story of Today's Ride. Puncture in Punctureproof tyres. Heart Rate. Huawei smart watch cycling app.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
As you might know, I've been ill for about a month with a virus. Yesterday, I went out for a short ride to see if I was able. It was OK, so I thought 'd try a longer one today in an attempt to try and rebuild my fitness. It didn't go well. I think the bad karma from taking the mick out of too many forum members caught up with me.

The ride has some fairly steep hills, but my 48v TSDZ02 in bottom gear can get up them without any trouble. I've had my Huawei smartwatch for a fair while and used it and the previous one to record some of my rides. It gives a map, speed heart rate, altitude and stuff like that. I just start it, then stop it after the ride and look at the results afterwards. It's never made a noise before.

When I got to the first steep hill, I was doing fine about half-way up, when suddenly my watch started shouting at me - something like "heart rate too high, ease off". It's never done that before, but maybe it came in a software update because later it shouted at me several times about zones, which I didn't understand and hasn't done before either. Anyway, my heartrate was over 160, so I increased the assist level and slowed down a bit. I got this heartrate warning several times during the ride, which worried me a bit because I'm still not feeling great and you shouldn't stress yourself in that situation. I felt absolutely fine, and with the bike on max power, I was hardly putting in any effort, like riding on the flat at 10mph with an unassisted bike. I therefore continued very cautiously watching my heartrate hover around 140-150 for nothing.

I got about half-way round the 22 mile ride, when I felt the back end wobbling because the tyre was going flat. The handling did feel a bit off for the last 5 miles, so I figured that I had a slow puncture. The tyres are Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB, which are supposed to be the most puncture proof MTB tyres. I had no choice but to get off and push, which was even worse for my heart and my watch was soon shouting at me again. I soon came acrross a guy doing his front garden. luckily, he had a pump, but he insisted on doing it himself and wouldn't pump the tyres above 30 psi because that's what was written on them. I told him to go to 100psi to give me a chance of getting home, but he refused. I continued on my way and got up about 3/4 of the massive climb up Ironbridge Gorge before I was pushing again. My watch started shouting again, but after about a mile I found a small business open, so I asked in there and a guy had a pump. He didn't have any problem pumping them up to whatever I wanted, so that got me the few miles home. By the time I got home, I was feeling a bit feint and my eyesight was going blotchy, but I was fine after a few minutes rest and a cup of tea.

This evening, I fixed the puncture. It was an ordinary thorn, and not a particularly hard one, so I can confirm that these tyres are useless against punctures. I haven't even done 100 miles with them yet. I never had a puncture in about 10,000 miles with the normal Marathon Plus tyres that are much harder than these ones.

What did I learn:
1. Some very kind people that are always willing to help'
2. Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTB tyres are useless against punctures.
3. Probably best not to ride your bike when you don't feel well.

Here's the heartbeat chart. It's a bit higher than the last time I did the same ride on my roadbike without assistance, though I was hardly putting any effort into pedalling this time, while as I'd be standing on the pedals of my roadbike. It doesn't look too bad to me. Ave 143, max 169. What do you think? How high before you die?

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
That's a terrible tale in many ways and a heart warming one in others.

I'm wondering if you've had that bloody awful covid thing. It's about and causing a lot of trouble. I mention that because it has a nasty habit of mucking people up, besides just making them feel ill like ordinary flu. I've had a whistling ear 9500 khz , 24/7 ever since I had it two years ago.... Just part of the rich tapestry of life after the bloody thing. Those heart rates you mention don't tally with what I know about you as a life long cyclist.

Anyway - kindness of strangers is always good and heart warming.

Thorns are always bastards. They got me multiple times when I was in Gloucestershire picking up my Moulton when I got it - used up all my patches and I still ended up walking back. I got marathon tyres on that and no more trouble. Multiple grief after that on a variety of bikes too.

But you are alright now and we can all laugh about it.

Those heart rates are high though. Don't think you are over that virus.

Lenny is looking on the dark side. Ignore that. And double check that heart rate monitor,. It may well be wrong. Old fashioned wrist, finger, watch. Count for fifteen seconds and multiply by four.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Just read that again and if you are going faint and beginning to lose your vision you are definitely not well. Take it easy and if it continues book in at the quacks and see what is causing it. Take your pulse rate at different times of day - first thing in the morning in bed when you wake, then out on a sensible rate walk about, and again then when you have had ten minutes to recover after your walk, while sitting down. Make a note and you have a guide to give the doctor, or for your own records. As an engineer, you know the value of data in analysing and solving problems. Don't trust that smart watch unless you are sure of it. Calibrate it with the old fashioned fool proof method.

