Suzhou Bafang source in UK

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Inevitably I decided I wanted a set of Suzhou Bafang bits that were slightly different to Alien Cycles normal kits. The main part being the climber motor from the Aurora as a rear wheel mount and with a 700c rim. Alien Cycles didn't want to mix and match kits.

So is there an alternative source for Suzhou Bafang parts and kits in UK-Europe?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
The person offering a genuine, quality, branded, mix and match service of electric bike kits in the UK will be a rich one me thinks.
I bet many users of this site have searched high and low for the parts for their bike project, only to get cold feet about buying them. Why?
A few reasons:

1) Most chinese sourced sites are very ambiguous with the details of what you will receive.
2) The worry of things getting lost in the post from abroad or packages ripped apart by customs.
3) The cost of sending duff parts back and initial postage costs to receive them.
4) The length of time this all takes.
5) No rock solid warranties.
6) Language barrier, some like to speak to a human being who understands exactly what the customer wants.
7) Lack of positive feedback from most chinese companies.

Now i'm not suggesting never buy anything from china, but we would all sleep better with that piece of mind :)

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
My thinking too

The problem is the capital cost of getting set up from scratch. There are a few ways out of this.

1) Alien Cycles find away of breaking their packages apart and selling individual components.

2) An established shop (like say The Electric Transport Shop) branching out a bit into supplying components.

I feel like the early adopters and forums like this are closing in on what works and what doesn't. But as you say, dealing direct is scary unless you can build a real business relationship with the factories. And that takes wholesaler levels of money.

I actually think this is a much bigger problem than just electric bicycles. Take a wander round Alibaba and there's clearly huge amounts of Chinese stuff that is now of acceptable quality and price. But there's a big gulf between the manufacturers and 1000-off quantities FOB Shanghai and the guy on the Clapham bus who wants to just buy one and have adequate backup.

Back on topic. The Suzhou Bafang stuff seems to be reasonably high quality. Is there really only one importer in Europe?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I know you are after a kit with the BPM from Europe, but i believe that it will all end in tears :(
Believe me, i'm after the BPM myself and have searched high and low, but nothing from Europe.
One Chinese site i did find is this one:

EBike Kits : BMSBATTERY!, The Art of Battery

But as i mentioned in my previous post, it's a little ambiguous about what you actually get in the kits.
Good luck with yer find :)

Bigbee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 12, 2008
Ive got a Bafang 250 w conversion kit in a 26 inch front wheel.Brand new with rack mounted Lifepo4 36V 10 ah battery and all the gubbings if you're interested.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
aye, there's the rub

I like the look of the Alien Cycles stuff, components and so on. And want to end up with something like the Aurora.

Except that I'm starting with a Ridgeback hybrid with 700c wheels. So my ideal is an Alien kit but with a 700c rear wheel with the SB Climber motor and a 36V or 48V 10AH battery mounted in their slid in rack.

Maybe I should just buy the Aurora, except that it's just a little big for me. (5'8" 31" inside leg). Or maybe I should buy it and then swap bits across and get the rear wheel relaced with a 700c rim.

You know what it's like. What you want is never quite what's being offered. ;)

Teejay

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2008
NW London
Seems a pity Suzhou Bafang don't currently offer a front wheel version of the Hillclimber motor. Going on the reports of the Alien Aurora, that would be an interesting option to consider :) without having to be a slave to derailleurs (or big aluminium frames)...

Or would it be too torquey for front fork mounting as Alien Ocean claim. Don't see it myself but what do people think?

Grizzly Bear

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2007
Swansea
www.grizzlyfish.com
Inevitably I decided I wanted a set of Suzhou Bafang bits that were slightly different to Alien Cycles normal kits. The main part being the climber motor from the Aurora as a rear wheel mount and with a 700c rim. Alien Cycles didn't want to mix and match kits.

So is there an alternative source for Suzhou Bafang parts and kits in UK-Europe?
I bought my Bafang BPM from BMSBATTERY, I had no problems, A very nice qualtily hub motor it is too, with proper oils seals on the bearings. They only do the sensorless version though.

Griz

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I bought my Bafang BPM from BMSBATTERY, I had no problems, A very nice qualtily hub motor it is too, with proper oils seals on the bearings. They only do the sensorless version though.

Griz
Were you the person that wrote the review on their website?

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I like the look of the Alien Cycles stuff, components and so on. And want to end up with something like the Aurora.

Except that I'm starting with a Ridgeback hybrid with 700c wheels. So my ideal is an Alien kit but with a 700c rear wheel with the SB Climber motor and a 36V or 48V 10AH battery mounted in their slid in rack.

Maybe I should just buy the Aurora, except that it's just a little big for me. (5'8" 31" inside leg). Or maybe I should buy it and then swap bits across and get the rear wheel relaced with a 700c rim.

You know what it's like. What you want is never quite what's being offered. ;)
I have an Aurora, I`m 5`10" with an inside leg of 31" and I ride it with the suspension seat tube adjusted right down, if I stuck a non suspension seat tube on then I could if I needed drop the seat 2" so one way or another it will fit you. But of course it really is a mans bike:D it really wouldn`t work that well as a front wheel drive because you would have to be careful putting on the power. It is seriously powerful.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
rear hub

I also like the look of the rear hub drives. The wiring ends up a bit neater and the hub is not so obvious.

Am I right in thinking that the Alien Aurora comes with a Shimano Megarange 7 speed cassette? A lot of the rear hubs talk about 135mm drop outs, and space for a 6 speed cassette, not 7. I'm not clear if this is just advice or if there is actually room for the 7. The Golden motors especially seem to be very marginal on width and clearances.

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
There are at least two German companies that sell bafang motors. if you search for elfei with ebike on google you will find the elfei site. I converted a carrera vengeance using one of their kits. if you look on their forums the conversion is in the projects section. first time i have ridden a bike in 30 years and i am loving it. I prefer the way the bike rides without power after the conversion. it freewheels great and feels more planted.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Jbond>
We list all Kudos spare parts on our website-I am always surprised what good value some of these chinese parts are-we are happy to sell to non Kudos customers.
Dave
KudosCycles
Does this mean I could buy a battery, 26" front wheel with hub motor, controller, throttle, etc. from you, in other words all the items to make up my own kit?
I'm having difficulty in finding a kit that is just right for me and my bike.
A ready made bike would be a simpler option and your Cobra or King models look good but my nearest stockist is over a hundred miles away (I live just south of Inverness) and they don't carry stock. As I couldn't try before I buy I've decided to go the conversion route.
Dave.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi We have Kits on our web Site All our kit Run on 48 volts and are true hill climbers the controllers are set at 25 KPH and 250 watts we have new controllers arriving shortly with a link de restrict to 45 KPK 800 watts with LCD Display

the Motors are with Cassette freewheel on the side so you can fit your own gear set

These are NOT bafang Motors

look on our web site for commuter baby

Frank

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi The Motors are our own design but Made in China We don't offer different windings Because we only use 48 volts the motor and controllers are matched to do 15 mph there is a wheel diameter setting to make the LCD display show the right speed also 5 power levels cruse control battery gauge it will have a 12 mosfet controller 25 amp with a link for 25 kph 250 watts or 45 kph 800 / 1200 watts so no need to worry about windings all done electronically the whole kit is put together with gold plated water proof snap connectors . the motor is geared and weigh is 3.5 kilos with 6 hole disk brake fitting

Battery options 10AH / 15 AH / 20 AH with a 50Amp BMS as the same battery can fit on our 2,500 watt kit

Frank

Last edited: