Specify best conversion outcome for same cost as Argos recent bargains

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I'm slightly disappointed that my lovely orange Voodoo is not suitable for either type of conversion, although I suppose I could put 2x gears on...
Have you actually tried to do it?
If I were you I would remove bottom bracket, slide motor in and see how bad it is. Keep in mind neither your bike nor motor are listed buildings. Don't be afraid to file motor and frame to make a better fit.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Have you actually tried to do it?
If I were you I would remove bottom bracket, slide motor in and see how bad it is. Keep in mind neither your bike nor motor are listed buildings. Don't be afraid to file motor and frame to make a better fit.
I've made templates in the past to answer queries here, and the chainstays are almost like the maker wanted to be awkward! Max about 36 or maybe 38 chainwheel.

It came as a spare bike needing a home, so no hurry to do something with it.

I love your listed building brutal reality!!

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I think it could be done, just the flared chainstay will limit the size of the chainwheel, so you will need to pedal very fast. I copied @saneagle 's top gear of 48t /11t with 26" wheels that gives a very relaxed gearing suitable for an ebike
It is interesting, I'll maybe give hub some more thought. My Ridgeback has 38T chainwheel and 11-51 cassette, and in touring mode on the flat I am usually cruising in 38 to 15. So there may be an acceptable compromise to be found.

But out on a trip, so won't be soon.

Mirror hitting close shave from yesterday! Does the van not stopping constitute leaving the scene of an accident?

gpMediaMetadata_1725043422792.jpg

esuark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 23, 2019
kent
Did the mirror actually hit you?

I only do leisure riding and have over time found local routes that avoid those type of roads as above. I'm too frighten to do that sort anymore. But I'm still amazed at how many near misses drivers are prepared to take on the roads/lanes I use.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
There you go, I never even knew they made 8 speed freewheels.

I should buy that Trek for £80 OR BEST OFFER. Strip it down for spares.

It's in Leeds though, I live in the soft south.

Then there's the wife's reaction *sigh*
For rear hub conversion, the Shengyi DWG2NC motor has freehub, 135mm rear dropout. Same price as XF08C. The good thing about cassette is you have 11T on the smallest cog. That allows leisurely cadence up to 18mph with standard 44T chainring. Freewheels are not as good. Firstly, they wobble. Just spin the rear wheel and look at it. Not good for the chain and gear shifting. Secondly, you have 13T on the smallest cog, you have to pedal 17% faster compared to a cassette. 135mm rear dropout is pretty much standard nowadays. The DWG22C will drop in without effort.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It's certainly pointed me in the direction of what I would want for conversion in future for myself - a step-through aluminium frame with rigid forks, disc brakes and 650B wheels.
I think a Cannondale adventure would make a good donor bike, here's one for sale 6 miles from me
(650b wheels, disc brakes, but has front suspension)

Reactions: Az.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I've made templates in the past to answer queries here, and the chainstays are almost like the maker wanted to be awkward!
I used templates and searched internet to find if my bikes can be converted with TSDZ2B and TSDZ8. In both cases answer was: "NO. It can't be done".
I don't like to hear that something can't be done, so I tried and I tried and I did it. In both cases I had to butcher frames and file motor case a bit, but I made it work and I am very pleased with both conversions.

You might be right. Maybe your frame is to awkward, but it is worth to try. Especially if you already have bike and motor.

Reactions: matthewslack

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Mirror hitting close shave from yesterday! Does the van not stopping constitute leaving the scene of an accident?

View attachment 59602
I only do leisure riding and have over time found local routes that avoid those type of roads as above. I'm too frighten to do that sort anymore. But I'm still amazed at how many near misses drivers are prepared to take on the roads/lanes I use.
I can't avoid fast roads like that, and while cycling along a fast road yesterday, I reflected on how nice it is that the Oxford lollipop sticking out of the end of my right hand side handlebar end, commands a bit of the road drivers would otherwise drive through, without putting myself in danger of being driven over. You won't believe it's effectiveness until you try.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cadence

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I think a Cannondale adventure would make a good donor bike, here's one for sale 6 miles from me
(650b wheels, disc brakes, but has front suspension)

Yes, I clocked that a few months ago. Has the advantage of bottle cage fixings high on the downtube so no problem fitting a battery. As you say, it has front suspension which I definitely don't want though. It's also too dear ATM for this skinflint. In a couple of years they might be had for sub-£100 - much more like it!