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
You always see glass half empty. It was your guardian angel who punctured your tyre. She knew you are stubborn like a mule and saw it as the only way to protect you from heart attack. Then she put good people with pumps on your way to get you home somehow.

Take it easy and get well soon.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just read that again and if you are going faint and beginning to lose you vision you are definitely not well. Take it easy and if it continues book in at the quacks and see what is causing it. Take your pulse rate at different times of day - first thing in the morning in bed when you wake, then out on a sensible rate walk about, and again then when you have had ten minutes to recover after your walk, while sitting down. Make a note and you have a guide to give the doctor, or for your own records. As an engineer, you know the value of data in analysing and solving problems. Don't trust that smart watch unless you are sure of it. Calibrate it with the old fashioned fool proof method.
This is my heartbeat for the whole day. It's not too bad. resting heart rate is 59 bpm. it's always possible that I have blood clots in my lungs again, which restrict the bloodflow through them and makes my heart beat faster, but I think it's just the virus:

Bogmonster666

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2022
I'm guessing you are about 60? I am only guessing that on the basis that at 60 then 160 is generally considered a sensible max heart rate (220. - age).

For general exercise a target of 50 tp 70% of max and vigorous exercise as 70 to 85% of max. I suspect you already know that. As a non-medical person I would suggest giving yourself some more time and getting some professional medical advise. Some time ago I was diagnosed with ME and whilst it was relatively mild it took me a long time to recover. Many people with ME developed it after insufficient rest and recovery after illness and the same pattern developed with long covid. Pushing too hard after an illness certainly looks to have some associated risks.

On the max heart rate thing I don't wear a monitor as have not found anything that is cheap and would survive my main exercise activity of caving. However, I suspect I regular over do it. We have quite a fit and competitive bunch and the pace can be gruelling, especially if it's approaching last orders.

Cheap heart rate monitors can also be unreliable, either missing beats or double counting. I did once have one and it would frequently double count and give alarming messages. The best thing is to get good at taking your own pulse in the old fashioned way and double check.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc and Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
This is my heartbeat for the whole day. It's not too bad. resting heart rate is 59 bpm. it's always possible that I have blood clots in my lungs again, which restrict the bloodflow through them and makes my heart beat faster, but I think it's just the virus:
View attachment 58603
Do you have a history of blood clots in your lungs or is this just related to the 'flu' you say you had? I'm guessing you've had covid-19. It is rife around here in the north right now and I think it probably is all over the country. Blood clots was a classic side effect of that thing.

Take it easy until you are better, and if at all in doubt, seek some medical attention.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Do you have a history of blood clots in your lungs or is this just related to the 'flu' you say you had? I'm guessing you've had covid-19. It is rife around here in the north right now and I think it probably is all over the country. Blood clots was a classic side effect of that thing.

Take it easy until you are better, and if at all in doubt, seek some medical attention.
Yes, in June 2020 I was admitted to hospital when I couldn't get enough oxygen. it took more than 6 months to get back to normal. There was no explanation for where they came from or why. I did have a weird virus around Xmas 2019 and my toes turned purple 3 months later, then the clots came three months after that.

• Informative
Reactions: Ghost1951

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Bummer that. Sounds like you were an early adopter of the Chinese 'Flu', bat virus. Look after yourself and if it gives any more worry, get some professional advice.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Hecky thump @saneagle , that was a ride to remember for all the wrong reasons! It's a plus that you made it back home to regale us of your rather unpleasant experience.

I've experienced similar massive HR variations and feeling unwell and whilst the symptoms you have could be down to many things but for me it was Atrial Fibrillation, so put your feet up and Google that one if for no other reason than to eliminate it.

If you are inclined to invest in a more reliable HR monitor but not one of those beastly chest straps, have a look at the Scosche Rythym+ range that sit very comfortable in the crook of the elbow and record to an app or other BT or ANT+ device.

Keep well and happy pedalling .

Last edited:
Reactions: Az.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hecky thump @saneagle , that was a ride to remember for all the wrong reasons! It's a plus that you made it back home to regale us of your rather unpleasant experience.

