Battery Fires

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That's what I was thinking. I can remember laptops that you couldn't charge after the battery had a set number of charges. I've never heard of an ebike battery catching fire because it's too old.
People who advocate such policy need to be taken in hand and removed to a re-education centre where common sense is drummed into them before release. Is that too extreme? No more so than the original Big Brother / State control of small things proposal was.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Not knowing much about this stuff - all of the BMSs I've seen on AliExpress seem to be variations of crapness: even as we squeak, I bet the poorer members of this shadowy consortium of industry vested interests are frantically Googling those variations of crapness for existing BMS and controller designs they can lock the fsck down, rather than invest in R&D to manufacture or order the manufacture of EM3EV style custom BMSs which sacrifice potentially problematic cell banks, which might even be resettable after cell replacement. Even after they've inevitably killed off the easy to repair DIY kit conversion scene as we know it, there will be battery fires which increase with ebike numbers, and there will be a reckoning when battery fire outrage reaches critical mass again. When that happens, I hope they're all jailed.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Not knowing much about this stuff, all of the BMSs I've seen on AliExpress seem to be variations of crapness: even as we squeak, I bet the poorer members of this shadowy consortium of industry vested interests are frantically Googling those variations of crapness for existing BMS and controller designs they can lock the fsck down, rather than invest in R&D to develop EM3EV style custom BMSs which sacrifice potentially problematic banks, which might even be resettable after cell replacement. Even after they've inevitably killed off the easy to repair DIY kit conversion scene as we know it, there will be battery fires which increase with ebike numbers, and there will be a reckoning when battery fire outrage reaches critical mass again. I hope they're all jailed.
How many people keep their petrol powered moped or motorcycle in the house. Large stores of energy are always potential hazards if mishandled or faulty.

I think these control freaks clucking (Chicken Licken reference) about ebike fires are the same sort who legislated that motorised carriages must be preceded on the roads by a man walking with a red flag, and that they must never pass him by.

Whatever happened to the idea I was brought up with that people had better look out for themselves and be responsible? Now we have numbers of people who think they need Big Brother to protect them against all possible hazards.

The result of this will be a useless generation of impotent wretches, who can do nothing. Just like that horrible case of the two PCSOs, who stood by while a child drowned in a shallow canal or pond because 'they had not been trained in water operations'. Two pensioners got in and saved one child. The other, unfortunately died because of the delay in helping him. I see this sort of thing as part of the same problem of dis-empowering the independence of people by over regulation and the obsession with so called 'health and safety'.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You mean built in obsolescence. You MUST get a new battery when Big Brother says so. Fk that!

This is pretty much a NONE ISSUE. In the whole of the UK there were 183 ebike /scooter battery fires last year out of 26,974 domestic fires and 145,313 fires overall. You are FAR more likely to be harmed by your tumble drier, washing machine, or cooker. Ten thousand fires were caused by cooking appliances.

Innumerate people misuse percentage stats when the numbers of cases are tiny and in doing so they exaggerate the problems, usually ending up demanding draconian controls. Another example is the upcoming ban on owning a machete - even in your garden shed. A few bad people misuse an inanimate object and the total dross of the political class ban the object, while pleading special gentle treatment for the people who misused it.
183 fires for about 100,000 ebikes is much too much when you consider how much collateral damage versus the cost of preventative measures.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
How many people keep their petrol powered moped or motorcycle in the house. Large stores of energy are always potential hazards if mishandled or faulty.

I think these control freaks clucking (Chicken Licken reference) about ebike fires are the same sort who legislated that motorised carriages must be preceded on the roads by a man walking with a red flag, and that they must never pass him by.

Whatever happened to the idea I was brought up with that people had better look out for themselves and be responsible? Now we have numbers of people who think they need Big Brother to protect them against all possible hazards.

The result of this will be a useless generation of impotent wretches, who can do nothing. Just like that horrible case of the two PCSOs, who stood by while a child drowned in a shallow canal or pond because 'they had not been trained in water operations'. Two pensioners got in and saved one child. The other, unfortunately died because of the delay in helping him. I see this sort of thing as part of the same problem of dis-empowering the independence of people by over regulation and the obsession with so called 'health and safety'.
You can see how regulation works with hate speech. When we were teenagers/ young adults, people might swear at someone or call them names. Nobody cared. We used to shout back, "Sticks and stones would break my bones but names will never hurt me". Basically hate speech didn't exist. Now they've increase the regulations more and more to the extent that nobody can even understand what the rules are. Hate speech is worse than ever on all sides and some people are turning to violence.

There are some simple things that can be done that don't cost anything, but would help the layman, like using different sized connectors for different voltages.

