Your views on Trek electric bikes.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
...surely re-gen is activated by the brake lever or was on the one I test rode. You only use the re-gen on the panel if you want do some training or something for which I agree is a ridiculous feature.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Yes the regen works when you pull the front brake, just touch it before the pads contact and you are on 200 % regen. It does slow you down fairly fast but you still do need the brakes so do make sure they are still working ! I find i use the regen about 80% of the time it just needs a bit of forward thinking.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Thanks everyone for your contributions to the thread, It has however thrown up so many questions and other options I'm no longer sure about the Trek.
I'm not sure about the too thin wheels and I don't like the regenerative braking thing.

I'm thinking that I'd like to know more about the E-motion Sport Max and the Kalkhoff pro connect.
...'gonna try to fix up a trip to Loughborough to find out more.

...again many thanks.....Mike

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Thanks everyone for your contributions to the thread, It has however thrown up so many questions and other options I'm no longer sure about the Trek.
I'm not sure about the too thin wheels and I don't like the regenerative braking thing.

I'm thinking that I'd like to know more about the E-motion Sport Max and the Kalkhoff pro connect.

Yes, come to Loughborough, we're likely to have a Kalkhoff Image B27 with the 48V BionX system on hand too, the first ones arrived today.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009

Hi Mike63

I really would not worry about the regen braking you would not know its there unless someone told you. It has absolutely no effect on the normal brakes. To be honest i thought the wheels were about standard for a commuter i run Marathon plus tyres 700x35 and i think by the looks of it they would take 700x38 easily but i do not see the need for them.

In fact i just had a look and i have made a mess of the tyres 700x32 on front and 700x35 on back, dooohhh what a dummy should have been 700x35 on the front as well.

Last edited:

OTH

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2010
Mike63,

Please don't be swayed too much by my comments. They were based on one test ride. And I'd obviously not been well briefed on how to get the best out of the bike.

greenkawa

Just Joined
May 25, 2011
Scotland
I bought a Trek FX+ 2010 model discounted recently. It's my first electric bike and I find it to be a decent road bike that feels like it has panniers on the back, and just like a heavy pannier its a bit bumpy (I use a suspension seat post). This isn't a problem for me as I used to commute with panniers however the front end can be a bit skippy at speed over rough roads. Yes you do pay a price for the 200% assist however if you use it to get up to 20mph and can keep it there you are able to stretch the battery - also the regen mode helps if you put on the downhills. I get about 35 miles on a very hilly commute using Level 4. I am 14 stone. Personally I like the bike being like a normal bike, narrow tyres and all, makes it faster. Also, whats all this about looks? It's an Electric Commuter Bike! If I wanted looks, I'd save up for a Cannondale.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
WHAT 35 miles with level 4 assist!! I really need to lose weight i am 18 stone and with level 4 assist in hilly terrain i would be lucky to get 7 miles. I also find it hard to get to 20mph as the motor cuts out a 15 and to get that extra 5 mph given the weight of the bike takes some effort on a up hill or straight. When I test rode the shops demonstrator this was the same so i am confident that the bike is ok. I find that level 3 assist is a better compromise.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that raised my eyebrows!!

But I think greenkawa possibly meant level 4 just on the hills, there's no way it could give 35 miles on level 4 all the time. Another BionX owner reported just 8 miles on continuous level 4 recently.

Elcycoltd

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 20, 2009
Lothian
Battery performance on any electric bike is dependent on the individual rider.

As a Dealer selling Trek along with Giant, Gitane and Batribike, we always advise customers that the distance you get from a charge is down to how you "manage the battery".
With three and four mode controls on the handlebars it is down to how you use the levels of power provided in each mode. Initially it is very easy to stick it into high mode and sail along with little effort but you will soon pay the price !
Trek quotes (in ideal conditions like everyone else) that your range in Level 4 is 48 miles whereas Level 4 will only get 12.8 miles. Restricting the use of the higher modes to uphill and the regen for the downhill sections and the other modes to the flatter sections will get you the best distance from your battery

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Elcycoltd,

is that you neil ? Yes i think that sounds about right, i am 18 stone carry a rucksack must look like the hulk on the bike :eek: So if you take averages i guess i am at the bottom end of the scale, so i reckon 12.8 would be realistic for a lighter rider.

Anyway, for anyone who has tried the Trek in level 4 you really are doing zero work i reckon you use more energy walking, so what do you expect.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Even if only on the hills it really would not be possible to get over 30 miles in level 4 assist unless you are very fit and can keep above 15mph where the motor cuts out. I think the poster should clear this up as lots of people read this forum and if they think they can waft along in level 4 with no effort for 30 miles plus they are in for a very expensive mistake.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
lots of people read this forum and if they think they can waft along in level 4 with no effort for 30 miles plus they are in for a very expensive mistake.
Good point Overlander! Most regular readers, I'm sure, will realise only too well that mileage of that order is fantasy using that level of assistance. If your post stops just one keen but innocent potential buyer from so doing, it will be a great service to that person.

Regards,
Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Be careful though, I got my head bitten off two weeks ago when I even dared to comment on someone's extraordinary range. Despite stressing I wasn't questioning it was achieved, I was accused of calling him a liar and he stormed out of the forum, never to be seen since!

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi flecc,

Yes but i think we need to keep this forum realistic and as such outrageous claims need questioned. To achieve 30 + miles in level 4 you would need to keep the bike above 15 mph where the assist drops off to zero. Now the poster has claimed its a hilly terrain, now if the poster is fit enough to keep above 15 mph in hilly terrain the yes 30 + is possible. But you would really need to be incredibly fit to keep a 19kg bike above 15 mph up hills, in fact so fit you really would not have an electric bike. I would be very careful to question a poster on a bike i did not own, i use this bike 5 days a week and know exactly what mileage you can do. On the Trek as pointed out you really have to keep level 4 for extreme hills and get off it asap or your range is reduced significantly. The best way to achieve 30 miles is by using level 2 and 3 and stay well away from 4.

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
Be careful though, I got my head bitten off two weeks ago when I even dared to comment on someone's extraordinary range. Despite stressing I wasn't questioning it was achieved, I was accused of calling him a liar and he stormed out of the forum, never to be seen since!
I thought those claims were outrageous too Flecc and I think the chap should have offered to demonstrate his claims if he really believed it possible. I'm sad he had a fit of pique and decided to disappear. I bet he still reads these pages though so get yourself back here if you're reading this Dveh....(spellcheck?)

Indalo

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought those claims were outrageous too Flecc and I think the chap should have offered to demonstrate his claims if he really believed it possible. I'm sad he had a fit of pique and decided to disappear. I bet he still reads these pages though so get yourself back here if you're reading this Dveh....(spellcheck?)

Indalo
Possibly he does. I also remember that when I said he must be fit to get such a range, he told me he wasn't very strong. Here's some photos of himself he put online not long ago: Flickr link

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Possibly he does. I also remember that when I said he must be fit to get such a range, he told me he wasn't very strong. Here's some photos of himself he put online not long ago: Flickr link
Good god......if thats not strong then theres no hope for any of us......or should I say...you men......me being a lady I dont think I would ever look like that :) :)
Least I hope not......how er, 'strong' is this e-bike cycling lark likely to make me ?? LOL

Lynda

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Where is the original post ?