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
For rear hub conversion, the Shengyi DWG2NC motor has freehub, 135mm rear dropout. Same price as XF08C. The good thing about cassette is you have 11T on the smallest cog. That allows leisurely cadence up to 18mph with standard 44T chainring. Freewheels are not as good. Firstly, they wobble. Just spin the rear wheel and look at it. Not good for the chain and gear shifting. Secondly, you have 13T on the smallest cog, you have to pedal 17% faster compared to a cassette. 135mm rear dropout is pretty much standard nowadays. The DWG22C will drop in without effort.
Do you have some reservations about the 11t free wheels ?

DRIFT MANIAC 7 Speed Freewheel For E-Bike 11-28T/11-34T Screw On Freewheel https://amzn.eu/d/inm6bap

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Yes, I clocked that a few months ago. Has the advantage of bottle cage fixings high on the downtube so no problem fitting a battery. As you say, it has front suspension which I definitely don't want though. It's also too dear ATM for this skinflint. In a couple of years they might be had for sub-£100 - much more like it!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
It's also too dear ATM for this skinflint. In a couple of years they might be had for sub-£100 - much more like it!
£200 is a very good price for "like new" Cannondale Adventure. You can wait few years for lower prices, but then nobody will give you back lost time.

I paid £500 and don't regret.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Do you have some reservations about the 11t free wheels ?

DRIFT MANIAC 7 Speed Freewheel For E-Bike 11-28T/11-34T Screw On Freewheel https://amzn.eu/d/inm6bap
I've been using a DNP 11-28T freewheel (probably the same manufacture as The Drift Maniac one) for over a year now (around 600 miles) on my steel framed Giant MTB without problems.
I took the precaution of flushing out the grease and dunking it in Hypoid 90 gear oil overnight, then letting it drain out a bit before fitting. I have a 48-38-28T front triple and have found that if I'm in the middle ring I only use the 11T on rare occasions. The 11T is reserved for the big 48T ring, but only if I'm in the mood to go faster than around 15mph - which isn't often these days. The objective in all cases is to try and keep the chain line as parallel as possible to reduce the wear stresses on the freewheel bearings, sprocket teeth and chain. Of course, one of the advantages of rear hub motors is much reduced wear on chains, chain sets and freewheels/cassettes anyway.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Oh no... I've just searched Facecrook Marketmenace, and Dahons are underpriced compared to ebay... which of course means this is yet another online souk I'll regularly be searching, for rare Dahons with rear 135mm dropouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peter.Bridge

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
£200 is a very good price for "like new" Cannondale Adventure. You can wait few years for lower prices, but then nobody will give you back lost time.
Very true, but ATM a step-through is just a "nice to have". In a couple of years time it might become a "need to have". Until then I'll just make do with what I've got, not least because I've been told by the domestic authorities that If another bike arrives I'll be sleeping in the garage with it! :eek: I do like your bike though. Hmmmm.....
I

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages of freewheels that you mention don't actually give problems in use. Some look a bit wobbly, but they still give years of service. Freewheels give two main advantages: Firstly, the mechanism is inside the freewheel, which is easy and cheap to replace, unnlike some freehub motors that become scrap when the pawls wear. Secondly, freewheel motors always have wider stator than freehub ones, so they can handle more power. Also, the cost of replacement of a freewheel is a lot less, and freewheels generally last a lot longer than cassettes. Finally, freewheel motors are generally cheaper than freehub ones. For anyone that's pragmatic, freewheel is better than freehub for normal bike riding.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantages of freewheels that you mention don't actually give problems in use. Some look a bit wobbly, but they still give years of service. Freewheels give two main advantages: Firstly, the mechanism is inside the freewheel, which is easy and cheap to replace, unnlike some freehub motors that become scrap when the pawls wear. Secondly, freewheel motors always have wider stator than freehub ones, so they can handle more power. Also, the cost of replacement of a freewheel is a lot less, and freewheels generally last a lot longer than cassettes. Finally, freewheel motors are generally cheaper than freehub ones. For anyone that's pragmatic, freewheel is better than freehub for normal bike riding.
The vast majority (99%+) of customers never need to replace the freehub and I always keep spares.
Customers should go for the best available solution within their budget, otherwise you could save a few quid and never experience what a good bike can do for you.
Secondly, freewheel motors always have wider stator than freehub ones, so they can handle more power.
The Shengyi DWG2NC and the MXUS XF08C are both available with freewheel motor lid. The difference in price is small.
I chose cassette body because of their superior features.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I can't avoid fast roads like that, and while cycling along a fast road yesterday, I reflected on how nice it is that the Oxford lollipop sticking out of the end of my right hand side handlebar end, commands a bit of the road drivers would otherwise drive through, without putting myself in danger of being driven over. You won't believe it's effectiveness until you try.
85 mile day yesterday with only 2 of busy road! We are never safe!