listing precise rules, simply describing instead what the end result should be."

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
300 ?

Sounds like the risk of a refrigerator fire is far greater than the risk of a battery fire.

But only 300 refrigerator fires is a small number, so no worries maybe.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

I heard years of Grenfell testimony. Here's why the disaster could have been prevented

"To understand how a refurbishment could have created the possibility of such a disaster, we have to look at what underpinned all that work - the building regulations. When Grenfell was constructed, those regulations were set by an act of parliament.

In the 1980s, however, Margaret Thatcher wanted to reduce government intervention. Regulations stopped listing precise rules, simply describing instead what the end result should be."
Maybe instead of pointing the finger at someone who left office in 1990, it might be more pertinent to look at who was in power after her leaving and more pertinently still, at the arms length body, the Building Research Establishment who are responsible for testing and certifying building materials as fit for use. Also perhaps, the people in the Civil Service such as Brian Martin who, as I understand it was in charge of those regulations and who knew that the Raynobond type cladding could cause fires to spread in tall buildings and had responded to messages from concerned experts by saying something to the effect of, "Where are the bodies".

Also - the manufacturers of the products knew and had discussed the hazard and kept it secret and had discussed in emails the impact such information would have on sales if it got out.

It is hard to believe that anyone who had even a passing acquaintance with the facts of this case as have been brought out by the enquiry would make the remark you did up there and present it as if that was the cause.

The failures were enormous and blame should fall on a lot of heads.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

I first heard Kate Lamble on More or Less and she is an excellent forensic journalist

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m00201xv is well worth a listen (the Peter Apps book Show Me the Bodies: How We Let Grenfell Happen https://amzn.eu/d/1F8OjdS is excellent too

The 2nd bit of the Grenfell report is due very soon, the Telegraph / Spectator / Spiked will be lining up copium opinion pieces why it's conclusions are wrong and why Public Inquiries are a waste of money

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
300 ?

Sounds like the risk of a refrigerator fire is far greater than the risk of a battery fire.

But only 300 refrigerator fires is a small number, so no worries maybe.
The fire risk of fridge freezer is about 10 per million.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can put battery in a shed. I can't do the same with fridge.
it's the fridge freezer type that is more at risk.