Prices of the electricity we use to charge

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
I don't care really, except that we know when the very rich were taxed highly in the past, all the very wealthy media types and pop stars and many other just went elsewhere. When Thatcher came in and reduced it to a sensible level, they all came back again and paid 40% and lots and lots of vat. I think it is just driven by old fashioned envy and stupidity since there will in the end be less money for what the Chancellor wants to pay for.

Its just a fact that lowish tax economies grow faster than high tax ones. Nobody is going to work hard to see the majority of their money sucked up and given to other people.
"The answer may surprise you. Despite making a £222 million profit, Amazon's main UK division paid no corporation tax in 2022.

Because of government tax breaks, this is the second year in a row that this part of Amazon has paid no corporation tax here.

In fact the UK government actually gave Amazon money last year: £7.7m in tax credits for making investments in infrastructure, which they likely would have made anyway."

"UK lost out on £2bn in tax in 2021 as big tech shifted profits abroad, claim campaigners

TaxWatch analysis estimates British arms of seven major tech firms paid £750m in corporation tax instead of possible £2.8bn"

"HMRC’s 2024 Tax Gap report: Amount of tax going unpaid hits record high at £39.8bn in 2022-23"

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Seven of the biggest US-headquartered tech companies, including Apple, Microsoft and Google owner Alphabet, are estimated to have paid £750m in UK corporation tax and the digital sales tax, compared with £2.8bn in estimated tax due had profits not been routed elsewhere, according to TaxWatch, a campaign group.
When we get a new government, taxing organisations like Amazon and Ebay should be high on the agenda. They claim to be based elsewhere (low corporation tax jurisdictions like Ireland) but they are sucking up huge amounts of UK retail business and need to be taxed fairly.

Unlike individuals, mega profitable corporations will not jump on a plane and go elsewhere. They won't turn their back on profitable markets.

Mind you - be clear about this. It won't be Apple, Ebay, or Amazon shareholders who pay any tax. They will simply raise the prices customers pay. Corporations don't pay tax - their customers do. So when you tax Ebay, you pay when you buy something on the platform.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Did anyone watch the Trump - Biden debate? The pro-Biden CNN poll gave the results 67% vs 33% in favour of Trump! That's embarrassing. I think they're going to chuck Biden before the end of July. What do you guys think?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
It was HORRIFIC. I only watched the highlights, but the impression was that Biden was either having a stroke, or ge was completely senile. He is known for massive vanity and is unlikely to step back, but everyone can see he has dementia. Amazingly, top Democrats are still talking him up.

• Agree

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's looking like Channel 4 are in deep trouble for making fake news. The accusations are that they paid an actor, Andrew Parker, to play a role as a Reform party guy. They then interviewed him, where he said the most outrageous things. Everybody went nuts about these psychos in Reform as the news story spread, but it's looking like the whole thing was a setup and Ch4 have been caught. Ofcom are now involved and CH4 may have to pay massive fines.
The story has moved on a bit since that discussion. I believe that the actor has since admitted that it was him.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Did anyone watch the Trump - Biden debate? The pro-Biden CNN poll gave the results 67% vs 33% in favour of Trump! That's embarrassing. I think they're going to chuck Biden before the end of July. What do you guys think?
I watched the debate. It was hard to watch. Biden was at moment incomprehensible. Biden looked ill.
I can't see him doing his big job for another 4 1/2 years.
Dems will have to start again and find another candidate double quick.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
It's looking like Channel 4 are in deep trouble for making fake news. The accusations are that they paid an actor, Andrew Parker, to play a role as a Reform party guy.
I haven't seen anyone accuse channel 4 of that because it would be obvious rubbish and they would get sued. Plenty of Reform people have inferred it, the reason they haven't directly accused channel 4 is because they know it's rubbish and they don't want to get sued

• Agree

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I watched the debate. It was hard to watch. Biden was at moment incomprehensible. Biden looked ill.
I can't see him doing his big job for another 4 1/2 years.
Dems will have to start again and find another candidate double quick.
When people accuse me of spreading conspiracy theories when I mention that strange forces are controlling the world today, all I have to do is point to Biden and ask them how that guy became leader of the free world, when he doesn't even know which way up he's standing, and now I have an even stronger defence when I ask how are they expecting to get him re-elected. What are these strange forces that create this situation, and don't say stupidity?

• Agree
Reactions: MikelBikel

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I haven't seen anyone accuse channel 4 of that because it would be obvious rubbish and they would get sued. Plenty of Reform people have inferred it, the reason they haven't directly accused channel 4 is because they know it's rubbish and they don't want to get sued

I think you'll find that the wheels have already been put in motion to sue them.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
If Trump and Biden are the best of the USA then the western world is definitely doomed. RFK is also not good.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
When people accuse me of spreading conspiracy theories when I mention that strange forces are controlling the world today, all I have to do is point to Biden and ask them how that guy became leader of the free world, when he doesn't even know which way up he's standing, and now I have an even stronger defence when I ask how are they expecting to get him re-elected. What are these strange forces that create this situation, and don't say stupidity?
What are these forces? How about huge amounts of money, and the influece of YES MEN. Did you hear Gill Biden bigging up the dotard right after the epic disaster where on live tv he made it clear that he should be in a care home and not the Oval Office. Both he and Gill think he is great. Everyone else - not so much. AROGANCE HUBRIS AND MASSIVE VANITY