Woosh starts shipping Tongsheng TSDZ8 with 250W label

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Once converted my old MTB is back in action. I missed it so much. Now I can ride proper downhill again. I might end up in hospital bed next to Soundwave ;)

I really like TSDZ8. It is quiet and has plenty of power to offer.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Can the restriction be removed in the settings?
Void warranty though I know.
I have another bike I want to convert for off road. I was thinking if this motor can be unrestricted for that purpose, plus restrict for road use as a backup it would be perfect.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Can the restriction be removed in the settings?
Void warranty though I know.
I have another bike I want to convert for off road. I was thinking if this motor can be unrestricted for that purpose, plus restrict for road use as a backup it would be perfect.
What restriction do you have in mind?

As per power, this motor offers plenty out of the box. At fully charged battery it is 54V x 16A = 864W of input power. Much more than I need, so didn't even try to alter it.

As per speed I didn't install speed restriction in the first place (yet), so don't feel the need to derestrict it LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Thinking about it, I guess the speed is based on your bike gearing with centre drives.
So how is it restricted to 15mph?
Something I've not considered.
I guess the controller monitors the magnet on wheel spokes and cuts power at 15mph?

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I'm glad to see that the TSDZ8 is working well for you and I look forward to hearing how the motor performs over time and you've some serious miles 'on the clock'.

..... Much smoother power delivery comparing to TSDZ2B.
I regularly ride each of my two TSDZ2 bikes (both OSF) and find power delivery is smooth too and I can't imagine what 'smoother' power delivery would be like. Are you able to expand on your observation please?

Oh, and does the TSDZ8 take OSF?

Thanks, .

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I regularly ride each of my two TSDZ2 bikes (both OSF) and find power delivery is smooth too and I can't imagine what 'smoother' power delivery would be like. Are you able to expand on your observation please?

Oh, and does the TSDZ8 take OSF?

Thanks, .
I was referring to TSDZ2B without any software modification. This is probably why you have different experience. Seneagle described similar feeling in his thread:

"There is a slight surge from the torque sensor. You can feel a threshold of pedal pressure that steps up the power. It's not a linear relationship. That's not so noticeable on other torque sensor systems that I've tried. The disadvantage is that you can feel the power switching up and down when you think you're pedalling constantly at constant speed. The advantage is that you can easily step up the power, probably to maximum, by pedalling a bit harder. "

I don't know if you can modify TSDZ8 software. I simply don't feel that need, so didn't explore subject. I have seen somewhere people saying that TSDZ8 is performing like TSDZ2 with OSF.

Together with my son we went on a trip to have some proper off-road experience. Motor performed brilliantly. It is exactly what I need.

One minor thing - brake sensors are essential. For some reason Woosh ships motor with cable breaks sensors. Who is still using cable brakes?

Woosh - there is a room for improvement there. Please include proper sensors.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hydraulic brake sensors for tsdz are available but not from tongsheng. Just ask Andy. I buy stuff only from factories.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Hydraulic brake sensors for tsdz are available but not from tongsheng. Just ask Andy. I buy stuff only from factories.
I didn't see them in your shop. Perhaps I should have asked Andy.
My point is it would be nice to have them in the box without asking. Just a suggestion as I know you like to go extra mile for your customers.

BTW do you know what displays accept sensor brakes? VLCD5 is huge, I would prefer something much smaller.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My point is it would be nice to have them in the box without asking. Just a suggestion as I now you like to go extra mile for your customers.
I can see your point. I don't like us to be involved with more items to support especially when they are not made by Tongsheng or Bafang.
Will ask Andy what he wants to do.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Thanks for clarifying all of that.

Given how successful OSF has been in improving the ride for the TSDZ2 , it would be daft if Tong Sheng didn't incorporate some of the better features into the TSDZ8.

If that is the case and from your experience that seems to be highly likely, then that is brilliant as faffing around with getting OSF installed is not straight forward and has defeated many.

One minor thing - brake sensors are essential.
Why do you say that?