Reactions: Ghost1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
183 fires for about 100,000 ebikes is much too much when you consider how much collateral damage versus the cost of preventative measures.
183 fires had 183 causes. Without knowing the exact causes, none of us and nobody else should be proposing countermeasures. We can all invent possible causes, but where's the evidence that those possibilities were realised? When you know the exact cause of any one of those fires, you can introduce an exact countermeasure to prevent that cause happening again. After 183 countermeasures, there would be no more fires.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Google says we have about 550,000 ebikes in the UK, not 100,000, so your figure is only wrong by over 500%.....

So - running with that figure, we see that the rate of ebike fires was more or less one in three thousand. Factor in the ridiculous, abuse the fire brigades cite as the most common cause and what do we have?

I'll have a go at summarising the position in answer to that question:

Ebikes are very safe unless abused by fools and lunatics. Good practise dictates the following:

• ONLY use the correct voltage charger supplied with the battery and NEVER any other
  • ONLY EVER charge the battery in a supervised, safe place and never charge when you are sleeping
  • Disconnect the charger when the charge light indicates full charge
  • NEVER cobble together a dangerous contraption with a badly made power pack
  • Always make sure the battery is capable of supplying the load demanded by the controller
Most fires are caused by overcharging, overheating batteries by drawing beyond their capacity and doing ridiculous things like connecting higher voltage chargers than the battery is designed for.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
@Wisper Bikes couldn't produce stats! They looked at photos and listened to speculation!

This has been evidenced by the London Fire Brigade and by various parties including me, studying all available imagery.

...said I had to do my "own digging"! :mad:

You will need to do your own digging I am afraid.
I don't think there are any stats. I reckon it's all based on vapourous opines. Whatever pointless and deeply ungreen unrepairable uncustomistable crap they eventually offer for sale, this bunch of vested interests can't be held liable when all evidence is burned to smitherines. Golden rule is whoever has the gold makes the rules, to accumulate more gold.

Last edited:
Reactions: saneagle

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
You can see how regulation works with hate speech. When we were teenagers/ young adults, people might swear at someone or call them names. Nobody cared. We used to shout back, "Sticks and stones would break my bones but names will never hurt me". Basically hate speech didn't exist. Now they've increase the regulations more and more to the extent that nobody can even understand what the rules are. Hate speech is worse than ever on all sides and some people are turning to violence.

There are some simple things that can be done that don't cost anything, but would help the layman, like using different sized connectors for different voltages.
Add to this the fact that a so called 'Hate Crime' has no other definition than that the person complaining 'thinks' whatever the event was, was motivated by 'hate'.

Now - I am not aware of any other crime that does not have some sort reference to objective happenings or if an offence is for example a public order one, that a 'reasonable person' would be upset, or intimidated. But now, any vexatious blow in can turn up at a police station can assert that a hate crime has happened and have it recorded as such.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
183 fires had 183 causes. Without knowing the exact causes, none of us and nobody else should be proposing countermeasures. We can all invent possible causes, but where's the evidence that those possibilities were realised? When you know the exact cause of any one of those fires, you can introduce an exact countermeasure to prevent that cause happening again. After 183 countermeasures, there would be no more fires.
They cause collateral damage through explosion. Stop the explosion is first low hanging fruit. Stop overcharging is also low hanging fruit. Common sense, nothing to do with free speech.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
They cause collateral damage through explosion. Stop the explosion is first low hanging fruit. Stop overcharging is also low hanging fruit. Common sense, nothing to do with free speech.
Not speech in this case, but freedom of action is being targeted, by the likely demand that people be prevented from making their own conversions.

Freedom, or the lack of it, is not just about speech and opinions being prohibited. It is also about whether the state interferes with what you are allowed to do, in the way of ordinary things, like getting out your tools to convert your bike with cost effective parts into a pedelec.

I have seen a video on saneagle's youtube site where he had made a conversion about a decade or more ago, with an electrically powered crank. He had fabricated a bracket and attached an electric motor. It was not a kit. From a quick look, it had certain safety implications, to do with an exposed, powered chain, and unless I am mistaken, pedals that rotated under motor power and might have conceivably smacked him on the ankles. This contraption looked well made to me, even if it did have the odd foible that might catch out the unwary. He isn't unwary though, and needs to be free to experiment and to make things for himself.

This principle should apply to all of us and not be taken away because one ebike in over three thousand when abused horribly by a careless fool, might catch fire. This of course would not be an issue had not the people abusing them been doing so in their houses - usually at night.

