Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
How lithium Cells are made

Interesting video I thought on construction of cells

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"The big story of the 21st century’: is this the most shocking documentary of the year?
Six years in the making, jaw-dropping new film The Grab shows a secret scramble by governments and private firms to buy up global resources"
:eek::eek::eek:

"The Grab is a 2022 American documentary film directed and produced by Gabriela Cowperthwaite. It follows investigative journalists at The Center for Investigative Reporting as they uncover efforts to control food and water resources."

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Your mobile phone with modern technology can transmit a few miles. If you see an outside live BBC broadcast, they use a massive dish antenna on a truck to broadcast about 50 miles. The guys on the moon needed to transmit 1/2 million miles, and signal strength is an inverse square law, so you need 100 times the power to transmit 10 times as far. An average mobile TV transmitter uses around 8kw to transmit 50 miles. It would need 800kw to transmit 500 miles, and 800MW to transmit from the moon. Let's say, there isn't as much information in the moon broadcast as normal TV. To get it down to the level of a couple of hundred watts, which is about as much as they could spare, the information would have to be 1/ 4,000,000 of a normal TV broadcast. The antennae on the lander were about the size of a frying pan. What do you reckon?

!5 billion miles away, a 47 year old broken computer has been sent a work around so that its dud chip can be ignored and the message processing is corrected.

It's tiny 23 watt signal is still getting through albeit that the data rate has now been slowed to 40 bits per second so it can be detected by massive dishes at Goldstone and in other locations depending on which part of Earth is facing the space craft at any particular time.

• :D
Reactions: Cyclist and POLLY

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

!5 billion miles away, a 47 year old broken computer has been sent a work around so that its dud chip can be ignored and the message processing is corrected.

It's tiny 23 watt signal is still getting through albeit that the data rate has now been slowed to 40 bits per second so it can be detected by massive dishes at Goldstone and in other locations depending on which part of Earth is facing the space craft at any particular time.
Then why does my mobile phone signal keep dropping out when I phone my friends? I have a dish on the side of my house too.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Then why does my mobile phone signal keep dropping out when I phone my friends? I have a dish on the side of my house too.
Might be because your phone's battery is shagged out and can't supply enough continuous current for the chipset to juggle lower bitrate codecs for lower/fluctuating signal during long calls. Your phone might also be doing a huge number of other things at the same time. In my case, the phone is recording all phone calls, which is an additional overhead. I'm thinking of replacing my old phone's battery for that reason, while new replacements are available - won't do any good if network operators drop long calls during busy periods as a matter of policy, while advertising "Unlimited" minutes in call packages. Bit like when the likes of Virginmedia broadband advertises "Unlimited" downloads, but then aggressively shapes traffic, the brigands.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Tell me about it..... People constantly can't get through to me unless I force my phone to only connect to the base station with 2g. I live in a hollow, with no line of sight to any antenna mast. 2g is low bandwidth. It passes data at a low bit rate, which makes the connection much more robust than high bandwidth, fast data rate comms.

If you can't connect, try in settings on your phone forcing 2g connection. That will depend on your provider though. Some like '3' only do 3g/4g and 5g. All of them are data hogs. On my android phone the option to change the mode is under settings/connections/mobile networks/network mode..... Try it.

Voyager is now running about 40 bits per second

4g runs between 8 and 10 million bits per second
3g runs 1 million bits per second
2g runs 30 to 50 thousand bits per second

The less data you are passing over the link, the more solid the connection even in weak signal conditions.

It's not rocket science - even if it nearly is.

Don't try connecting with 5 g unless you are right next to the base station. It runs speeds as high as 100 million bits per second. More data means you must have more signal strength.

I run a hobby, amateur radio, low power radio beacon at 1.4 bits per second. With 2 watts out - about the same power as a mobile phone, I can regularly get picked up in Australia. The only reason it works is that it is VERY low data rate and computerised radio receivers can find the signal in the noise.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Tell me about it..... People constantly can't get through to me unless I force my phone to only connect to the base station with 2g. I live in a hollow, with no line of sight to any antenna mast. 2g is low bandwidth. It passes data at a low bit rate, which makes the connection much more robust than high bandwidth, fast data rate comms.

If you can't connect, try in settings on your phone forcing 2g connection. That will depend on your provider though. Some like '3' only do 3g/4g and 5g. All of them are data hogs. On my android phone the option to change the mode is under settings/connections/mobile networks/network mode..... Try it.

Voyager is now running about 40 bits per second

4g runs between 8 and 10 million bits per second
3g runs 1 million bits per second
2g runs 30 to 50 thousand bits per second

The less data you are passing over the link, the more solid the connection even in weak signal conditions.

It's not rocket science - even if it nearly is.

Don't try connecting with 5 g unless you are right next to the base station. It runs speeds as high as 100 million bits per second. More data means you must have more signal strength.

I run a hobby, amateur radio, low power radio beacon at 1.4 bits per second. With 2 watts out - about the same power as a mobile phone, I can regularly get picked up in Australia. The only reason it works is that it is VERY low data rate.
Talking of radios, here's a funny anecdote. Members Saneagle and D8veh were out for a ride and enjoying their new communication with their Maplin 2-way radios.

Riding along a nice lane deep in the countryside, the radio silence was suddenly broken by: "Up there under the bushes. Get the dogs quick. Push, push push."

We looked at each other for a bit, then Saneagle presses his PTT button and says:
"Alpha 1 to Alpha 2. I think I've spotted them up the hill by the bushes with the dogs"

Daveh: " Alpha 1, Alpha 2. I'll sweep round from the South and try and cut them off if you can attempt to intercept from the East"

We didn't hear any more, as we continued pedalling up the road. In fact we could hardly pedal because we were creased up with laughter.

We've no idea who it was or where they were, but we assumed that there were some guys panicking somewhere doing some cruel illegal activity with dogs. Range was only a couple of miles, so they might have been nearby somewhere.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Talking of radios, here's a funny anecdote. Members Saneagle and D8veh were out for a ride and enjoying their new communication with their Maplin 2-way radios.

Riding along a nice lane deep in the countryside, the radio silence was suddenly broken by: "Up there under the bushes. Get the dogs quick. Push, push push."

We looked at each other for a bit, then Saneagle presses his PTT button and says:
"Alpha 1 to Alpha 2. I think I've spotted them up the hill by the bushes with the dogs"

Daveh: " Alpha 1, Alpha 2. I'll sweep round from the South and try and cut them off if you can attempt to intercept from the East"

We didn't hear any more, as we continued pedalling up the road. In fact we could hardly pedal because we were creased up with laughter.

We've no idea who it was or where they were, but we assumed that there were some guys panicking somewhere doing some cruel illegal activity with dogs. Range was only a couple of miles, so they might have been nearby somewhere.
Bet that put the frighteners on them.

Those radios are rather good for the tiny money they cost.

I got some for my eldest grandson. They worked a treat. Thirty eight years ago I bought some for my own sons, they were terrible by comparison and cost a lot more. They didn't even have a proper receiver. Some sort of regenerative nonsense designed in the 1920s and re imagined with a single transistor.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"1,000 watt-hours per liter, which is about 100 times greater than TDK’s current battery in mass production."
current best e-bike cells like the 21700 5000mAH has a volume of 24cm3. You can easily estimate the density of it in WH/L: 5WH*100*100*100/24=208WH/L
by using prismatic cells, the volumetric density can reach 250WH/L.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023