Prices of the electricity we use to charge

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
In that case, that's the right thing to do.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In that case, that's the right thing to do.
that's why I am not too worried about global warming but more about chemical pollution.

Reactions: flecc

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
This is long over-due. There has been talk of Scottish wind farms being paid money to keep their generators out of production, because there was no grid capacity to transfer the energy south. One big blockage was the trip through Northumberland. The Conservatives should have bulldozed through new pylons, but for obvious reasons they would not do it.

Sub sea cables do pose a strategic risk though, at a time when we are not getting on well with Russia. If things get any worse between us, you can expect that they will blow up lots of sub-sea, vital infrastructure. They have already been sniffing around internet cables and gas pipelines. They blew up a big pipeline of their own in the Baltic, a couple of years ago just as a warning of what they might do if we interfered anymore with their war on Ukraine. Russia has a well developed sub sea capability.

I could be wrong in blaming the Russians for the Nordstream demolition. See here ->

Nevertheless, we should still be wary about the risk of having a lot of nationally critical infrastructure under the sea - especially in international waters. Not that the Scottish power cable would have been in International Waters of course.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Woman, 53, jailed for 15 months over Facebook hate postpublished at 15:06 BST
15:06 BSTBREAKING

A 53-year-old woman is jailed for 15 months after she admitted to sending a threatening Facebook message on 3 August.
Julie Sweeney posted a messaged suggesting to "blow up a mosque with adults inside".
She was sentenced at Chester Crown Court.
This woman is obviously a nutter and the sentiment she posted was obviously disgraceful.

But - is a fifteen month jail sentence a proper response to a stupid, and nasty remark made on line? Given the shocking leniency of many sentences for actual acts of violence in other times. people -especially people around the age of 18, get sentences like that in nonfatal wounding cases.

Besides in cases such as making a death threat, the law says that the threat must be a credible one and that they must make it with the intention that the person threatened would likely believe that it would be carried out. I posted about a week ago about a court case in which a muslim guy I knew had very stupidly in an argument announced to someone that they would be the next one beheaded. This was a very stupid and reprehensible loss of control. He had two trials. In one he was found guilty and sentenced to a very large fine and community work. But this was overturned on appeal and he was found not guilty because the judge in the second case said there was no way he intended the person to believe he would do this and that nothing about his previous character or appearance would lead anyone to believe that he could or would do such a thing.

I would say that this woman made a similar very stupid and disgraceful remark, but that no one would really credibly believe that such a thing would be carried out.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This woman is obviously a nutter and the sentiment she posted was obviously disgraceful.

But - is a fifteen month jail sentence a proper response to a stupid, and nasty remark made on line? Given the shocking leniency of many sentences for actual acts of violence in other times. people -especially people around the age of 18, get sentences like that in nonfatal wounding cases.

Besides in cases such as making a death threat, the law says that the threat must be a credible one and that they must make it with the intention that the person threatened would likely believe that it would be carried out. I posted about a week ago about a court case in which a muslim guy I knew had very stupidly in an argument announced to someone that they would be the next one beheaded. This was a very stupid and reprehensible loss of control. He had two trials. In one he was found guilty and sentenced to a very large fine and community work. But this was overturned on appeal and he was found not guilty because the judge in the second case said there was no way he intended the person to believe he would do this and that nothing about his previous character or appearance would lead anyone to believe that he could or would do such a thing.

I would say that this woman made a similar very stupid and disgraceful remark, but that no one would really credibly believe that such a thing would be carried out.
We have two forms of justice. The normal and correct one according to law that you have previously posted about, and the special occasion justice to make an example when the authorities became frightened by events. This second form we saw after the Poll Tax riots in the 1980s when some insanely excessive sentences were handed out. The same happened after the riots occasioned by the killing of Mark Duggan. And now the same has happened after the latest riots in such as this womans case. I've no doubt some more will occur.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I could be wrong in blaming the Russians for the Nordstream demolition. See here ->

Nevertheless, we should still be wary about the risk of having a lot of nationally critical infrastructure under the sea - especially in international waters. Not that the Scottish power cable would have been in International Waters of course.
As I said at the time, why would the Russians want to blow up their own pipeline when they have a tap at their end, which could switch off the flow? Anybody that thought it was them, hasn't got two braincells to make a basic logic circuit.

Now they're trying to blame some Ukrainians that they have it in for, and the BBC either swallows it or publishes it as propaganda.

Let's try and figure out what they're saying: Some Ukraine guy hates Russians, so with a bit of help from his girlfriend/wife, he swims out into the middle of the Baltic Sea, then free-dives the 300ft down to plant the bombs that he made in his kitchen. Luckily, he was a fast swimmer, so he was able to get back to land before they went off.

Of course it was nothing to do with HM navy's new mini-sub that they were showing off shortly before the explosion, then might have taken to the North Sea for trials in exactly the place where the pipe exploded. They would have been really lucky that the pipe didn't explode while they would be there. Can you imagine doing trials in a mini sub in close vicinity to a pipeline, then find out that the pipeline exploded a couple of days later exactly where you were? That would put the creeps up me alright, but maybe the navy guys are made of stronger stuff than me.

Reactions: MikelBikel

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
We have two forms of justice. The normal and correct one according to law that you have previously posted about, and the special occasion justice to make an example when the authorities became frightened by events. This second form we saw after the Poll Tax riots in the 1980s when some insanely excessive sentences were handed out. The same happened after the riots occasioned by the killing of Mark Duggan. And now the same has happened after the latest riots in such as this womans case. I've no doubt some more will occur.
Yes - I agree. It is pretty obvious that in another time, the courts would probably not even be involved in a stupid, if reprehensible remark like that.

While I am dead against violence and disorder, and while I understand that the disorder needs to stop and violence and arson needs to be punished properly, I have an uneasy feeling about a woman of previous good character being locked up for fifteen months for s stupid remark, quite possibly after half a bottle of wine. That is not justice. It is supposed to be dispassionate, and measured - not panic stricken, and it is not supposed to be used as a means of repression by government. I would be amazed if that sentence stands IF all she did was what has been reported.

Last edited:

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
This second form we saw after the Poll Tax riots in the 1980s when some insanely excessive sentences were handed out. The same happened after the riots occasioned by the killing of Mark Duggan. And now the same has happened after the latest riots in such as this womans case. I've no doubt some more will occur.
Strangely - when the Roma folks rioted about three weeks ago when the social services took some allegedly neglected children into care, nothing happened. My memory seems to tell me that they burned a police car and made a lot of trouble, but I am not aware of any court proceedings about that.

Government gets very tetchy about suggestions of a two tier justice system, but what else are we seeing? Predominantly white working class riots and online remarks supporting them are hammered - other groups rioting ..... Not so much.

EDIT:

Correction. They turned over a police car and burned a bus.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: MikelBikel

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
As I said at the time, why would the Russians want to blow up their own pipeline when they have a tap at their end, which could switch off the flow? Anybody that thought it was them, hasn't got two braincells to make a basic logic circuit.

Now they're trying to blame some Ukrainians that they have it in for, and the BBC either swallows it or publishes it as propaganda.

Let's try and figure out what they're saying: Some Ukraine guy hates Russians, so with a bit of help from his girlfriend/wife, he swims out into the middle of the Baltic Sea, then free-dives the 300ft down to plant the bombs that he made in his kitchen. Luckily, he was a fast swimmer, so he was able to get back to land before they went off.

Of course it was nothing to do with HM navy's new mini-sub that they were showing off shortly before the explosion, then might have taken to the North Sea for trials in exactly the place where the pipe exploded. They would have been really lucky that the pipe didn't explode while they would be there. Can you imagine doing trials in a mini sub in close vicinity to a pipeline, then find out that the pipeline exploded a couple of days later exactly where you were? That would put the creeps up me alright, but maybe the navy guys are made of stronger stuff than me.
I think people who go in submarines are pretty strong in the self control department. I saw Das Boot in the 1990s. I wouldn't fancy that. I watched it several times because I loved the scene where the featured submarine was crashing through the Atlantic storm on the surface. I thought it was thrilling. My sons used to protest to their mother, 'Mum ... Dad's watching that farting Germans film again. Can you stop him?'

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Re The Sweeney woman charged with making threats to kill.

I am convinced she could appeal this and win. It is more or less exactly like the case I related before, in which the defendant was first found guilty and then on appeal found not guilty.

What the Law States on Making Threats to Kill
Although the offence for making threats to kill may sound simple, there are lots of elements needing consideration when attempting to prove guilt.

Threats to kill is covered by section 16 of the Offences Against the Person Act (OAPA) 1861. It defines threats to kill as when “a person, who without lawful excuses makes to another a threat, intending that, that other would fear it would be carried out, to kill that other or a third person…”

Elements of the Threats to Kill Offence
The offence can be broken down into two aspects. Firstly, we have the mens rea (the guilty mind). This is where the individual makes a threat to another person to kill them or another. AND secondly, we have the actus reus (the guilty act). This is where the individual intends that person to fear the threat would be carried out.

For the offence to be made out, both elements must be proven by the prosecution.

It’s important to note that the alleged offender does not have to have had an intention of carrying out the threats to kill but the person who received the threat must believe that there was true intention for the threat would be happen.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Strangely - when the Roma folks rioted about three weeks ago when the social services took some allegedly neglected children into care, nothing happened. My memory seems to tell me that they burned a police car and made a lot of trouble, but I am not aware of any court proceedings about that.

Government gets very tetchy about suggestions of a two tier justice system, but what else are we seeing? Predominantly white working class riots and online remarks supporting them are hammered - other groups rioting ..... Not so much.
that does not mean the police is not working the case, only that the media lost interest after just 1 day.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nuclear fusion by 2938?
Liquid Lithium on the walls and ReBCO tape magnets.
CFS demonstrated a 20T magnet in September 2021. The UK's JET has a field strength of 13T.
Fusion efficiency is proportional to the square of field strength.

