Battery Fires

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
That video is plainly anti Chinese government propaganda. The motivations of the presenter are suspect. It is certainly not broadcast from China.

I carry no torch for the CCP at all, but this is not unbiased information or news.
That might be some old video as propaganda mixed in there. Several years ago, the Chinese introduced new ebike regulations. I think they limited to 250w, like everywhere else, but people kept riding their illegal bikes until the police started seizing them them. There were several videos posted at the time that looked similar to what that guy showed.

Reactions: Ghost1951 and Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That might be some old video as propaganda mixed in there. Several years ago, the Chinese introduced new ebike regulations. I think they limited to 250w, like everywhere else, but people kept riding their illegal bikes until the police started seizing them them. There were several videos posted at the time that looked similar to what that guy showed.
Yeah I'm sure there is plenty 'not to like' about the Chinese government, but these dissident groups living abroad running channels about the country they left, are very likely not presenting a balanced view. Your point about old footage and your explanation does not surprise me.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yeah I'm sure there is plenty 'not to like' about the Chinese government, but these dissident groups living abroad running channels about the country they left, are very likely not presenting a balanced view. Your point about old footage and your explanation does not surprise me.
Some good points were raised though. If it is illegal to use, government should not allow sale. Same is in UK with electric scooters. You can buy them, but practically can't use anywhere.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
E-bikes: Seven in 'lucky escape' from battery fire
The London Fire Brigade said it was lucky a man was not seriously hurt in the ‘terrifying incident’

"“The occupants were asleep when the battery started to make a crackling noise in the bedroom as it was charging. It is pure chance that the battery owner heard the noise.” "

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
Warning issued as e-bike starts house fire

A house fire in Nuneaton was caused by an e-bike, according to the fire service.

"Emergency crews attended the blaze in Grove Farm at about 21:00 BST on Monday after an occupant heard loud bangs while in the shower.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service said the e-bike was not on charge at the time but had started to not function properly."

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The occupants were asleep when the battery started to make a crackling noise in the bedroom as it was charging. It is pure chance that the battery owner heard the noise.”

The fire spread rapidly and the resident managed to move the battery from the room to the communal stairwell, blocking a fire escape route.
Are there limits to stupidity?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Are there limits to stupidity?
No. The Labour Party are about to bring in ridiculous restrictive legislation that will probably end the world of ebike kits, mean that you have to buy a £600 battery from Bosch or just pedal with your own power, and will not prevent fires because the majority of them are caused by out and out abuse of batteries. That will continue.Labour always does this. When in power last time, they introduced thousands of new legal restrictions, including the fact that people are not allowed to climb ladders above ground floor level.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No. The Labour Party are about to bring in ridiculous restrictive legislation that will probably end the world of ebike kits, mean that you have to buy a £600 battery from Bosch or just pedal with your own power, and will not prevent fires because the majority of them are caused by out and out abuse of batteries. That will continue.Labour always does this. When in power last time, they introduced thousands of new legal restrictions, including the fact that people are not allowed to climb ladders above ground floor level.
I am for banning fast chargers, mix and match kits without sufficient knowledge.

Reactions: Cyclist

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Chinese government has increased restrictions on the movement of batteries. I have to pay $700 for each model to be tested and certificated like this one:
test-certificate-CESUN240628012.pdf (wooshbikes.co.uk)
It's a 12-page detailed report and certification.
The problem is this: these certificates are not required if you buy your batteries directly from China or EU countries.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I am for banning fast chargers, mix and match kits without sufficient knowledge.
You haven't thought this through.

How would a person even like saneagle who has a lot of knowledge actually PROVE that he was competent? It would involve going to some numpty ebike course and following the directions of some useless wretch who had far less knowledge and no dout paying a few hundred pounds to get his certificate.

What you are advocating is the end of DIY - ALL DIY. People hurt themselves with electric drills and saws. Ban them too.

Knee jerk stupidity and Nanny State garbage. The end of all freedom to act unless teh state has said you can. CCP China. The individual is the slave of the state.

NO!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You haven't thought this through.

How would a person even like saneagle who has a lot of knowledge actually PROVE that he was competent? It would involve going to some numpty ebike course and following the directions of some useless wretch who had far less knowledge and no dout paying a few hundred pounds to get his certificate.

What you are advocating is the end of DIY - ALL DIY. People hurt themselves with electric drills and saws. Ban them too.

Knee jerk stupidity and Nanny State garbage. The end of all freedom to act unless teh state has said you can. CCP China. The individual is the slave of the state.

NO!
A lot of restrictions like PAT testing, EE waste disposal etc are supported through education and not fines.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Life is to short to worry about what might or might not happen in the future, especially if it is beyond our control.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I still use a double ladder gets me well above my roof height.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Life is to short to worry about what might or might not happen in the future, especially if it is beyond our control.
Quite right.

Part of my motivation to explore electric bikes was to plan for the future, where one does not know because of advanced age or other matters, driving might not be permitted. Meddling with my ability to replace bits of my assisted bike, is not going to be well received by me. I will make my own batteries if I have to. As long as they don't outlaw sale of cells...... I'd put nothing past the meddling nanny state lot. They are found in all parties, but are more common in some.

It would be FAR FAR better to use education as the mechanism to reduce fires (not that they are that common considering the numbers of ebikes and other battery vehicles. However - in my experience, the lunatic end of the population are immune to advice of any kind and can be found all over the Internet advocating absolute stupidity. Proper analysis should be carried out to discover exactly what kind of batteries have gone into melt down and what use they were put to.
My bet is that crazy things will have been done to most of them.

Attention to BMS quality would be a good thing. We all rely on that inexpensive little board to keep things safe. For such a cheap item, we may be over trusting them.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I still use a double ladder gets me well above my roof height.
Shame on you! :)

To be fair, I have a double sixteen foot ladder I still use occasionally, but I am far more cautious now. I am quite fit, but I know I am a lot less agile than I was forty years ago. When I go up to any height these days, I stop and remember Roy Hudd falling off his roof while adjusting his TV aerial.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My one is currently tied off at the top to a big conifir tree, which I lopping the top off.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Rope ladder stuck under the bed would be a good safety feature, but windows that actually open haven't been invented in most of the UK yet.
We used to have them everywhere and then we started worrying about draughts and windows you could actually climb out of started disappearing.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
My one is currently tied off at the top to a big conifir tree, which I lopping the top off.
Have a care up there. Tree surgery is a very dangerous job and in my opinion, a young man's game.