Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I've NEVER seen 4 quoted anywhere
I had just googled it and this was the first result

My Mum and my sister both have heat pumps (installed in the last year) - both seem happy - can't remember any fan noise - will listen out next time I'm there

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
The problems we have are ENTIRELY caused by too many people.

Here is what the world is like where you get away from them. I am going walking here today.

• Agree
Reactions: esuark and flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Thats one of my favourite places - some great cycle routes
Yes - I agree. I've been coming here since the early 1970s and now I live four miles south of the southern end of the forest. Two hundred and fifty square miles of forest and 150 million trees. Next to no people.

If you explore these forests, you find amazing places in them. Old fortified houses from the time of the Border Reivers, strange waterfalls and crags and hopefully soon, the Eurasian Lynx and wild cat. The two animals mentioned are I hope soon to be re-introduced there. Half of England's Red Squirrels are in this forest area. I took this photo a fe weeks ago while wandering in trackless forest. There is no phone coverage in most of it and there was certainly none where I took this photo. I should remind myself that I am not in my thirties any more. I was thinking while i was here, 'If I broke my ankle here, my remains would not be found for years. To be honest, I fully intend when I get something horrible, just to disappear into this wilderness and die under the trees. There is something pretty cool about just rotting to bones under the sky. Far better than having your relatives spend a fortune to have you boxed up and disposed of.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Here is another image of it from the web. It is called Jerry's Lynne and is on the Chirdon Burn , a tributary of the River North Tyne. By the way - all the river water around here is this amber ale colour. It is caused by the fact that it has seeped out of hundreds of sq kilometres of sphagnum moss, peat bog, and forest and carries the colouration of the peat. I had a heck of a job explaining peat bogs and moss to my French niece when she came to stay here. She was amazed that the stream which runs past my house was the colour of 'beer'.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I have heat pump at my house in France for the first time last winter. There are quite a few issues with getting more heat out of the pump. On very cold days, ice forms around the pump. The extra noise is not too bad but I am still looking for ways of reducing it. The house was heated with electricity before. The overall saving on my electricity bill is about 60%. Still worth the effort.
How much would you have saved if you kept the old system and simply turned down the heating to the level you have now?

Electric heating is very expensive. How much would you have saved if you had fitted a gas boiler?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
How much would you have saved if you kept the old system and simply turned down the heating to the level you have now?

Electric heating is very expensive. How much would you have saved if you had fitted a gas boiler?
We didn't use the house much in the last 25 years, so electric heating was fine. I don't have town gas where I am, so it's out of the equation. If gas was available, natural gaz costs about half per kwH (9p/kwH), the cost would be similar to heat pump except heat would be instantaneous.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Its is very difficult to accurately size an animal like a cat when you suddenly see it in an unfamiliar remote setting. I've spent countless leisure hours during my adult life prowling settings like the ones I have posted in photographs. I am well versed in stalking field craft and can move quietly, and wait long periods before moving again if I am wanting to see wildlife. I have many times got withing ten meters of wild roe deer which are very shy of people. I've seen dozens and dozens of them, and foxes and hares, badgers and adders. I would love to see a real European wild cat, I never have, let alone a puma. I actually went looking for wild cats. Never a sign, and I am talking about tracks and droppings too.

I don't think people are making up these sightings. I think they saw feral cats or even farm cats out hunting. If you are in a wild setting, it can be hard without normal reference points to work out how far something is from you, and it is easy to get the scale wrong and think the cat you saw is much larger than it is. I've seen cats in the forest, and thought, 'Bloody hell... it's a big cat,' and then looked again and realised it is closer than I thought and an ordinary cat.

I've seen Pine Martens in the woods up here and proper wild polecats - not escaped ferrets, though there has been some hybridisation so some ferrets look like polecats. If there really were large wild cats wandering the forests - given the time i have spent in them, I think I would have seen them by now.

On the bright side, there are some plans to release lynx up here and European Wild cats. They are native fauna and belonged here until the people got rid of them. I look forward to it, but animals like that are VERY shy of people, so the average walker is not going to see them.

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"By 2034, global energy consumption by data centers is expected to top 1,580 TWh, about as much as is used by all of India."

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023