Oh and by the way, many of the ebike fires I have seen, were delivery bikes, blowing up in the street - maybe something to do with running two kilowatt motors from home made 56 volt batteries dangling about, unprotected from wear and tear and being bashed, in fabric triangle bags. These are often being fast charged and worked to the limit. If these monstrosities were out of the equation I think we might have a very much smaller number of fires than we have.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
"Show me the Bodies" Brian Martin

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
The ashes you mean. They'll have heard dreary droning confused opinions from fire fighting dudes pointing at pictures of ashes and toxic dust, relating badly remembered or outright false accounts of what owners bought, and did with whatever they'd bought and used incorrectly. All while anticipating the arrival of their new planet killing money printing machine.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Funny how Arconic, the American manufacturer of the Grenfel Tower cladding seems to be immune to stern enquiry. We know that they KNEW it was a fire risk, because the emails between people in the company make it very clear that they knew it could catch fire and destroy a building, but nonetheless said the shortcomings should be kept confidential to avoid loss of sales. St-Gobain, the French company who made the flammable Grenfel insulation also knew of its ability to catch fire and that it released highly toxic smoke in fire situations.

So much easier to pursue government and fire department officials for errors of judgement than the sellers of the stuff that caused all the deaths WHO KNEW the stuff was wrong and dangerous..

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Funny how Arconic, the American manufacturer of the Grenfel Tower cladding seems to be immune to stern enquiry. We know that they KNEW it was a fire risk, because the emails between people in the company make it very clear that they knew it could catch fire and destroy a building, but nonetheless said the shortcomings should be kept confidential to avoid loss of sales. St-Gobain, the French company who made the flammable Grenfel insulation also knew of its ability to catch fire and that it released highly toxic smoke in fire situations.

So much easier to pursue government and fire department officials for errors of judgement than the sellers of the stuff that caused all the deaths WHO KNEW the stuff was wrong and dangerous..
That's capitalism for you and that's why you need regulations

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That's capitalism for you and that's why you need regulations

That is wicked deceit and malpractice for you, rather than capitalism.

It was capitalism that made the modern world and its discoveries brought millions and billions of us out of the abject poverty and disease of the pre-industrial world.

I do not deny that bad people make bad decisions and harm others and that some rules must apply to the way business works to prevent such behaviour. This does not mean that BMSs should have a count down timer in them to shut off your ebike battery after 500 cycles, or some other number which was suggested earlier,or that people should only be allowed to buy and possess a battery made by some huge profiteering corporate, like Bosch or Shimano, who already sell their products at vast expense, even when they face cheap competition. Neither does it mean that the ebike kit market needs to be curtailed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For example how is that possible to legally sell illegal scooters ???
There is no such thing as an illegal scooter. The general rule in UK law is that if anything has a possible legal use, it can be sold.

The onus of legal use is upon the user, not the seller, logical of course since only the user has control over the use, the seller has no such control once the item is sold.

The exceptions are where control is by licencing being necessary, guns, radioactive substances and certain chemicals for example.

E-scooters already require a driving licence at present, but pushing for that to be enforced could well result in pedelecers also requiring a group Q licence.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not speech in this case, but freedom of action is being targeted, by the likely demand that people be prevented from making their own conversions.
look at the issues this way: we know why batteries go wrong: bad cells, overcharging, undercharging, charging while one or more cells are faulty. We also know how to stop the problems and the solution costs next to nothing. Should we do something about this by imposing a minimum set of standard specifications? If you buy your battery ready made then the legislation does not apply to you, only to manufacturers and importers. If you build your own battery then the additional feature will protect you.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There is no such thing as an illegal scooter. The general rule in UK law is that if anything has a possible legal use, it can be sold.

The onus of legal use is upon the user, not the seller, logical of course since only the user has control over the use, the seller has no such control once the item is sold.

The exceptions are where control is by licencing being necessary, guns, radioactive substances and certain chemicals for example.
Isn't battery building and repair about to become illegal without a licence?

Unfortunately for those competent system builders out there, legislators have to consider the LCD which means the scope to design and build one’s own ebike system (not unlike chemists building and setting off their own fireworks in public spaces) will eventually become illegal.

Substituted to create future legislation below:

"Ebike batteries not to be manufactured without a licence"

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
https://www.bicycleassociation.org.uk/

Have a look on their site, there is a lot of useful information regarding the problem and possible remedies that you may find of interest. Membership is open to anyone in the industry, manufacturer or retailer. I am sure that as a Kit Manufacturer or Retailer you would be most welcome.
Nope, that'd take me years - too late to have even the vaguest hope of stopping you.

We are members of LEVA EU, Annick is the general secretary and a freind.

We have fought many battles together including trying to stop the anti dumping measures, pushing for the use of throttles and questioning whether or not the Machinery Directive is necessary.

She is anti the control of the industry by the big players, and very vocal constructing strong arguments.

If there are questions Pedelecs members would like me to put to her regarding battery safety regulation, I’d be very happy to assist.

All the best, David
If there are questions Pedelecs members would like me to put to her regarding battery safety regulation, I’d be very happy to assist.

All the best, David
Why not ask her to join this forum? She could hear from us DIYers directly.