I've experienced similar massive HR variations and feeling unwell and whilst the symptoms you have could be down to many things but for me it was Atrial Fibrillation, so put your feet up and Google that one if for no other reason than to eliminate it.

If you are inclined to invest in a more reliable HR monitor but not one of those beastly chest straps, have a look at the Scosche Rythym+ range that sit very comfortable in the crook of the elbow and record to an app or other BT or ANT+ device.

Keep well and happy pedalling .
Thanks. I've been using this watch for over a year and I'm pretty sure that it's fairly accurate and very reliable regarding heartbeat. It gives a realtime chart, which i often look at, and have recorded many rides and walks before. What I'm seeing now is different. During the day, my resting heartbeat is normally below 60.

I went out for another ride today and took it very easy.It was difficult to keep my heartbeat below 150, and when I got to the end of my ride, I had to lift my bike up 4 steps, which sent my heeartbeat over 160, and I was a bit breathless. I'm going to bet that I have blood clots again. If it doesn't change after another week, I'll have to get checked out. The problem is that they said last time that if they come back, I have to take the blood thinner for the rest of my life, then when I cut myself, it doesn't stop bleeding. In March, I broke my nose and lost a massive amount of blood. If I had been taking the thinners then, I would have been in serious trouble. That's why I'm reluctant to go to the doctor, not that I'd be able to get an appointment, anyway.
Here's today's chart. You can see when I was riding my bike (virtually air pedalling), and the thin high spike is where I climbed the 4 steps. The ride was mainly downhill on the way out. I stopped for about half an an hour to have a meeting, then rode home mainly uphill - still more or less air pedalling:

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

"Having higher natural levels of iron could be both good and bad for cardiovascular health, according to new research. On one hand, it may lower the risk of clogged arteries, but on the other hand, it may raise the risk of blood clots related to reduced flow."

"A build-up of iron in the heart can cause heart failure and abnormal heart rhythms."

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Blood clots can lead to strokes or clots that stop your heart and kill you.

Please do not take them lightly. Get yourself properly checked out as a matter of urgency and take it easy until you have been seen and properly evaluated. The blood thinners are a small inconvenience in comparison to what can happen.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
Blood clots can lead to strokes or clots that stop your heart and kill you.

Please do not take them lightly. Get yourself properly checked out as a matter of urgency and take it easy until you have been seen and properly evaluated. The blood thinners are a small inconvenience in comparison to what can happen.
This is very good advice, please take it.
My A-Fib started with exactly your symptoms after a month fighting a virus, you need to get checked out.
I rarely contribute on here now but after reading your post I have to urge you to move quickly on this.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

geoff967

Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2019
Can not help but agree with getting checked out.
I was unable to cycle back from a ride.train home as luckily near wylam station.
advised by doctor to go to hospital.spent 1 night and confirmed atrial fibrillation .had the shock treatment eventually approx 2 months later after usual medications.only worked for 2 days but have had second shock and feeling fine
Resting pulse down from 75 to 55 not bad at 79

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I just found out that one of the side effects of Alopurinol that I take for gout prevention is blood clots. My blood clots arrived not long after I started with it. I guess I need a test.
Edit:
So I just rang the GP to see if I can get a blood test, which should give the answer. I'll get a call back this afternoon. Let's see what happens.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
@saneagle I understand your reluctance regarding blood thinners - as a sufferer of afib (last 5 years hence my adoption of an ebike or two) I take blood thinners and you're right, getting a cut can be messy.

Last year's double fracture of the pelvis saw a worryingly large internal bleed and my BP dropped to 65/40 which got the A & E rather excited for a bit, and of course if the ambulance hadn't got me to A & E when they did and I'd been on the roadside longer, I suspect I'd not be here to tell the tale, but on balance (as in not wanting a clot/stroke) I am still taking the thinners but half the original dosage (my choice - don't tell my GP)

In my cycling 1st aid kit I carry a small tube of superglue for minor cuts and a wad of dressing and a roll of electrical tape for any nasty road rash - so far I've not had to put it to the test although at home the superglue has helped a good few times.

...... confirmed atrial fibrillation .had the shock treatment eventually approx 2 months later after usual medications.only worked for 2 days but have had second shock and feeling fine ........
Good to hear you're stable for the moment. AF has a habit of returning - the key is to try and understand the triggers which vary person to person. For me it was excessive exercise - three times I went into permanent AF after long cycle rides (100 mile days) hence lesson learnt and an ebike and more moderate riding.

Related Articles

Advertisers