Thinking of fitting a kit myself

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
My wife and i have an E bike each and they are fine. I`m thinking as a project to convert my 20 year old Evans MTB/road bike to an e bike with front wheel hub. The evans has been stored for many years and did very little mileage and is in perfect mechanical order. All the running gear are good class Shimano inc the brake lever etc. The bike is very light and has no suspension but handles beautifully. It`s an 18" frame.

I`ve been looking at the Alien 36V 250 w 10 Amp kit. I really want a decent hub motor and a kit where i can get every single part that might fail in the future. Fitting the kit shouldn`t be a problem as I am an engineer.

Any advice or any other kits that I should be checking out or any advantage or disadvantage in a front wheel hub? I was thinking about the front wheel slipping on wet surfaces?

There are a number of kits on E bay from HK and I`ve no doubt that some of them are fine but by the time you pay the carriage and any duty/taxes and the hassle of communicating at that distance should things go wrong has put me off somewhat.

I don`t really need another bike but I do want to do the project and really want to use what is otherwise a superb bike.

Thanks for any advice.

Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Dave, my experience as a first timer with a kit taught me I should have bought locally and to avoid (unless you want one of those life learning experiences) buying from China or HK etc. The Alien kits are very good with great backup, it's the same motor and battery combo as fitted to my Alien bike which works very well. Having said that now I have the experience and know a bit more about the components and what's involved I'm looking to China again to source a lighter, smaller motor and controller combo for my self built bike.

Another kit to look at is the eZee one from OnBike but they are considerably more expensive. Alternatively you could go complete DIY and source the components individually and build your own wheel but this again means dealing with companies outside the UK and all the associated problems with support, correct parts, import taxes etc.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I agree the Alien is probably your best bet.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thanks lads.

Any thoughts on having the power on the front wheel in wet conditions?

Forgot to ask. alien are offering the thumb throttle or the twist grip one. I would intend to be keeping my existing brake and gear levers as they are expensive and are integral with each other and the handlebars. I can go without the brake lever micro switches(or maybe add something to the brake levers myself) but not sure about a thumb throttle.

Dave

Last edited:

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
Thanks lads.

Any thoughts on having the power on the front wheel in wet conditions?

Dave
I have two front wheel bikes and the wheel certainly can spin on snow and ice, more so on the higher torque motor. This can be reduced with the right tyre and good throttle control. It can be catastrophic at speed but doesn't have to be if you are expecting it and have had a little practice with control.

BTW, ebikes.ca is just about the best place on the planet to buy a kit.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
MMmmm......£750 for a 400 watt Ezee 26 inch kit including battery.

They where doing free postage before Christmas according to the blurb on their site..... if you can twist there arm this looks a very good deal

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Don't forget you may get caught for import duty, VAT and handling fee if buying from overseas, the Alien kit is by far the best value.

As for FWD vs rear, yes the front can slip on ice but in the wet I've not found a problem so far...

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Another vote here for an Alien kit. Jim/Bob's service is spot on and any problems they are very good at exchanging stuff.

I started with ebikes with an Alien kit. You can read about it here. Bob even used text from it on his web site testimonials.

Also after about a week I was one of the rare few that had a motor failure. Alien shipped me out a replacement the next day!

PS One cruicial thing is to ensure that the nuts sit flush against the fork lugs. The nuts used for all kit motors are much larger than the ones on the existing bike wheels and often the existing forks have cut out recesses. A small washer is often needed to ensure the space is filled and the shaft nut then sits flush. Also with the Alien 250w kits although not essential, I would recomment a torgue arm. The Bafang motors can be very powerfull and can have a lot of torgue. As I said great kits!

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

fatts

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2009
west wales
motor kit

I have been out all this week on a front hub version and not had any problem also I think the weight distrubution is a lot better plus you got 2 wheel drive when needed very good on snow mud wet grass( cow poo ) in this area, ease of puncture repair and maintenance. I tried a 1000w kit fitted to rear wheel and batteries all on the back ( lead acid ) and even riding gently not at 30+ I found it felt unbalanced? but that may be the way it was on that one as I not tried any others and being a kit the batteries had been put high up
I hope this helps
fatts

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Another vote here for an Alien kit. Jim/Bob's service is spot on and any problems they are very good at exchanging stuff.

I started with ebikes with an Alien kit. You can read about it here. Bob even used text from it on his web site testimonials.

Also after about a week I was one of the rare few that had a motor failure. Alien shipped me out a replacement the next day!

PS One cruicial thing is to ensure that the nuts sit flush against the fork lugs. The nuts used for all kit motors are much larger than the ones on the existing bike wheels and often the existing forks have cut out recesses. A small washer is often needed to ensure the space is filled and the shaft nut then sits flush. Also with the Alien 250w kits although not essential, I would recomment a torgue arm. The Bafang motors can be very powerfull and can have a lot of torgue. As I said great kits!

Regards

Jerry
Jerry

Do you have a twist grip or thumb throttle? and how are you finding it?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I`ve just been doing a proper examination of the Evans, evrything seems ok for the conversion and a good friend who is Mr electronics tells me he can sort out the micro switches on my existing brakes.

