Purchase advice please

BobJ

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 3, 2009
After some considerable time considering the purchase of an e-bike I've decided to treat myself for Xmas.

I'm a lifelong off-road motorcyclist (ridden in Europe, Greece, S Africa, the Himalayas, Cambodia, and again in the Himalayas in August this year) but have now decided to move to off-road cycling so that I escape the wrath of those who still see motorcycles as a "lower class" mode of transport and motorcyclist as beneath contempt :mad:

I expect to be primarily riding pretty rough trails and forest tracks so have been looking for a full suspension mountain e-bike, with little success, and was about to buy a Kalkhoff Pro Connect Disc as a compromise (and subsequently ride less rough tracks) :(

By chance, and much reading on this forum, I have just discovered that there are a few full suspension e-bike about and I have been looking at the Tonaro Bighit, the Haibike eQ Xduro, and a number of KTM's (I've had many KTM motorcycles).

I live at the top of a big hill in a very hilly area (South Wales Valley), am 58, 6'1", 92kg and a gadget geek :cool:

I really need some help with this, money, although always a factor, won't be the major deciding issue - I want a quality e-bike that will help me climb the hills, ride rough tracks while my faithful dog runs along with me (so speed isn't a major issue either) - and finally, where can I buy the bike I choose.

Sorry for a long winded post but hope the forum can help.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Hi Bob and welcome to the forum!

I would think the Haibike your best bet or import a KTM as we did. They tend to be a bit better value IMO

50 cycles had a Haibike for sale at a decent discount price recently.......

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Hi Bob......my advice is to try as many as you can........but off road......well.......try the Tonaro Bighit.......awesome.......and great value......eats hills :D

Lynda

D

Deleted member 4366

There's also this Ebco one if you have plenty of cash:
EBCO to debut two new brands at the Cycle Show | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz
I've ridden the Haibike, which has good quality suspension and it's very powerful compared with other "legal" electric bikes. I would guess that it's a bit faster up the hills than a Tonaro, but I haven't yet ridden a Tonaro, so I can't say for certain.
If you're good with tools, you could build your own from a kit. I built this one for about £750 and it has top quality suspension and would blitz a haibike up any hill:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
As you want to ride trails and forest tracks I would think a Haibike or similar would be ideal. Best to avoid powerful front wheel drive setups as the wheel will be scrabbling for grip on the loose and muddy stuff and will also upset handling. The battery mounting of the Haibike is in frame giving best balance and with the frame giving some protection it should be better protected if you are unfortunate enough to fall off! ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Also the Haibike weighs in around 20kg so much better/safer handling and control.....

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

A point that needs to be mentioned: There's no throttle on a Haibike, so it's pedal assist only.

Also, not so important but these powerful crank-drive bikes will probably destroy your gears quite qickly because you've got about three times the power going through them than what's normal. Even people with the rather tame Panasonic motors have mentioned having to replace gears and mechanisms.

JuicyBike

Trade Member
Jan 26, 2009
Derbyshire
Hi Bob
I'd go with the kit solution d8veh suggests. You can find kits with exactly your requirements and fit to your perfect bike. The only downside is the front wheel drive imposing unusual stresses on the frame and handling issues. An experienced cyclist like yourself will easily cope and a decent headset and forks combination will help solve the odd stresses imposed on the frame by being pulled rather than pushed.
You also get the advantage of all-wheel drive.
Many kits are available from members of this forum and some manufacturers are now supplying them - Wisper, Oxygen amongst others, including ourselves.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
A Haibike or KTM would probably work best.

There's a few people on endless sphere that use downhill bikes with big direct drive hub motors that seem to take off road quite well. The only problem with that though is weight being higher and having an expensive controller and battery mounting problem.

Crank drive and Battery in the middle would provide the best options for off road really.

Gear hub motors from what I read don't tend to like being chucked on the rough stuff and usually ends with various gears being broken.

Although some of the roads I use arn't exactly smooth.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Bob,

Welcome to forum. Which valley? I was born in Rhiwderin between Newport and Caerphilly ... in the ,,, umm .. inbetween the Usk and Rhymney rivers ... could be the Rhymney valley I suppose .. unless its not in an actual valley! ... I always tell people I'm from the valleys! ...
If I was going to get a mtb I think I would go for a crank drive. I always thought that the Gruber Assist looked good but I dont think any of our members have one ... I'd have a fixed gear hub in the rear wheel like a Rohloff or similar ... There are good range available at the moment so have fun trying all the various bikes ..

