Thinking of fitting a kit myself

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I recently purchased an Alien 36V kit and fitted it to a new Haro Comfort bike. I retained my own brake levers and did not bother with the pedelec sensor.

The kit was not too difficult to fit but as others have said, it is important to ensure that the sides of the hub motor do not touch the forks. The Alien website gives advice on this matter. I had to fit an extra couple of washers to widen the forks slightly.

My handlebars are curved with Revoshift twist gears. I had a little difficulty fitting the thumb throttle on the bend of the handlebar. If you have straight handlebars you should have no problem. It is very important that the thumb lever on the throttle snaps back when you release it. As I had to install my throttle on the bend of the handlebar, the fitting must have become slightly distorted and one time when cycling, the thumb lever did not snap back cutting the power. This could obviously be somewhat dangerous so a point to bear in mind.

Overall I agree with the other comments that the Alien Kit is good value for money.
Mine are straights. I`ve gone for the twist throttle as it falls in line with my other bike.
I`ve got dead 100mm at the axle between forks, it does narrow slightly as they go up but looking at the diagrams I think it should be OK.

I might have to loose the smallest ring on my chainset or fit the assist sensor on the other side.

thanks

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
more info re Alien conversion

The conversion is complete, just got to tidy up the wires.

In general nothing that the average biker can`t tackle.

I had to file out my fork ends to allow the axle to drop in further and locate the extra locking tabbed washer for extra security. Probably would have been OK because the axle has two flats on it that were a snug fit and would have prevented the tail wagging the dog but just being extra sure.(note that the axle is of a larger diameter than normal)

Certainly the most difficult part was deciding whether or not to fit the pedelec controller on the chain wheel side and loose my small chainwheel or fit it on the opposite side. i opted for the opposite side. Be aware, removing a crank arm that has been in position for many years is not a job to carry out without the aid of the right tool.BBB Crank Extractor | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com Make sure you screw the tool well into the crank arm before you tighten the centre pulling bolt and make sure if there is a washer under the nut you remove it first.
So, arm removed, sensor and magnet plate in place, reasemble and test. All working fine except the sensor rubs on the madnet plate:mad: So, dismantled and ground small amount from inside the arm where it pressed against the magnet plate to get just clear. Glad I opted for the left hand side because i still have 18 gears and can return the bike to standard if required.
Note: all connectors are in place on the cables except the twist grip (4 wires) they have the soldered pin type connectors on the wires but because the wire colours differ from the loom to the controller make sure you have the correct wiring diagram to hand before pushing in the wires as these pins have a small fin on them that can be a bit tricky to remove from the plug after the event.

Road testing soon.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Pictures please:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The conversion is complete, just got to tidy up the wires.

In general nothing that the average biker can`t tackle.

I had to file out my fork ends to allow the axle to drop in further and locate the extra locking tabbed washer for extra security. Probably would have been OK because the axle has two flats on it that were a snug fit and would have prevented the tail wagging the dog but just being extra sure.(note that the axle is of a larger diameter than normal)

Certainly the most difficult part was deciding whether or not to fit the pedelec controller on the chain wheel side and loose my small chainwheel or fit it on the opposite side. i opted for the opposite side. Be aware, removing a crank arm that has been in position for many years is not a job to carry out without the aid of the right tool.BBB Crank Extractor | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com Make sure you screw the tool well into the crank arm before you tighten the centre pulling bolt and make sure if there is a washer under the nut you remove it first.
So, arm removed, sensor and magnet plate in place, reasemble and test. All working fine except the sensor rubs on the madnet plate:mad: So, dismantled and ground small amount from inside the arm where it pressed against the magnet plate to get just clear. Glad I opted for the left hand side because i still have 18 gears and can return the bike to standard if required.
Note: all connectors are in place on the cables except the twist grip (4 wires) they have the soldered pin type connectors on the wires but because the wire colours differ from the loom to the controller make sure you have the correct wiring diagram to hand before pushing in the wires as these pins have a small fin on them that can be a bit tricky to remove from the plug after the event.

Road testing soon.
Right then, all the wiring is finished and now it`s p*****g down:mad:

I will tell you something about getting the controller and all the wiring into the plastic box that comes in the kit (take a valium first:D If you have ever tried to get a plate full of spaghetti into an eggcup then you get the idea.

Anyway, as soon as it stops raining I`ll give it a go. It will seem strange having assistance on my old MTB. There are so many little quirks when fitting the kit that I wish I had kept notes and made up a blog to assist others.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As I said in my earlier post here I documented my conversion on this forum.

Regards

Jerry

Herb

Pedelecer
Nov 9, 2009
We need pictures! ;)
I second that.

These projects are meaningless without pictures :p

Regards

Jerry
These were the comments I received when I posted my Brompton build.

At the time I was quite surprised by the abruptness of their tone.

But now I realise members genuine need for pictures and I now look forward to reading any posts with gorgeous pics.

