What is the maximum price you would spend on an electric bike?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Buy some weights and starting lifting. In a few weeks you'll have biceps like Popeye and getting that bike on and off the train will be a thing of the past ;-)

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I think it should be perfectly possible to buy a decent electric bike for under £1000. You can buy a new petrol scooter for less than that. £1000 is my max

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
This is a hard question.

I paid less than a £1000 for my bike and batter it over country lanes and farm tracks all the time and it never lets me down.

I don`t think I would pay more because I now know I can pay that price and get a bike that ticks all the boxes for me.

Steve

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
dum de dum de dum de dum...Yep you can buy a car or scooter for less then a decent bike.... So what

I think some of you need to visit a high end bicycle shop, and see what bikes can cost these days, and then you will see that 2k for a e bike is far from out of the ordinary

D

Deleted member 4366

dum de dum de dum de dum...Yep you can buy a car or scooter for less then a decent bike.... So what

I think some of you need to visit a high end bicycle shop, and see what bikes can cost these days, and then you will see that 2k for a e bike is far from out of the ordinary
we've seen them, but the question is: Are they worth it. For me they're not. Very few of them have decent forks; even fewer have decent rear suspension; most of them have appalling range (if you want to use the power); and most of them aren't particularly light.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Dumb..Dee...Dumb

I have been to high end bike shops and I can afford the high end bikes.

But my cheap mid range bike does what I want it to do .

Maybe you didn`t fully understand the question?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
What dont I understand exactly? I have said what I am prepared to pay as Dave asked, and attempted to justify it....

smudger1956

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2012
West London
I am new to Electric Bikes and went for the ‘cheap and cheerful’ end by way of the Cyclamatic Power Plus, I knew exactly what quality to expect having dealt with importing from the East. And it ticked all the boxes (moderate outlay to see what E-bikes are all about, and something to tinker with)
Being promptly converted to a full time E-Biker, one does start to think about long term essential use.
I would pay a premium for support from a LBS,after having a good gen up I would pay £1500 + for a bike that meets my expectations. That is if I could find a LBS that meets my expectations.I have to echo the previous comments of LBS, I have visited 3 in my local to purchase legal requirement and other ‘ancillary equipment’.
Only 1 treated me as a customer not an inconvience.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
It must be obvious why I asked this question-I am currently developing my Kudos 2013 models and was considering including a more expensive model in the range or continue with our 'about £1000 or less' price points. I think a high end model should offer a significant leap in technology,currently that means Bosch crank drive,shame about the enforced use of the expensive Bosch 8 Ah battery.
I don't see any point in upgrading our current models,our KING and TOURER are already such a high specification that any upgrades are merely cosmetic tinkering.
What comes out of these postings is that many bike shops don't seem happy to maintain e-bikes,only this week I experienced a sort of reverse snobbery where a bike shop seemed only interested if you were the lycra clad Shimano XT customer. Kudos has been careful to pick Kudos dealers who already had some experience of e-bikes.
Thanks for all your comments,they are valued.
Dave
KudosCycles

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
Hi Dave,

I think that your King bike represents excellent value for money and is all that I would be prepared to pay for a ready rolled bike. I have just finished 6 months of commuting on a similarly kitted bike and it has performed flawlessly and the parts are quality items.

Sometimes it’s not the bike it’s the adjustment.

Some months ago I was considering buying a Giant Anthem and an 8fun kit to have a second bike for ultimate comfort.

Two changes to the bike have rendered this unnecessary.

I brought a Bike Hut sprung saddle and it raised the seat height by a couple of inches. The seat was (apparently) high anyway but this change transformed the power delivery of the bike. It made a huge difference in the ease of climbing hills when riding manually. Because of the changes there was more weight on my wrists so I purchased a Satori handlebar raiser.

This transformed the comfort.

With the weight off the front, the relatively cheap Rockshox forks started working properly and the extra weight on the rear meant that the seat and the bracer suspension post seemed to benefit as well. My aging frame appreciates the higher riding position.

The improvements were such that I started riding back home manually - out of enjoyment ... simple changes that saved me £1500!

I now have Halpert Toulouse handlebars on order to tinker a bit more!

I would have brought one of your bikes if they had been available when I was investigating ebikes. Quality parts at a very good price.

