What bike test-drive policies do you have?

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi all

Just phoned up a bike dealer, and asked them if prospective buyers may take a demo model out on the local roads. The answer was no, but I could try one in the carpark - sounded like I was being offered a new one to try :eek:

I'd expect when buying a bike brand new that it wouldn't have been ridden before, except for factory QA - not by other prospective customers. Is this practice commonplace, or should shops have a spare bike of each kind which they later sell on as 'ex-demo'. Do LBSs normally let people out with a demo bike for half an hour or so?

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Hi all

Just phoned up a bike dealer, and asked them if prospective buyers may take a demo model out on the local roads. The answer was no, but I could try one in the carpark - sounded like I was being offered a new one to try :eek:

I'd expect when buying a bike brand new that it wouldn't have been ridden before, except for factory QA - not by other prospective customers. Is this practice commonplace, or should shops have a spare bike of each kind which they later sell on as 'ex-demo'. Do LBSs normally let people out with a demo bike for half an hour or so?
You are lucky to get a try at all. The problem is it is just not economically viable for a LBS to have one of each model they MAY sell in stock as a demo as the financial cost of doing so is far to high (especially for models they dont even end up selling) as the bike suppliers expect to be paid up front for these "demo" bikes and dont seem keen on provided demo bikes themselves (you have to wonder why?). It not difficult for a LBS offering several brands to soon get up to 50 + models / variations.

Even large chains like Halfords who could easily shared a demo bike around several branches dont do this.

Same problem in the car industry. Try and get to test drive the exact model you want and you will be very lucky.

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Good points GaRRy.

Yes, cost is a prohibitive factor. However I'd say that several bikes within a range would handle similarly, so I could (for example) try a 2012 Wisper of any MTB model, and not worry that it was a 906 Alpino or a 905e.

Juicy Bike admittedly are importers as well as sellers, and so offer proper test-rides. A couple of years ago I turned up to their shop, and the folder I wanted was out - so I was handed a Sport. After an hour of trying it up and down Buxton hills, I was persuaded. Not sure a carpark test would have achieved the same thing :p

Also, I think the new/demo division is important, although again this pushes up costs. You're right that the suppliers could help out here!

Last edited:

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We enable people to try any of our bikes on the road. This is the best way for customers to find a bike which suits their requirements.

Dave

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
dedicated e bikes shops best bet also shows but most tend to be a flat tracks...

martin@onbike

Official Trade Member
We always let our customers take our bikes out and try them for as long as they require on the day...you just have to test these bikes in a "real life"scenario to get a proper feel for their capabilities-a carpark WILL NOT suffice!
With regards to ex-demo etc. we will always supply a new bike for the sale unless the customer wants it immeadiately,when they will be told how much it's been used and if there is to be any money off...which isn't always that often if the bike in question is in immaculate condition to be honest....either way the choice is down to the customer after being given all the facts.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Hatti at Woosh seems to have a good solution . If you have a Woosh Ebike you can sign up to be a demonstrator and prospective buyers can , if you are willing , have a short test ride . If this leads to a sale Hatti sends you £15 .

barrycoll

Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2009
James at justebikes, let me take out Haibike for 15 mins or so, with a requirement that I have ID and leave a credit card imprint..........in the light of the present broo-ha-ha, pretty reasonable

Chamberlaines, a Nth London AVE/Ebco stockist, have taken a £50 deposit to order a XH3 to try on an extended basis, on leaving a credit card payment...fully refundable if not happy, and will order a new bike if I am happy...
......but that 50 quid was left with them in the middle of Sept., and not a peep from them, so not so happy

it all looks so easy, but it isn't

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
barrycoll, surely you've been in touch with that supplier to ask for your security deposit? :confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My experience of local bikes shops is the same as yours halfer, they simply can't afford to have demo models on the tiny sales they have at a shop, so it's trying their new stock one out for a few minutes using the local park or pavements.

I must look trustworthy for I've never been asked for any form of security before vanishing with one.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I'm sure you are very trustworthy flecc.
Here at Woosh we simply ask either for a mother in law, baby or dog as a deposit. Never had any problems.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Here at Woosh we simply ask either for a mother in law, baby or dog as a deposit. Never had any problems.
A bike for the mother in law. Bargain :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I wouldn't risk asking for a dog deposit. The dog might oblige. :(

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
You've never met my mother in law.

flash

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2009
CW12 Congleton
oh dear Hatti I don't have any of those :(

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
We rolled up at JuicyBikes shop in Buxton a couple of years ago - given advice on where to park the car then handed a bike to try out on the hilly streets of the town. We bought two bikes there and then. We've had excellent service from Bob and his team - we especially like the clued-up attitude of the staff, who all seem to be able to explain things in simple to understand terms that even a couple of elderly non-tech plebs can understand! I'm surprised that more retailers don't adopt the same approach ...
Best wishes with your search,
Tom

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I think that in business, as in life, you have to speculate to accumulate. I would never buy a bike from a dealer who came across as being as tight as a duck`s ass. If i were a dealer, I would allow 15 to 30 minutes test riding, having written down the customers reg number, taken a photograph of him or her, and taken a cash deposit as insurance against damage. Any bike worth its salt will sell itself, but not unless the customer gets a chance to ride it.

spiro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 17, 2012
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
Two recent experiences:
Electric Bike Shop (London Bridge, London) - turned up at shop to have a look at a couple of their bikes, rep said he was free if I wanted to test them. He road one and I the other around Borough/Elephant Castle and we swapped bikes half way so I could try them both.
Electric Transport Shop (Camden, London) - popped in to have a look at possible kits for coverting Trike. Having had a look at them he said he had the same kit on a bike and I was welcome to take it for a spin around Camden - all he had was my email address, no checks/deposit.
These are the type of shop I would do business with.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just remembered an experience I had a few years when shopping around for a new car in 2003. I showed some casual interest in a model at a Fiat main dealer and was invited to try it out. Trade plates were attached to this brand new car on display, the showroom window rolled back and off I drove around Croydon for a 15 minute run.

I was unaccompanied, had given no name, showed no licence and hadn't offered any security whatsoever. I hadn't even parked my own car there, it was around the corner street parked. Now that's trust!