The only problem I can see is that the bike is fitted with a triple front chainwheel set up, the small wheel might impede the assist rings because its very small and sits close to the frame. I can do without it( never used it) and manage easily with the two larger wheels (probably even one with assist)
Can`t tell till I order and get a kit but one way or another I should get over it.(anyone come across this?

Q. Why don`t you see many rear wheel conversion kits? are there things against them? I know I would have to transfer my gear cogs over and maybe the bike being 20 years old might lead to a problem.

Anyone done a rear wheel conversion? or are there any around?

thanks

Paulius55

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 1, 2010
Rushden, Northants, NN10
I have just fitted an Alien kit to my Giant Boulder bike and encountered some of the same problems you have mentioned. The small front cog interfered with the pedelec sensor, so I just removed it by popping out the rivets. I have never used the small cog and figured it even less likely with the power assistance. I also have my gear changes integral with the brake levers. At first I decided not to fit the new switched ones, but have come up with a compromise. I removed the brake lever and adjusting nuts from the current lever on the left, which is for the front cog, moved it along the bar to the right and then fitted the new lever with the switch in its place. This looks fine and allows me to change the front cog, if I ever need to, and gives the motor cut-off on the rear brake only.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Can't you just fit the Pedelec sensor to the other end of the crank? This is what I did on my DIY conversion:

Rear motors are more tricky to fit, you have to juggle the motor width with the size of the freewheel gearset to fit within the standard 135mm drop out.

Yes you can spread the dropouts but then you need to be sure you have the ability to align the chainwheel and rear freewheel which is not always possible... IE on the largest chainwheel wheel can you now select and drive the largest freewheel gear....also the rear wheel has to be dished by the correct amount to center the wheel in the frame which can be a bit of PITA!

On my bike I had a seven speed rear freewheel but the size of the motor meant I had to use a 5 speed as this was the only size to fit 135 mm.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Can't you just fit the Pedelec sensor to the other end of the crank? This is what I did on my DIY conversion:

Rear motors are more tricky to fit, you have to juggle the motor width with the size of the freewheel gearset to fit within the standard 135mm drop out.

Yes you can spread the dropouts but then you need to be sure you have the ability to align the chainwheel and rear freewheel which is not always possible... IE on the largest chainwheel wheel can you now select and drive the largest freewheel gear....also the rear wheel has to be dished by the correct amount to center the wheel in the frame which can be a bit of PITA!

On my bike I had a seven speed rear freewheel but the size of the motor meant I had to use a 5 speed as this was the only size to fit 135 mm.

Yeh! that`s a thought, fitting the disk on the other side, maybe needs to be reversed so that direction is correct?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Jerry

Do you have a twist grip or thumb throttle? and how are you finding it?
Sorry missed your question. I no longer have the conversion as I sold it after I managed to get a s/h Cytronex off ebay.

The throttle was a thumb throttle and I have not tried the twist grip ones. I much prefer the arrangement on the Cytronex. I am looking at options on my EBrompton at the moment, as per this thread.

Regards

Jerry

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Last minute nerves

I see all the problems with a front wheel hub. I have a rear wheel bike and just fancy a front wheel conversion where i can easily use my trusty old Evans frame.

I spoke to jim this afternoon (alien) and get the feeling that he would solve any problems that come up with the kit. They have sold a lot of kits and there own bikes run on the front hub so can it be that bad a choice for position? I must admit that the attraction is simplicity so maybe the front hub bikes are better in the dry?

I also think that your cycling location might have an influence maybe. I live very rural and rarely see any traffic on my exercise routes so most things can be done in a relaxed and controlled fashion. I`m about to push the button on an alien kit so any advice would be appreciated.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Yeh! that`s a thought, fitting the disk on the other side, maybe needs to be reversed so that direction is correct?

Yes, there are little arrows on the disk indicating direction of rotation.

Good choice on the Alien Kit, I love my Alien Gent SpecialII and I'm sure the kit will be as good. Service from Jim is excellent.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Yes, there are little arrows on the disk indicating direction of rotation.

Good choice on the Alien Kit, I love my Alien Gent SpecialII and I'm sure the kit will be as good. Service from Jim is excellent.
NRG

Actually it makes a lot of sense to fit the assist on the left, you can easily get at it for cleaning and adjustment. I suppose there is more chance of knocking it out of line though. Have you found any problems like that at all?

Also, is the alien kit a geared hub?

thanks

Dave

hgbiker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 13, 2009
Welwyn Garden City
Alien 36V Kit

I recently purchased an Alien 36V kit and fitted it to a new Haro Comfort bike. I retained my own brake levers and did not bother with the pedelec sensor.

The kit was not too difficult to fit but as others have said, it is important to ensure that the sides of the hub motor do not touch the forks. The Alien website gives advice on this matter. I had to fit an extra couple of washers to widen the forks slightly.

My handlebars are curved with Revoshift twist gears. I had a little difficulty fitting the thumb throttle on the bend of the handlebar. If you have straight handlebars you should have no problem. It is very important that the thumb lever on the throttle snaps back when you release it. As I had to install my throttle on the bend of the handlebar, the fitting must have become slightly distorted and one time when cycling, the thumb lever did not snap back cutting the power. This could obviously be somewhat dangerous so a point to bear in mind.

Overall I agree with the other comments that the Alien Kit is good value for money.