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I think there are three issues here. One is paying £x for a bike. Two is getting value for money on your £x. Three is having support.

Everyone will pay different amounts, although I agree that £1K is an important price point. It very much depends on how much disposable income people have.

Getting value for money can be a bitter pill to swallow in the ebike world. You can get big brand bikes with way better parts than some 1.5 - 3K ebikes for around the 750 mark. I know that this mark up is necessary but I think some companies take it a bit too far and I think this drags everyone else down with them. For example the Storck Raddar Multitask costs almost 3K, has no suspension whatsoever, comes with an old version of the Deore groupset (the latest 2012 version of which retails at £250) and the frame is made of the same 7005 T6 grade aluminium as this £200 bike from Halfords.

Support I believe greatly depends on whether the bike has a hub motor or a crank motor. Most people, if they would just "give it a go" could do with almost no support for a hub motor ebike with a very common motor/battery combination because it effectively means you are not limited to buying your replacement electric parts from a single supplier. Crank motors are another thing entirely.

55tc

Just Joined
Feb 13, 2012
I have given up motocross and gone into mountain biking and looked at all sorts of mountain bikes from £1000 - £3000 without electric power but stumbled across a Hai bike demonstration in spain and Ive always boo hooed electric bikes as being rubbish after trying a few cheap ones but after riding the Hai bike I was hooked and the quality of the bike forgetting the electric side is that of a really good mountain bike that I would expect to pay £2k plus for anyway. I bought a Hai exduro FS mid last year from justebikes and it is an amazing bit of kit. Ive ridden it lots & hard (trial) and its been faultless and I am very glad Ive bought it. I have been looking for a cheaper ebike for the wife but ended up ordering the hardtail (rc) version of mine as I really do feel you get what you pay for and quality lasts! I would say if you ve got a budget then save up a bit more and get the best you can or you may not be pleased with it!

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I bought a Hai exduro FS mid last year from justebikes and it is an amazing bit of kit.
TC I have to admit that I would consider the Hai Exduro value for money even with that price tag. The brakes alone are worth the best part of £300, and the RRP of those forks is £800. Plus you are getting a crank drive system. There are other ebikes at that price point though that really don't justify their cost. I remember the Spanish Big Cat Ebikes at around £1700 that came with a Shimano Tourney rear mech - I kid you not!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
TC I have to admit that I would consider the Hai Exduro value for money even with that price tag. The brakes alone are worth the best part of £300, and the RRP of those forks is £800. Plus you are getting a crank drive system. There are other ebikes at that price point though that really don't justify their cost. I remember the Spanish Big Cat Ebikes at around £1700 that came with a Shimano Tourney rear mech - I kid you not!
there is a new 2012 Haibike 29'er Xduro, @2699 € approx £2249.

Google Translate

and a dual suspension eQ Xduro RC MTB FS @ 2799 € approx £2332

Google Translate

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
For example the Storck Raddar Multitask costs almost 3K, has no suspension whatsoever, comes with an old version of the Deore groupset (the latest 2012 version of which retails at £250) and the frame is made of the same 7005 T6 grade aluminium as this £200 bike from Halfords.
That's a well-made point Caph and when considered against the Haibike full-susser, the Bosch-powered machine begins to look like a bargain. I'm glad that 55tc speaks so highly of his, particularly mentioning the quality of the componentry, as so many recent postings have been about low-budget, adequate ebikes rather than the better, more expensive, (usually) machines affordable by the few rather than the many.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but, for me, the Haibike looks like an outstanding ebike; fit for purpose, whereas most budget bikes with hub motor and battery behind seatpost, not to mention the obviously Chinese-influenced styling, seem like anachronisms in this 2nd decade of the 21st century.

How anyone who can remember the great British racing and touring bikes of the mid 20th century can ride some of these ugly budget bikes without feeling embarrassed astonishes me. There's also the weight issue and most cheap bikes, (though not all) are heavy at 25-40 Kgs whereas at the upper end of the price range, quite a few ebikes tip the scales at around 20Kgs, some even lighter. The Cytronex/Cannondale combos are remarkably lightweight and look like real bargains compared to some. Their component list isn't too shabby either!

I sincerely hope we get to read more postings about the more expensive ebikes out there although I do appreciate that the number of owners among members here is far outweighed by those who cannot or will not pay good money for a good ebike.

Indalo