Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I came across this while following saneagle's comedy link to the Glasgow Battery recycling plant fire.

All EU origin cars now to be fitted with effective, intelligent speed limiters so drivers can't break speed limits. They will know the limits and refuse to break them - apparently.

Some people will shout 'Nanny State', but I suspect like most cyclists and other 'vulnerable' road users, I am all for it. I wish there was a directive to fit electric shock pads to wake some people up - particularly the fellow who in Newcastle last Saturday shot onto the mini roundabout right in front of me causing me to have to take avoiding action when I was riding my Brompton, and the chap who pulled out just as I passed his parked car yesterday on my e-bike.It isn't driving without due care and attention - more like 'Driving while semi-conscious'.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
"An undercover investigation at a hospital has claimed a reporter witnessed patients waiting in A&E for up to 46 hours and undignified treatment of patients in corridors."

More and more money is poured into the NHS money pit and less and less comes out of it in terms of acceptable service.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dislike
Reactions: lenny

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Article from the Spectator on Greenism and Air Sourced Heat Pumps.

Tom Slater
Who can blame the Greens’ co-leader for not getting a heat pump?
24 June 2024, 12:32pm

Green party co-leader Carla Denyer has admitted she still has a gas boiler.

Tom Slater
You didn't need to write all that. The clue is in her name. I've been called a climate change denyer too.

Last edited by a moderator:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Last year scientists from Reading University found that severe turbulence, from this clear air phenomenon, had increased 55% between 1979 and 2020 in the North Atlantic."

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You didn't need to write all that. The clue is in her name. I've been called a climate change denyer too.
Heat pumps make sense only if your electricity is from renewables.

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Heat pumps make sense only if your electricity is from renewables.
Is that true ?

You get 3-4 times as much heat per kW from a heat pump compared with the most modern gas boilers. Gas power stations are 60 % efficient, so if the electricity is generated from gas , heat pumps are at least 2 times as efficient

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Is that true ?

You get 3-4 times as much heat per kW from a heat pump compared with the most modern gas boilers. Gas power stations are 60 % efficient, so if the electricity is generated from gas , heat pumps are at least 2 times as efficient
I have heat pump at my house in France for the first time last winter. There are quite a few issues with getting more heat out of the pump. On very cold days, ice forms around the pump. The extra noise is not too bad but I am still looking for ways of reducing it. The house was heated with electricity before. The overall saving on my electricity bill is about 60%. Still worth the effort.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

Look at the scale on the left hand side Lenny........

I challenge you to walk into two rooms, one at 18c and one at 19.5 degrees and tell the difference.

The mean temperature of the UK year round is just over 9c. It used to be 8c, So what, It is still bloody cold.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Is that true ?

The ratio between heat KW gained and electric kilowatts used to suck in air is variable. The quoted 3 times output (I've NEVER seen 4 quoted anywhere) is variable, and the quoted 3 times depends on outside air being warm. Most people I have talked to in the UK where I am who have installed these things are very disappointed - especially considering the huge cost if installation.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
I have heat pump at my house in France for the first time last winter. There are quite a few issues with getting more heat out of the pump. On very cold days, ice forms around the pump. The extra noise is not too bad but I am still looking for ways of reducing it. The house was heated with electricity before. The overall saving on my electricity bill is about 60%. Still worth the effort.
Since you had electric heating before, and since most electricity in France is already zero carbon because it is generated by nuclear plant, it seems a bit wild to pay a lot of money to install an electric heat pump. Maybe you did it to reduce your bill.

Fans get louder and louder as they age. You ain't heard nuthin yet...

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Electricity in France is mostly from renewables, so heatpumps are heavily promoted with state's renovation 'primes'.