May 23, 2015
it was put in to a trust and passed probate and on market now

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
do i pay cgt if i sell my dads flat 90k
No. The proceed is part of the estate and already taxed if going over the tax free allowances. What you get is tax paid. You need to talk to your solicitor though.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
do i pay cgt if i sell my dads flat 90k
No. Any inheritance tax is already deducted. You don't pay any inheritance tax unless the value of his estate is greater than £325k. Other than that, what he left you is tax free and yours to do what you like with it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
he is a twat and just told him sort it asap and send me the money :p

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
An elderly neighbour of mine caught covid the week before last and it degenerated to pneumonia.... I doubt he will be seen again outside without being in a box on its way for disposal.
He died yesterday.
Sorry to hear about that. Now I'm wondering if care home residents are still dying faster than they were before the pandemic.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Eat the rich"

Better still, why not get a bit rich yourself?

Once you have eaten the rich, what will you do after that?
"Your body makes about 2 million new red cells every second, so it only takes a number of weeks to build up stores of them again."

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I wish there was a directive to fit electric shock pads to wake some people up - particularly the fellow who in Newcastle last Saturday shot onto the mini roundabout right in front of me causing me to have to take avoiding action when I was riding my Brompton, and the chap who pulled out just as I passed his parked car yesterday on my e-bike.It isn't driving without due care and attention - more like 'Driving while semi-conscious'.
For me at least, very bright headlights has stopped all that happening - a total of "6000LM" on the handlebar on day and night. During the day, I keep one "1800LM" flashing, the other "1800LM" and "2400LM" on constant mode. At night all handlebar headlights on constant mode. Plus another "1800LM" headlight made red as a rear blinky, flashing day and night. They're not blinding, I've tested them on driver friends.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
You can deduct a lot from your gain before tax is paid. The deductions exceed usually the original cost and inflation. Ther rate of CGT is also incredibly favourable: 10% for up to about £50k, 20% above that threshold. If you were to go to work and earn £50k, your tax is about 30% and you have expenses getting to work. I reckon CGT should be increased to at least the same level as or treated same as PAYE + dividend + rental income to be fair. Low CGT rate causes money to be diverted into buying shares for growth instead of dividend, pushing up house prices and rents etc.
I was obviously wrong then. I've never had to pay it.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I don't really want to become an advocate for the super rich, though i don't have any animosity towards them. People who do are just envious. I have an old pal from schooldays who hates people who have more than him. It is pure envy and insane , old fashioned hard left politics that he got at his father's knee - his father, an old fashioned communist born about 1914 who wanted revolution like in Russia.

A few facts about who pays the most tax:

The top 1% in wealth pay 29% of all the tax the government collects.

The richest 10% pay 60% of all income tax receipts.

Back in the 1970s the Labour Chancellor Denis Healey boasted that he would squeeze the rich until the pips squeaked. He raised tax on the rich to 95%. They left the country in droves. The tax take fell.

When Thatcher came to power she scrapped the 95% tax rate and made the top rate 40%. The amount of tax collected rose substantially. Why? Because rich people came back to the UK. These are the people who can move anywhere in the world.

The non-Doms hated by the hard left, are people whose money comes from abroad (like Sunac's wife - an Indian woman whose Indian family have large fortunes earned in India). Why chase these people away because they don't pay income tax and corporation tax on Indian money? It is stupid and counter productive. They pay huge amounts of VAT on their spending. We simply lose all that VAT, and the employment generated by their spending, because they moved somewhere else and spend their money there.

Another proposed Labour tax that is going to shoot them in the foot is the removal of the VAT concession on private education. All my sons went to ordinary schools, so I have no axe to grind for private education. The average day school fees are £21,000 a year. Charging VAT on those fees will cause a very large number of families to abandon private education and send their children to ordinary schools. Many of them will close down when they lose their pupils and we will certainly see a huge inflow of new pupils into the ordinary schools. The cost of educating all those newcomers to the state school system will far outweigh what they collect in VAT from those who stay private.

This kind of politics is counter productive.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
A few facts about who pays the most tax:

The top 1% in wealth pay 29% of all the tax the government collects.
the top 1% richest people here (685,500 people) own about £2.8 trillions in the UK.
If they were to pay 1% of their wealth a year in tax, that would be £288 billions a year. That amount would help solve a lot of public service issues like pot holes on our roads. I would suggest that amount would count as tax credit toward their inheritance tax. ATM most of that wealth is held in family trusts, paying no inheritance tax.

Edit
A member pointed out to me that 1% of 2.8 trillions is 28 billions.
Thank you AnthonyC.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
the top 1% richest people here (685,500 people) own about £2.8 trillions in the UK.
If they were to pay 1% of their wealth a year in tax, that would be £288 billions a year. That amount would help solve a lot of public service issues like pot holes on our roads. I would suggest that amount would count as tax credit toward their inheritance tax. ATM most of that wealth is held in family trusts, paying no inheritance tax.
And do you think they would stay here to pay that? Why would they? They would simply bugger off elsewhere and keep their money. The Caymans? Dubai? California? All kinds of places would be VERY happy to have them and their indirect taxes. The Non Dom concessions were deliberately made to encourage them to come here so they would spend and pay VAT.

The 1970s Labour policy showed us exactly what would happen.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
He m
And do you think they would stay here to pay that? Why would they? They would simply bugger off elsewhere and keep their money. The Caymans? Dubai? California? All kinds of places would be VERY happy to have them and their indirect taxes. The Non Dom concessions were deliberately made to encourage them to come here so they would spend and pay VAT.

The 1970s Labour policy showed us exactly what would happen.
If you have as much money as they have , paying 1% tax is not a big deal, especially if it counts as advance on inheritance tax and their fortune grows much more than 1% a year.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
He m

If you have as much money as they have , paying 1% tax is not a big deal, especially if it counts as advance on inheritance tax and their fortune grows much more than 1% a year.
I don't care really, except that we know when the very rich were taxed highly in the past, all the very wealthy media types and pop stars and many other just went elsewhere. When Thatcher came in and reduced it to a sensible level, they all came back again and paid 40% and lots and lots of vat. I think it is just driven by old fashioned envy and stupidity since there will in the end be less money for what the Chancellor wants to pay for.

Its just a fact that lowish tax economies grow faster than high tax ones. Nobody is going to work hard to see the majority of their money sucked up and given to other people.

USA growth rate last year 2.7%
Euro zone growth average last year 0.7%
UK growth last year 0.5%

Which one has the lowest tax rates? People work harder to make more money when they get to keep most of it.

Last edited: