Woosh starts shipping Tongsheng TSDZ8 with 250W label

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The tsdz8 has the power of a bbs02b, the natural ride of a ts system, a throttle when you feel a little tired. What's not to like?
Tongsheng is an innovative company.

Reactions: Bikes4two

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
whats not to like?
Cant find any way to order it on you online shop,and do you ship to Norway?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
whats not to like?
OK... honeymoon is over, so maybe it is time to address an elephant in the room and talk also about what is not so great about TSDZ8

- VLCD5 - is awful. Probably the ugliest LCD out there.
- TSDZ8 is very powerful, which is good on one hand, but on another it means extra pressure on brakes, chain, cassette and derailer. I have good components on my bike and they are holding up, but I just wonder how long till something fails.
- Overrun - I mentioned earlier that brake sensors are a must, but what I really need now is a gear shift sensor. Add high power to overrun and changing gears is a problem. I hear Bafang sensor could be used. I just need to figure out how. Problem is finding right 1t4 cable.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
OK... honeymoon is over, so maybe it is time to address an elephant in the room and talk also about what is not so great about TSDZ8
I just need to figure out how. Problem is finding right 1t4 cable.
The gear shift sensor is like a brake sensor. You can use a Y connector if you have used already both brake sensors. If you haven't, connect the gear shift sensor to one brake sensor socket and connect the other to the front brake sensor.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
The gear shift sensor is like a brake sensor. You can use a Y connector if you have used already both brake sensors. If you haven't, connect the gear shift sensor to one brake sensor socket and connect the other to the front brake sensor.
Gear and brake sensors have different connectors.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
ask Andy. He knows where to get those parts.

Reactions: Bikes4two and Az.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant

- VLCD5 - is awful. Probably the ugliest LCD out there.
- TSDZ8 is very powerful, which is good on one hand, but on another it means extra pressure on brakes, chain, cassette and derailer. I have good components on my bike and they are holding up, but I just wonder how long till something fails.
- Overrun - I mentioned earlier that brake sensors are a must, but what I really need now is a gear shift sensor. Add high power to overrun and changing gears is a problem. I hear Bafang sensor could be used. I just need to figure out how. Problem is finding right 1t4 cable.
Thanks for the points raised above @Az.
  • VLCD5 - ugly yes - was there a choice of other displays at time of purchase?
  • TSDZ8 very powerful - presumably the power output of the motor is determined to some extent by the assist level settings, no? Or are you saying that at the highest assist level, the '8' is more powerful that what you could get out of the TSDZ2? And of course, it goes without saying that the more power you put through the drive train (either from your own legs or the motor) then drive train wear will increase (Imagine Chris Hoy riding your bike for a few hundred miles- ouch!).
And of course more power out means less battery range.
  • Overrun - I think I commented on this previously, but there is overrun on my TSDZ2 too but it is just what I call 'motor momentum', lasts for maybe 1.0-1.5 secs and has no discerable power in it during this time - are you saying that the TSDZ8 overrun is something more substantial than this?

Cheers,

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
  • VLCD5 - ugly yes - was there a choice of other displays at time of purchase?
VLCD5 was the only option. Bafang has much wider choice of LCDs than Tongsheng. You can still buy some, but then there is a problem with connecting brake and gear sensors

• TSDZ8 very powerful - presumably the power output of the motor is determined to some extent by the assist level settings, no? Or are you saying that at the highest assist level, the '8' is more powerful that what you could get out of the TSDZ2? And of course, it goes without saying that the more power you put through the drive train (either from your own legs or the motor) then drive train wear will increase (Imagine Chris Hoy riding your bike for a few hundred miles- ouch!).
TSDZ8 is 3 or 4 times more powerful than my TSDZ2B

• Overrun - I think I commented on this previously, but there is overrun on my TSDZ2 too but it is just what I call 'motor momentum', lasts for maybe 1.0-1.5 secs and has no discerable power in it during this time - are you saying that the TSDZ8 overrun is something more substantial than this?
In general you should not change gears under load, right?... especially when motor is applying 110Nm torque. Difference between TSDZ8 and TSDZ2B is like night and day. It is like comparing a ballerina with sumo wrestler.
TSDZ8 is a drive train shredder.

I can literally hear and feel derailer when I change gears. It says: " Auch....it hurts"

Take into account that TSDZ8 is wink wink nudge nudge 250W motor. In reality it is more like 750W motor.

Percypig

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 3, 2024
Once converted my old MTB is back in action. I missed it so much. Now I can ride proper downhill again. I might end up in hospital bed next to Soundwave ;)

View attachment 57979

I really like TSDZ8. It is quiet and has plenty of power to offer.
Looks good, what speed and range are you running on the rear cassette? How do you find the chain line? Have you sorted a shift sensor out yet? Do any other displays work with this motor? Sorry for all the questions!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Looks good, what speed and range are you running on the rear cassette?
x10 Deore XT

How do you find the chain line?
It is acceptable. I try to use mainly middle gears. They are enough for almost all situations.

Have you sorted a shift sensor out yet?
No, not yet. I have adapted to new situation and take more time to change gears, so gear sensor is not an urgent upgrade.

Do any other displays work with this motor?
VLCD9 is my favorite, but I can't find it anywhere. Probably will have to buy VLCD10 as second best.

I have seen people using 860C and other displays too.

Sorry for all the questions!
You are welcome.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

jh787

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 23, 2023
we can agree that laws are not perfect, but there are inexpensive solutions available to those who are affected by some physical impediment.
The worst hit are car drivers. My wife had to pay £75 fine through no fault of her own. The car in front stopped suddenly, just for about 5 seconds. This happened at the Green Man roundabout in Leytonstone. She was trapped in the yellow box behind his car for 5 seconds.
Technically she was in the wrong because her exit wasn't clear before she entered the box.... But I get what you're saying. The situation that really gets my blood boiling is when you do it right and wait for your exit to have enough space for your vehicle and when the space is there and you have committed yourself the person in the next lane messes up and decides to change lane into the space that you had patiently been waiting for.

Reactions: Woosh