story of Today's Ride. Puncture in Punctureproof tyres. Heart Rate. Huawei smart watch cycling app.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I love riding my bike. I get a lot of satisfaction after pedalling hard up a long steep hill so that I'm out of breath for a minute or so. At the moment I'm a bit scared to pedal hard, especially when my watch is shouting at me to ease off. Actually, if I didn't know what was going on with my heatbeat, I wouldn't be worried at all. I feel a bit like those guys that get a chain wear tool, then start worrying about whether they should buy a new chain after seeing that it's a bit worn.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Cisco-man

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 27, 2023
It all depends on how you want to die. I’m more petrified by the thought of a slow, painful, decline into senility. A heart attack whilst doing something meaningful doesn’t sound so bad.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I love riding my bike. I get a lot of satisfaction after pedalling hard up a long steep hill so that I'm out of breath for a minute or so. At the moment I'm a bit scared to pedal hard, especially when my watch is shouting at me to ease off. Actually, if I didn't know what was going on with my heatbeat, I wouldn't be worried at all. I feel a bit like those guys that get a chain wear tool, then start worrying about whether they should buy a new chain after seeing that it's a bit worn.
When you are better from this episode, you can ride uphill as much as you want. Good that they saw you right away. When you get to see someone else, and if there is any suspicion of actual clots, I'm sure you'll mention the Alopurinol .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
When you are better from this episode, you can ride uphill as much as you want. Good that they saw you right away. When you get to see someone else, and if there is any suspicion of actual clots, I'm sure you'll mention the Alopurinol .
I asked the doctor about when I started the Alopurinol. It was 2021. I had the first clots in 2020, so it can't be the cause. I might not have clots now. It could be just this virus or anything else. Hopefully, we get the answer tomorrow. The doctor said the virus is almost certainly the latest Covid, as many people have it and half the surgery are off with it (9 people).

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I asked the doctor about when I started the Alopurinol. It was 2021. I had the first clots in 2020, so it can't be the cause. I might not have clots now. It could be just this virus or anything else. Hopefully, we get the answer tomorrow. The doctor said the virus is almost certainly the latest Covid, as many people have it and half the surgery are off with it (9 people).
On the Covid - yes - I thought that. It is all over the place. It sneaks in and sometimes leaves damage when it goes.

You've been dealt with quickly and efficiently by the sounds of things. Hopefully, you will be sorted out with no lasting effects.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well, ECG result today was OK, so was chest sound and blood pressure. They took blood for testing and I had a chest x-ray. Tonight I got a call about the blood test, which show high D-dimer, which is an indicator of clots, like I suspected, so I now have to run back to the hospital for an emergency dose of blood thinners. It's horrible to have to be right all the time. At least we're getting somewhere and they fixed me last time.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
.........It's horrible to have to be right all the time. ........
Lol - but you are taking an active role in understanding your own 'medical self' and being pro-active in getting problems addressed.

So many people done care about their health and just expect the NHS to resolve issues when they come along.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Guess what? I came to the hospital clinic to get some drugs or something. Now they've admitted me and I've got no stuff. If only they'd told me first. Sounds like I'm going to get some serious drugs that they need to keep an eye on. I've no idea how long I'm going to be here. I hope they're not planning to bump me off.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Guess what? I came to the hospital clinic to get some drugs or something. Now they've admitted me and I've got no stuff. If only they'd told me first. Sounds like I'm going to get some serious drugs that they need to keep an eye on. I've no idea how long I'm going to be here. I hope they're not planning to bump me off.
Hope everything goes ok

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Glad you are receiving the treatment you require and it does show that we are not infallible. Sometimes the doctors can be a good independent source of unbiased advice.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
saneagle said:
Guess what? I came to the hospital clinic to get some drugs or something. Now they've admitted me and I've got no stuff.
If you have been admitted with no warning and no gear, I hope you look good in one of those backless hospital nighties.....

I think you should send us some pictures...

It's the least you could do for all the advice you have been given. :)

We deserve a good laugh in recompense.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Glad you are receiving the treatment you require and it does show that we are not infallible. Sometimes the doctors can be a good independent source of unbiased advice.
Thanks for yours and everybody else's concerns, advice and wishes. So, we have some answers now - a bit of a curved ball is incoming.

I had the CT scan today, which showed no blood clots in my lungs, even though the blood test showed an indicator (D-dimer) that was more than ten times over the normal level, so somebody still needs to figure that out.

I was very lucky that the lung scan went just a bit lower because it showed that my gall bladder is like a bag of marbles, even though I have no significant symptoms of gall stones.

At least I can ride my bike again without worrying. I'll take it easy for a bit, and hopefully my heartbeat will come down as I get fitter.

The service I had from the NHS has been very good. They're quite disorganised, but fairly thorough (so far) and cautious. They didn't even put DNR notices on my trolly, nor try and inject me with Midazilam and Morphine. It was very sad to see all the other patients there, most of whom were substantially worse than me, and though they put on a brave face, I could see that they were worried about what comes next.