amiskin

Just Joined
Oct 10, 2011
HX7 7PJ
There is another crank drive Tonaro around and that is the Unicorn. Much the same as the Bighit with full suspension but using a more conventional "Y" frame rather than the cantilever saddle of the Bighit. I live on the 300 metre contour in the pennines and the only way out from home is a 50 metre vertical climb usng a 4x4 vehicle up a 1 in 4 (or 25% if yu wish). The Shimano Alvio 8 gears on the Tonaros are fairly high with a 42T ring and 32T as the lowest cog and 11T as the highest. Hence with a cadence of 90 R.P.M. at the crank you can hit 30 mph on the flat and grind up 1 in 4's at 4mph whilst pedalling at 40 rpm in bottom gear. Remember that you have the equivalent of an Olympic athlete helping you. To keep the motor spinning in bottom gear you need to pedal a bit when tackling a 1 in 4 but it just keeps going. The Unicorn nudges 30Kg all up including the standard 10Ah battery. It is an aluminium frame but built like a tank. I am not sure how you would destroy it; the worst outcome might be bent front forks.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
After some considerable time considering the purchase of an e-bike I've decided to treat myself for Xmas.

I'm a lifelong off-road motorcyclist (ridden in Europe, Greece, S Africa, the Himalayas, Cambodia, and again in the Himalayas in August this year) but have now decided to move to off-road cycling so that I escape the wrath of those who still see motorcycles as a "lower class" mode of transport and motorcyclist as beneath contempt

So now you want to have the wrath of all those mountain bikers and cyclists who think using electric bikes is cheating. As a motorcyclist and an electric bike rider I get more grief from cyclists for using an electric bike than I have ever been given by car users for using a motorcycle. You are going to jump from the frying pan into the fire here.

You can do what I do though and ride your motorbike and an electric bike. Giving the motorbike up is just like agreeing that motorcyclists are second class citizens.

These are all mine and I am not giving them up for anyone.

Steve

tonyishuk

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2011
Last edited:

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
If you want a full suspension bike that will ride bumpy terrain well you will get a better ride quality with a crank drive bike, the reason being a hub motor will give you a much higher unsprung weight and make the suspension less responsive and also the steering less responsive through the gyroscopic effect of having a heavy hub motor spinning around:

Unsprung Weight = Faster Lap Times

(this page is about dirt bikes but it explains the gist of it)

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi Our Kits will fit most full suspension bikes they will climb mountains with 1,500 watts of power available rear hub motor we use 48 volt 15 AH battery mounted in a ruck sack

Battery weight 4.5 kilos

Rear wheel 8 kilos

we can supply a kit fitted to the 2 bikes below for £1660 + the bike + delivery

Diamondback - Mission 1

Diamondback - Sortie 1

Please call Me

Frank

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Desperate for business Frank?

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi NRG

This is A new product for our new range off 8 X bikes Including Twin wheel drive and a Dayton 20 inch folder and a Tandem

Our new range starts at £1295 For a Raleigh Diamond Back Peak DD with 48 volt 10AH Battery 1,500 watt rear motor Electronically restricted to 15 MPH

Just Answering the post

As this bike will do what it say on the tin

Frank

Polar753

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Scotland
Hi Bob

Interesting thread, I've been researching exactly this subject for the last few weeks and will purchase once I find the right bike. I've decided that cheap Chinese kits a a definite "no" as I just don't think they are strong enough for proper off road use. I really want to keep away from the "garden shed" look.

I'm steering away from hub motor kits as I just don't think they will last off road, I believe they have worse climbing ability, less efficient, poor ride quality and they tend to have a high battery location which must compromise agility. Also not keen on the battery in a rucksack option either.

So what's left KTM, Haibike and no mention so far of the X-Flyer.

The KTM bikes look really nice, not sure about the price KTM Bikes // Bikes vom Besten! but looking at the pictures of the standard Bosch motor fitting, it seems somewhat exposed, and I know I will ding it at some point.

Have a look at the 2012 Haibike range Haibike

That is getting really close for me, the new 29 inch wheel is something I have to try out.

LEV | our shop | buy electric bikes

I thought the Swiss flyer was nearer 5K but should be worth a look as the Panasonic system is well proven now.

The other thing to think about is Bosch have just released a 350w system, Bosch Introduces 28 MPH Bottom Bracket Motor | Doped Bike

So far the bike I really want doesn't exist yet, full suspension 29 inch wheel with the 350 watt, Bosch motor. The Haibike gets closest, interested to see if you can dig anything better out.

Good luck,

(please ignore all typos, spelling, grammar etc etc etc I got a D in English and proud of achieving that!)

I have no association with any of the links above. Also don't go too nuts about the whole hub motor thing, its just my opinion regards more serious mtbing.+ Any other disclaimers you can think of. (please don't start any manufacturer squabbling, not interested:p)

Let us know what you get, have fun looking.

R.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
In my opinion if you want to really hammer it off road you are better off with normal mountain bike size wheels (26") as in my experience 29" wheels arent as strong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So what's left KTM, Haibike and no mention so far of the X-Flyer.

The KTM bikes look really nice, not sure about the price.
Forum member EddieO rated the Flyer X very highly apart from the price, but bought a KTM.