Wisper 905SE Sport

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
all 50cc mopeds and scooters are limited to 30mph,(a legal requirement for a long time now) ,they are usually derestricted at the first service by dealers,to often give 40mph or more legally insurance could be voided,but nobody is ever prosecuted for riding an illegal derestricted motor bike or for having a derestricted bike
Not true! some can be de-restricted, some are virtually impossible to do (Suzuki Katana being one) respectable dealers are very loath to do this because of possible comebacks. Its not just a case of tweaking a screw, it often requires remapping, new rollers and new exhaust system.
Police round here tail kids (they can always hear them) and if they are exceeding 30mph by any degree they are pulled up. Clean licence, bye bye!

What's the problem with pedelec speed? you can go whatever speed you want, we even have a 50+ club, just don't expect assistance above 25kph. If a number of pedelecs are de-restricted and involved in accidents then the negative press will call for positive restrictions that are difficult to circumvent. Don't kid yourself this could never happen, run over some kiddie and see how thoroughly your bike gets checked over!

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
Not true! some can be de-restricted, some are virtually impossible to do (Suzuki Katana being one) respectable dealers are very loath to do this because of possible comebacks. Its not just a case of tweaking a screw, it often requires remapping, new rollers and new exhaust system.
Police round here tail kids (they can always hear them) and if they are exceeding 30mph by any degree they are pulled up. Clean licence, bye bye!

What's the problem with pedelec speed? you can go whatever speed you want, we even have a 50+ club, just don't expect assistance above 25kph. If a number of pedelecs are de-restricted and involved in accidents then the negative press will call for positive restrictions that are difficult to circumvent. Don't kid yourself this could never happen, run over some kiddie and see how thoroughly your bike gets checked over!
car drivers kill... but they can still buy a 240 mph supercar and drive it on normal roads..the law is mad :eek:

It may be difficult to tell from the pictures, but this used to be a Ferrari F430 Spider. That was until its driver, baby on board, managed to total the car on the A58 highway in Holland.

Miraculously, both the driver and his child were spared their lives, despite bring thrown outside the car during the accident. We hope that when he goes to replace the Ferrari, this guy gets something a little more manageable

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
The controller has two power control functions: in the first place it limits the currect passed to the motor at all assist speeds, in order to (obviously) not cripple the battery or burn out the wiring and the motor, and in the second place it causes power to tail off as the official 15.5 MPH is approached.

How the 'derestrict' function works is entirely dependant on how the controller is programmed. For one thing it doesn't derestrict the bike in any sense - it merely moves the point at which power to the motor tails off up by some 3 MPH. Also as some have noticed it allows more power lower down the scale too, but once again it's a function of how the controller has been programmed. My opinion would be that it becomes noticeable above about 12 MPH.

There's a downside to using the Wisper in its 'off road' guise of course, as the battery has to work harder and so the range is reduced. If you're on the heavy side or not reasonably fit this effect would be more pronounced.

Rog.

Thanks Rog, makes a bit more sense now.

And being very much 'on the heavy side' and not reasonably fit, the range is certainly reduced. This had puzzled me, because I only use the throttle to get from zero mph to 3 mph, and after that I only pedal. But I pedal with the 'derestrict' function permanently on.

Allen.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I still think as Push bikes are pretty much Anonymous from the restrictions of any other road going internal combustion engine you can kind of get away with alot more.

An your only talking about 3-5mph assist speeds, your not asking for another 30mph with your legs on the handle bars. The optibike \ Stealth bike and other high end electric bikes are another matter. But the price of them negates the younger generation from really dabbling with them.

To some degree you can't just buy something electic thats quite affordable and ready to go like you could a scooter etc... You also need some knowledge to get them to go quicker too...

Its not as simple as derestricting suffocations points in an engines design.

To be honest when I was 16 and brough myself a scooter to go to college on the first thing I did was de-restrict it. I hated sitting in the gutter on the bike and much prefered being able to keep up with traffic and sit in a more commanding road postion.

There are a few that like you say abuse it. I don't think I'd want to go more than 30mph on my bike. Frame / Suspension and brakes are just not solid enough to inspire confidence.

I say de-restrict it and enjoy your bike that little bit more.
Do it more before the state stop all your fun!