Specify best conversion outcome for same cost as Argos recent bargains

Jaxter

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2020
£200 is a very good price for "like new" Cannondale Adventure. You can wait few years for lower prices, but then nobody will give you back lost time.

View attachment 59603

I paid £500 and don't regret.
Really nice to see how your bike turned out, i think we brought them at the same time, unfortunately i have to rely on a friend to convert mine.
He told me it was done at the start of summer but has yet to deliver it, so been tootling about on my carerra bbs02 he did for me previously, fingers crossed i get it in time to ride through the winter. I went for a bafang rear hub on mine.

Reactions: Az.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
85 mile day yesterday with only 2 of busy road! We are never safe!
Surely it's got to be worth the price of a plastic lollipop and GoPro extension mounts trying? That mirror could have knocked you down to be squished, by whatever heavy metal wheeled and mirrored object was behind it's metal box on wheels. We mustn't be shy requesting 39.9cm of road space from the end of our handlebar, especially considering they're supposed to allow 150cm. I've used this thing for years, and not even one close pass - it has never been struck by a vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you have some reservations about the 11t free wheels ?

DRIFT MANIAC 7 Speed Freewheel For E-Bike 11-28T/11-34T Screw On Freewheel https://amzn.eu/d/inm6bap
Yes. None of them (dnp, sunrace, ventura etc) is anywhere as reliable as ordinary cassettes. You need to understand how they are built. Some are freewheel to cassette adapters. They fail well before 3000 miles. Some have a very small and thin core. They pop out into 10 pieces when you don't expect. All of tgem wobble when you look at them. The ordinary cassettes are a simple set of rings and they don't wobble. There is absolutely no surprise. I have replaced more 11t freewheels than any member on here has bought. I often learn the hard way. Nowadays, I go for tried and tested rather than niche and novelty.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Surely it's got to be worth the price of a plastic lollipop and GoPro extension mounts trying? That mirror could have knocked you down to be squished, by whatever heavy metal wheeled and mirrored object was behind it's metal box on wheels. We mustn't be shy requesting 39.9cm of road space from the end of our handlebar, especially considering they're supposed to allow 150cm. I've used this thing for years, and not even one close pass - it has never been struck by a vehicle.
If I was an urban rider, I'd have one. Main issue is the end of season condition of my trusty Guernicar Deflector ©®™!

And it being end of rush hour on a Friday.

IMG_20240831_182326899_HDR.jpg

I am having to make do with some appalling camp spots on this trip.

IMG_20240831_085055412.jpg

IMG_20240831_182418329_HDR.jpg

Reactions: Az. and SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2024
Sheffield
Respect @matthewslack for the Hilleberg tent (Enan?).
Nearly finished a road e-touring build, and an old Akto is going in the panniers.
But, man are they expensive!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have replaced more 11t freewheels than any member on here has bought.
I'll challenge you on that one. I used to buy boxes of them direct from DNP and sell them both on Ebay and to forum members. I bought and sold both 7-speed and 8-speeds- probably about 200 in total. I also sold a substantial number to Hammer bikes for their conversions until I explained to them that it would be better for them to buy them direct from DNP too.

So did you have to replace more than 200?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not as many as 200 but they are not a reliable solution.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Not as many as 200 but they are not a reliable solution.
Just looking at the reviews on Amazon for the Drift Maniac (which are mostly favourable) , there is a significant number reporting those problems you described (usually between 2000-3000 miles of use)

Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Those 11t freewheels are the only solutions when you have already got your motor.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Bonzo Banana

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2019
Just looking at the reviews on Amazon for the Drift Maniac (which are mostly favourable) , there is a significant number reporting those problems you described (usually between 2000-3000 miles of use)
The trouble with reviews of freewheels is knowing how they are used. If you use it on a conventional bike then they get a real test when climbing hills and if you use them with a mid-drive motor they can be almost instantly destroyed but with a hub motor they can deliver a decent lifespan because the hub motor is taking a huge amount of stress and wear off them as the hub motor works in parallel with the drivetrain not through it. You get ebikes in the US with 1000W motors and they simply don't care what freewheel they fit as the hub motors does most of the work when climbing hills and even for lower power 250W hub motors they still get a much easier life than a conventional bicycle. Personally I prefer front hub motors but I think you can make a strong case for freewheels over freehubs for rear hub motors although both are good options with different positives and negatives.

For any mechanical product which may fail its always worth bearing in mind the ease of solving the problem and removing a old freewheel from a hub motor is surely a better option than having to replace a freehub on a rear hub motor.

However for cheaper e-mountain bikes and I mean real e-mountain bikes not pretend e-mountain bikes I think a freehub is a better option just like on real mountain bikes as its better supported and stronger to deal with impacts to the rear wheel when used off-road because of the bearings placement. It can take greater weight and there is less pressure on the axle to bend.

There are quite a few variables to consider to make an informed choice about such ebikes basically. Your use may dictate different options to someone else.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Respect @matthewslack for the Hilleberg tent (Enan?).
Nearly finished a road e-touring build, and an old Akto is going in the panniers.
But, man are they expensive!
Actually no, a really cheap second hand Wild Country Zephyros 2.

It is my second, the first cost £53 and lasted 140+ nights before I was careless packing up and broke the pole.

The second one I broke the pole after only 30 nights, but two broken poles make a good one plus spare sections easily carried. Gorilla tape mended the ripped pole sleeve, and tent still waterproof. £97 this one.

On the lookout for larger tent for a different style of trip: stay more than 1 night per place and have a bit more luxury.

Reactions: SkyMonkey

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I was an urban rider, I'd have one. Main issue is the end of season condition of my trusty Guernicar Deflector ©®™!
Poor thing looks injured and in need of a flexible splint of some sort. Something situated higher up and at the front of your bike would help in addition I'm certain. Keeps cars and other vehicles away on every kind of road. Stops them cutting in too close in front too.

Talking of tents, someone I knew had an amazing wildly expensive fireproof and waterproof one man tent, which floated like a boat when our campsite was flooded with a couple of feet of water - he was punting about on it using a walking stick, asking smugly how everyone else was coping. Bald head poked out of the front, looked like a turtle. I was quite happy in my caravan, having upgraded two weeks prior. I'd watched as my old tent was broken to bits by high winds the day after my caravan upgrade, then made a big kite out of what was left, had to use the bike for take off speed. I watched in comfort from my caravan, as my two man dome tent was pumped up and down flat by the wind for ages before the poles eventually shattered. Over thirty five years on, I can't recall what that boat tent was, but someone out there might. Ground sheet was integral and about a foot or 15 inches height all the way around. Single pole (? might have been two). Tents which aren't fireproof can cover and stick to you, and continue burning. You can burn for ages if you're fat. Fat wicks.

Last edited: