Swytch Max kit change display for SW102

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, my Analog Motion AMX has a broken pedal assist sensor, couldn't find any replacement part so I'm selling my AMX electrical parts and will keep the bike as a normal bike. You can find my parts on ebay "verkoper_w", just FYI.

Unless someone can give golden advice for the right pedal assist rotation sensor? Then I can keep my AMX electric...
It's a bit weird that the only part that you need help on is not shown in the photos. How can we help if we don't know what it is?

The LCD will only work with your controller or one from the same kit, so you really need to sell the two as a pair with the cables. There are about 6 common versions of that LCD that all look the same, so somebody that doesn't know could buy it for their bike, but it won't work.

Reactions: TimeFlies

TimeFlies

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 19, 2024
It's a bit weird that the only part that you need help on is not shown in the photos. How can we help if we don't know what it is?

The LCD will only work with your controller or one from the same kit, so you really need to sell the two as a pair with the cables. There are about 6 common versions of that LCD that all look the same, so somebody that doesn't know could buy it for their bike, but it won't work.
Hi, thanks for your swift answer, I don't have a photo of the broken rotation sensor, it's the bike repair guy who explained me that he tried several sensors and none of them worked for this bike. The only info I have is the type of e-bike: Analog Motion AMX Classic

Thanks a lot for the info about the display, I'll modify to a combined ad.
Kind regards

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You need to get the broken part from the repair guy and /or take a pic , it is the only way we cen see waht you have. Typically PAS only has three wires so any PAS should work , but we need more help from you if you want our help with suggestions.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Exactly D8veh. !!!!!!!

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
You need to get the broken part from the repair guy and /or take a pic , it is the only way we cen see waht you have. Typically PAS only has three wires so any PAS should work , but we need more help from you if you want our help with suggestions.
Thanks, I got these pictures from the bike repair shop, it's not exactly this rotation sensor but a look alike that he tried, the yellow connector is from my bike.

12eaa4c8-c2cc-4817-94d5-e53fd17b8c9a.jpg90c169e2-820e-4eee-8542-141abf711767.jpg

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hi, thanks for your swift answer, I don't have a photo of the broken rotation sensor, it's the bike repair guy who explained me that he tried several sensors and none of them worked for this bike. The only info I have is the type of e-bike: Analog Motion AMX Classic

Thanks a lot for the info about the display, I'll modify to a combined ad.
Kind regards
You're not helping us to help you.

Your LCD is from Wuxing (now renamed Star Union), so you probably have all standard Chinese parts.

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
It's probably a standard Chinese torque sensor, but we need to know which one. Can't you take it out and show us?
Well, the only info I have is that I bought the bike from the London brand Analog Motion (does not exist anymore), the display is indeed from Star Union and the (broken) pedal assist sensor is not a torque but a rotation sensor that is apparently hard to find, the repair guy ordered several possible sensors and none of them worked for this bike.
When I read other blogs, it's clear that every AMX owner is struggling to find spare parts, that's why I believe it's not so standard what Analog Motion used.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools (yet) to take the sensor out, if you're convinced that the sensor can be found I probably should buy the toolset.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It isn't a std PAS sensor , typically those type of BB sensors with the cable exiting centrally tend to be torque sensors . They sense rider pedal pressure unlike a normal rotational on/ off that a Hall sensor and magnet produce.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The fact it is a yellow three pin wp connector does indeed say it is a simple rotation sensor . The fact the bike guy can't get it to work with generic PAS is likely down to simple wiring , the wiring sequence most likely doesn't match your bikes yellow connector.
Is there an embossed name on the bikes yellow connector Julet or Higo ?

The easiest option is to cut both connectors off and join the two red 5v's together, the two black Gnd's together and then the other pair will both be the signal and colour isn't important.

Obviously the BB will be replaced completely to something std looking.