I also look forward to any posts with any pictures - good, bad or indifferent.

Thumb over the lens, Blurred focus, Red eye from the rear light. I don’t mind.

Herb

Last edited:

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
The rain eased a bit so couldn`t resist. Boy does this thing go:D No problems with wheel spin on the wet. Certainly there is a difference between a rear wheel drive and a front wheel drive.
the later wheel from alien is the twin wall type and quite thick to the point that I can only just get my foot pump to connect properly. Next punture I`ll be changing the tube to a new one I picked up with 40mm valve length.

After the first ride I miss the brake micro switch, probably get used to not having the brake switch but you do have to keep your wits about you.

I can`t change my brake levers easily. My front and rear changers are screwed to the handlebars and also to the brake levers but the brake lever seem to be fixed to a lug on the bars so to do a proper job would mean changing the bars maybe(or grinding the lugs off) and finding a way to fix the changers.

Other than that the conversion is good

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
These were the comments I received when I posted my Brompton build.

At the time I was quite surprised by the abruptness of their tone.

But now I realise members genuine need for pictures and I now look forward to reading any posts with gorgeous pics.

I also look forward to any posts with any pictures - good, bad or indifferent.

Thumb over the lens, Blurred focus, Red eye from the rear light. I don’t mind.

Herb
Herb

I will post some images on my web site but remember there can be a tendency for people to pull things apart and that`s why people might hesitate.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Old Timer,

I remember the first time I rode my Alien conversion. Actually it was the first time I had ridden an EBike so a double buzz I guess.

I did later fit one of the cutout brakes and have to say I felt better for it. I appreciate though that it may not be easy. I also fitted a torque bracket/arm which again gave me more peace of mind.

Re pictures, yes sometimes we forget that newcomers may take our demands the wrong way. We tend to get to know one another and discussion becomes very informal and I guess we overlook that informal comments could be easily misunderstood by newcomers.

We do all love pictures though and please don't be put off by thoughts that people may pull things apart. All my posts of the various projects I have done, have been met with constructive and helpfull comments and never digs at my steep learning curve re ebike stuff.

Over all I like this forum and the banter is often quite funny though possibly not as common as the more serious posts. Balance is good and I have really quite enjoyed the cheap ebike post :p

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
All my posts of the various projects I have done, have been met with constructive and helpfull comments and never digs at my steep learning curve re ebike stuff.
I'll second this. In the over three years of this forum there have been many members projects posted and I've never seen a single unfair and negative response in those threads. No-one need fear posting about their project, no matter how simple it is.

The threads that do give rise to disagreements are almost always those on cycle helmets, cheap e-bikes and the e-bike laws. The day someone posts a thread on all three at once is the day things will go nuclear! :D

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Thoughts on brake switches

Because of the expense and agro changing bars and all levers inc cables I wonder if it might be worth having a look at possibly fitting some sort of micro switch on the cables. I`m sure I`ve seen this sort of thing somewhere.

Anyone done it or have any info of parts etc?

thanks

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Sorted, my levers weren`t onto lugs but I had to destroy the plastic shrouds to confirm. So I`m going to do what others have done and and just fit the left hand brake lever with the micro switch operating on the rear brake. I moved the front crank changer along the bars, drilled the bars and fixed the changer onto a bracket (won`t be used much)

Went to the box with the levers in and found the left hand lever was broken where the plastic fitting brings the micro switch cable out:mad: I`ve just E mailed Alien for a replacement and can`t be sure whether it was broken in my shed or on route but offered to pay for a replacement. They are the Wuxing( I think that`s how it is spelt) that are on all of my bikes so they should be available.
So, I will land up with odd levers but it isn`t a show bike.

Northern Irelander

Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2009
I have a new set of levers (Wuxing), which were taken off a bike in September

I was going to put them in the classifieds section.

You should however get a replacement under warranty??

Happy to split the pair if you are stuck as I'm not using them.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I have a new set of levers (Wuxing), which were taken off a bike in September

I was going to put them in the classifieds section.

You should however get a replacement under warranty??

Happy to split the pair if you are stuck as I'm not using them.
I`ll pm you

Dave

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
Sorted, my levers weren`t onto lugs but I had to destroy the plastic shrouds to confirm. So I`m going to do what others have done and and just fit the left hand brake lever with the micro switch operating on the rear brake. I moved the front crank changer along the bars, drilled the bars and fixed the changer onto a bracket (won`t be used much)

Went to the box with the levers in and found the left hand lever was broken where the plastic fitting brings the micro switch cable out:mad: I`ve just E mailed Alien for a replacement and can`t be sure whether it was broken in my shed or on route but offered to pay for a replacement. They are the Wuxing( I think that`s how it is spelt) that are on all of my bikes so they should be available.
So, I will land up with odd levers but it isn`t a show bike.
Jim has put new levers in the post for me.:D