Now we can all relax and get back to normality. I don't think the treatment for gall stones is too bad these days, but, looking at the size and quantity of mine, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to whip out my gall bladder, like they did to my sister, or do some other surgical procedure. It's just a pain that these things always happen in the summer.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
saneagle said:
It's just a pain that these things always happen in the summer.
What summer?

You must live in a different country to the one I live in. I was wet through for hours yesterday after trying to go for a ride and then abandoning it in favour of going home and putting the heating on.

Current air mass temperature difference

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
What summer?

You must live in a different country to the one I live in. I was wet through for hours yesterday after trying to go for a ride and then abandoning it in favour of going home and putting the heating on.

Current air mass temperature difference
View attachment 58667
According to the BBC, it's the hottest summer on record. Haven't you seen that the map has turned red. Scorchio! Your map must be wrong because the colours don't match the BBC one, and the BBC is a trusted source.

Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Thanks for yours and everybody else's concerns, advice and wishes. So, we have some answers now - a bit of a curved ball is incoming.

I had the CT scan today, which showed no blood clots in my lungs, even though the blood test showed an indicator (D-dimer) that was more than ten times over the normal level, so somebody still needs to figure that out.

I was very lucky that the lung scan went just a bit lower because it showed that my gall bladder is like a bag of marbles, even though I have no significant symptoms of gall stones.

At least I can ride my bike again without worrying. I'll take it easy for a bit, and hopefully my heartbeat will come down as I get fitter.

The service I had from the NHS has been very good. They're quite disorganised, but fairly thorough (so far) and cautious. They didn't even put DNR notices on my trolly, nor try and inject me with Midazilam and Morphine. It was very sad to see all the other patients there, most of whom were substantially worse than me, and though they put on a brave face, I could see that they were worried about what comes next.

Now we can all relax and get back to normality. I don't think the treatment for gall stones is too bad these days, but, looking at the size and quantity of mine, it wouldn't surprise me if they decide to whip out my gall bladder, like they did to my sister, or do some other surgical procedure. It's just a pain that these things always happen in the summer.
So was the D.Dimmer abnormal result caused by the gall bladder problem?

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
saneagle said:
According to the BBC, it's the hottest summer on record. Haven't you seen that the map has turned red. Scorchio!
Here's the thing about summer. It happens because the planet is tilted about 23 degrees from the plane of its orbit around the sun, which makes the northern hemisphere point right at the sun in June and a month or two either side of June 21st. It always has done and t always will do, except over a very long time scale it won't.

Way into the future, anomalies in the planet's orbit around the sun will make our winters come in July.... Not that any of us need worry. I'm talking thousands of years here.

EDIT:

To be honest, most of this 'summer' it has felt like the matter I mentioned above has already happened.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: POLLY

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So was the D.Dimmer abnormal result caused by the gall bladder problem?
D-dimer is a protein that's left behind when your body breaks down blood clots. There's no other procees that makes it, so the answer should be no.

Maybe I have micro-clots, which are a known long-term complication of Covid.

• Informative
Reactions: Ghost1951

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Here's the thing about summer. It happens because the planet is tilted about 23 degrees from the plane of its orbit around the sun, which makes the northern hemisphere point right at the sun in June and a month or two either side of June 21st. It always has done and t always will do, except over a very long time scale it won't.

Way into the future, anomalies in the planet's orbit around the sun will make our winters come in July.... Not that any of us need worry. I'm talking millions of years here.

EDIT:

To be honest, most of this 'summer' it has felt like the matter I mentioned above has already happened.
That's wrong. Summer happens because of global warming. We're driving our cars and motorbikes too much between the months of April and September, which warms up the planet due to CO2 emissions causing a greenhouse effect.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
D-dimer is a protein that's left behind when your body breaks down blood clots. There's no other procees that makes it, so the answer should be no.

Maybe I have micro-clots, which are a known long-term complication of Covid.
If you just had covid, which seems likely, given the flu like symptoms and the fact that the new variant of covid is pretty rampant at the moment all over the northern hemisphere, the suggestion you made there seems quite a likely one. Blood clots have always been a nasty side effect of covid since it erupted in the late part of 2019, just by chance in a city in China which had two virology labs which were experimenting with bat viruses and trying to see how much meddling it would take to get them to infect human cells.

Looks like they found the answer to that question and now we all have to pay the price.

I'd say that so called, 'gain of function viral research' is probably the greatest threat to humanity there is and that it should be banned world wide.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
According to the BBC, it's the hottest summer on record. Haven't you seen that the map has turned red. Scorchio! Your map must be wrong because the colours don't match the BBC one, and the BBC is a trusted source.
My map shows the current state of the polar air mass and the one beside it. I can point you to an outstanding video explaining this stuff.

Year round the atmosphere just about where we are is the scene of a constant battle between cold air from the pole and warmer air from the tropics. Along the boundary between them (cold and warm air never mix, they just shove up against one another, cold burrowing under and warm going over the top) the jet stream forms and whizzes around the planet. When the warm air mass shoves northwards we get the so called 'Heat Bombs' the trashy press talk about, and when the cold air moves south over us, we get the kind of weather we have seen in recent weeks. If it happens in winter we get a big freeze up.

The constant tug of war over our latitude gives us the really crppy weather we normally have.

Last edited:

Related Articles

Advertisers