On my TSDZ2 the power delivery stops almost immediate (the chain ring does continue to rotate maybe half a dozen chain links after pedalling stops, but there is no power/thrust in what I'd term residual rotation. In fact it is a good 'feature' in that sometimes I wonder if power has cut out (I ride exclusively in ECO mode) and so to check, I look for the residual rotation to make sure all is well.)

Sometimes (rarely) the software has a clitch and the motor will run continuously without pedalling, but there is little power delivery to the chain ring when this happens and the bike can be stopped with light brake pressure whilst you power OFF/ON. This also happens on my wife's TSDZ2 and that one is running stock firmware.

Reactions: Woosh

Jerry Atric

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2023
I was referring to TSDZ2B without any software modification. This is probably why you have different experience. Seneagle described similar feeling in his thread:

"There is a slight surge from the torque sensor. You can feel a threshold of pedal pressure that steps up the power. It's not a linear relationship. That's not so noticeable on other torque sensor systems that I've tried. The disadvantage is that you can feel the power switching up and down when you think you're pedalling constantly at constant speed. The advantage is that you can easily step up the power, probably to maximum, by pedalling a bit harder. "

I don't know if you can modify TSDZ8 software. I simply don't feel that need, so didn't explore subject. I have seen somewhere people saying that TSDZ8 is performing like TSDZ2 with OSF.

Together with my son we went on a trip to have some proper off-road experience. Motor performed brilliantly. It is exactly what I need.

One minor thing - brake sensors are essential. For some reason Woosh ships motor with cable breaks sensors. Who is still using cable brakes?

Woosh - there is a room for improvement there. Please include proper sensors.
I use cable brakes and they stop fine! As this is a conversion kit, it is going to be fitted to mostly older bikes with cable brakes!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Why do you say that?
On my TSDZ8 power doesn't stop immediately. I might test it more, for example on full assist while on a steep hill when I can hear motor a bit.

Much depends on how you ride your bike. On road it doesn't matter that much.
For off-road brake sensors are essential IMO and TSDZ8 is designed mainly for off-road.
Brake sensors are a bit like safety belts or air bags. Better to have them and don't need them than need them and don't have them.

For Woosh including brake sensors would probably cost less than £5, so considering price of this motor it would be a nice gesture (IMO of course).
I already ordered brake sensors and intend to install them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For Woosh including brake sensors would probably cost less than £5
Tongsheng does not make hydraulic brake sensors, that's the problem. I will have to buy them in and throw away the sensored levers.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Reactions: Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
If I was to describe TSDZ8 with one word, it would be "effortless".

I have three other 250W motors and they are a bit like an old car with 1l underpowered engine. You drive up steep hill and reduce gears 4... 3... eventually 2. You get to the top of the hill, but you know engine was working hard.

TSDZ8 works without effort. Exactly how I like it. Yes, it hums a bit louder while going up hill, but it is not "help me or I am going to die in a minute" sound.

Amount of power this motor has to offer is insane. I don't know how Woosh made Tongsheng to rate down their motors to 250W, but it was a great idea. For few extra £ (comparing to other sellers) you are getting road legal 250W motor which is sold elsewhere as 750W.

Yes, comparing with TSDZ2B it is a beast. It is big and heavy, but there are no miracles. If you want more power, you need more copper, heavier magnets etc.

90% of time I use 2nd level of assistance. 1st is for heavy workout. 3rd is more like a ghost pedalling. 4th level of assistance I reserve for emergencies like getting away from local gang on Surrons or from police ;)

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I need to order this kit.
Any advice on how to go about it?
I guess just follow the advise on woosh site and maybe give them a call prior.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Update

90% of time I use 2nd level of assistance. 1st is for heavy workout. 3rd is more like a ghost pedalling.
Change of routine. Now 90% of time I use first level of assistance on flattish terrain. Second level is reserved for steep hills. Suspension seatpost changed to rigid one. Comfort saddle to athletic. All pieces falling into places. Bike it is as it should be.

Like TSDZ8 even more

Reactions: nwbkr and Woosh