Last edited:

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
The fact it is a yellow three pin wp connector does indeed say it is a simple rotation sensor . The fact the bike guy can't get it to work with generic PAS is likely down to simple wiring , the wiring sequence most likely doesn't match you bikes yellow connector.
Is there an embossed name on the bikes yellow connector Julet or Higo ?

The easiest option is to cut both connectors off and join the two red 5v's together, the two black Gnd's together and then the other pair will both be the signal and colour isn't important.

Obviously the BB will be replaced completely to something std looking.
Thanks, I'll get in contact with the bike repair guy again. Have a nice weekend

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well, the only info I have is that I bought the bike from the London brand Analog Motion (does not exist anymore), the display is indeed from Star Union and the (broken) pedal assist sensor is not a torque but a rotation sensor that is apparently hard to find, the repair guy ordered several possible sensors and none of them worked for this bike.
When I read other blogs, it's clear that every AMX owner is struggling to find spare parts, that's why I believe it's not so standard what Analog Motion used.

Unfortunately I don't have the tools (yet) to take the sensor out, if you're convinced that the sensor can be found I probably should buy the toolset.
You showed a photo of what looks like a torque sensor. If it's a 3-pin cadence sensor, you can use any of the standard ones. They all work the same. They pulse a 5v square wave. You can even spoof the signal, so you can have a push button throttle.

That's given me an idea. I might make a push button throttle on the pedal sensor as a project, to show how it can be done, since I already have the bits - basically pedalling without pedalling.

Last edited:

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
It's good to talk to some experts, thanks for that.
I recently tried with a throttle: there's already a cable for a throttle on my bike, but nothing happened.
The PAS is not connected anymore, but I assume that's not relevant when the throttle is connected?

What happened when we thought the PAS was broken: the motor started sometimes during biking, but most of the times stayed off. Does this help to get an idea what is not functioning?

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's good to talk to some experts, thanks for that.
I recently tried with a throttle: there's already a cable for a throttle on my bike, but nothing happened.
The PAS is not connected anymore, but I assume that's not relevant when the throttle is connected?

What happened when we thought the PAS was broken: the motor started sometimes during biking, but most of the times stayed off. Does this help to get an idea what is not functioning?
The first thing I'd look at is the motor connector. Faults don't normally happen for nothing. Think back to just before the problem started. What happened.

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
What happened is that the bike had to stay outside in the rain for 2 weeks because of renovation works at our house, after that the malfunctioning started...

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What happened is that the bike had to stay outside in the rain for 2 weeks because of renovation works at our house, after that the malfunctioning started...
OK, so you have a very well known problem with your bike. You have water where you shouldn't oughta. the only question is where. I'd be looking at the motor controller first. If you haven't already got a multimeter, you should get one. With a screwdriver and meter, you should be able to track down any cause.

we need to see the pedal sensor and the controller. They're the most important things and the only things you haven't shown us.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Water damage to the 5v rail via the throttle causing intimittent shorting ?
PAS can also be affected.

Like you Mr.H , I still think that the BB unit is more torque sensor then a rotational cadence PAS.

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
Thanks for all the tips! I disconnected and re-connected all wires, then connected the throttle again and the motor is turning. So that's good news.
Next step will be to check the PAS again, I'll let you guys know when I have more info.
Have a nice weekend.

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
OK, so you have a very well known problem with your bike. You have water where you shouldn't oughta. the only question is where. I'd be looking at the motor controller first. If you haven't already got a multimeter, you should get one. With a screwdriver and meter, you should be able to track down any cause.

we need to see the pedal sensor and the controller. They're the most important things and the only things you haven't shown us.
Hi, meanwhile I removed the PAS. The wires were already ripped off during the replacement in the bike repair shop, apparently it's a hassle to take the PAS out/in without damaging the wires...
See pictures:

Attachments

TimeFlies

Jul 19, 2024
Hi, meanwhile I removed the PAS. The wires were already ripped off during the replacement in the bike repair shop, apparently it's a hassle to take the PAS out/in without damaging the wires...
See pictures:
Hi, does anyone have more info on this bottom bracket cadence sensor?