My Nissan Leaf e-car is sometimes powered directly by fusion.

For example, I charged it onthe 25th July and it informed afterwards me that I had 154 miles range available. I didn't use it then until the 31st July when I did a short run of 4 miles, after which I had 159 miles of range available, so I'd driven 4 miles using minus 9 miles of energy.

The next day 1st August I used to drive 7 more miles, after which the range left was 159 miles, so I'd driven a total of 11 miles using minus 16 miles of energy.

Several days ago I used it again, bringing my mileage since charging to 25.7 miles, after which the battery content added to the 25.7 miles totalled a range of 171 miles. So I'd driven almost 26 miles using just 9 miles worth of energy from that 154 mile range.

Today's use for 7 miles bring the distance since charging to almost 33 miles using 17 miles worth of energy.

How can that be? Well it was much cooler when I charged the battery and all that fusion heat from the sun making it much very much hotter since has greatly improved the battery's efficient use of the charge put in.

N.B. All the above without any use of the air con, lighting etc, so only use of traction consumption.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

For example, I charged it onthe 25th July and it informed afterwards me that I had 154 miles range available. I didn't use it then until the 31st July when I did a short run of 4 miles, after which I had 159 miles of range available, so I'd driven 4 miles using minus 9 miles of energy.

The next day 1st August I used to drive 7 more miles, after which the range left was 159 miles, so I'd driven a total of 11 miles using minus 16 miles of energy.

Several days ago I used it again, bringing my mileage since charging to 25.7 miles, after which the battery content added to the 25.7 miles totalled a range of 171 miles. So I'd driven almost 26 miles using just 9 miles worth of energy from that 154 mile range.

Today's use for 7 miles bring the distance since charging to almost 33 miles using 17 miles worth of energy.

How can that be? Well it was much cooler when I charged the battery and all that fusion heat from the sun making it much very much hotter since has greatly improved the battery's efficient use of the charge put in.

N.B. All the above without any use of the air con, lighting etc, so only use of traction consumption.
I knew I'd seen you before ......

• :D
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Re The Sweeney woman charged with making threats to kill.

I am convinced she could appeal this and win. It is more or less exactly like the case I related before, in which the defendant was first found guilty and then on appeal found not guilty.
Maybe, though the authorities can be very vindictive. Remember the Great Train Robbery? Until then a sentence of ten years for an armed robbery was virtually unknown, yet they got up to 30 years each for their robbery not using guns, simply because the amount involved was so large. That wasn't their fault though, according to the police evidence "The raiders managed to steal much more money than they had planned".

• Informative
Reactions: Woosh

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024
Maybe, though the authorities can be very vindictive. Remember the Great Train Robbery? Until then a sentence of ten years for an armed robbery was virtually unknown, yet they got up to 30 years each for their robbery not using guns, simply because the amount involved was so large. That wasn't their fault though, according to the police evidence "The raiders managed to steal much more money than they had planned".
Broadly true, and I don't disagree about the savage sentence, but the train driver was coshed and was never the same again. This wasn't a Robin Hood type offence.

None of that gets away from the core of the argument about the nature of so called 'exemplary' sentences. They are there to send a message and not necessarily doling out a punishment that was deserved.

Ghost1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 2, 2024

My new petrol Skoda is ALWAYS powered by nuclear fusion.

It uses the fusion power of the Sun that was stored in the earth millions of years ago by plants and bacteria using that fusion to create complex hydrocarbons. The hydrocarbons in petrol are not 'the power'; the Sun's fusion reaction provides all the power and the petrol is merely the battery-like, chemical store of the power.

So - I claim total virtue in driving it.

Incidentally, because I only use it for long trips of about forty miles or more, it has achieved a long term average fuel consumption of 59.8 miles to the gallon over its entire mileage of 3200 miles since February.

Last edited:

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023

The Chester woman was charged under Section 181 Online Safety Act 2023, sending threatening communications. She pleased guilty. This is a new act has not really been used before , and is quite wide ranging, and definitely there is a risk of it being over-used :

Sending Threatening Communications

Section 181 creates a criminal offence of sending threatening communications. A person is guilty of this offence if they:

1. send a message;
2. conveying a threat of death or serious harm (serious bodily injury, rape, assault by penetration or serious financial loss); and
3.intend (or is reckless as to whether) someone encountering the message will fear that the threat will be carried out (whether by the sender or someone else)

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

This guy tweeted this. If we don't have 2-tier policing, why hasn't he been arrested? It could be considered far more inciting violence and spreading disinformation than any of those guys arrested and charged. It was proved to be complete misinformation by the police, as you can see in the community notes.

Then you have the Jess Phillips tweet. She hasn't been arrested either.