Help! Pendleton Somerby Ebike - battery casing has disintergrated around the screws

jemimanlh

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 23, 2021
Speed bumps and some road conditions when you come across them at 15mph can be very shocking and could be the reason behind your battery case damage and the cut outs for sure.

the phantom rubbing and a short trip resulting in jelly legs however might be a different mechanical issue with the wheels and or bearings?? if upturning the bike to investigate and fix isnt feasible perhaps visit a bike repair shop and get them to check it out?

would 'ghost pedalling' the distance to lidl give you jelly legs too?? or is it the constant cut outs due to speed bumps thats giving your legs the unwanted extra work out??

A new controller upgrade could run foul of the same vibration/shock issues if ridden over the same speed bumps and roads, finding the connections that are loose and making them tight removing the shock based cut outs from your rides would be my #1 task..

the battery case should be fixed asap with epoxy and tape to stop further degradation and strain on connections.

If hitting the speed bumps at speed consider slowing down for them??

Afaik Pendleton Somerby are pretty well thought of bikes, but like anything the odd dodgy one can slip through QC
I don’t peddle over bumps, but some of them here are unavoidable to dodge.

I will look into epoxy, thank you for that tip. It’s a shame that I have no local ebike servicing that isn’t Halfords, and it doesn’t seem like I can buy a new case online and fit it myself, annoyingly.

jemimanlh

Jul 23, 2021
From my point of view considering your mobility issues, the pendleton speed controller ( though very primitive basic ) should give you a pretty easy ride as it typically provides max power all the time until thr speed limit of each PAS level is reached.
The freewheel on that bike is known to cause issues with sticking so remove the chain and check the freewheel rotation, 3 in i oil drizzled down the rear of the freewheel has helped to keep it free.
With no chain fitted spin the rear wheel and see if it freely rotates without abruptly stopping, check for any tyre rub on the stays or brakes rubbing the rim. Check the rim isn't buckled or out of true more then 1mm.
Check there is no foulong of the tyre to mudguard gap along it's length.

An upgrade to KT controller that uses current control ( torque control in chinese) is a better upgrade as one can then add a thumb throttle to aid ones peddalling which I would definately fit consideing your mobility issue.
Oh amazing, yes I’ve been looking into thumb throttle bikes and didn’t realise that it might be able to be retro fitted!

Would you recommend removing the mud guards?

jemimanlh

Jul 23, 2021
The state of the battery case makes me wonder if the battery is loosing connection when bumped about, this may be evident if the battery connections show any spark or arcing damage?? and would result in post bump cut outs,

similar issues in the past have been resolved with shims and wedges to secure a slid battery in a single position.
Honestly, this makes sense. What doesn’t make sense is how the case could get like that, bad bunch of plastic in the Pendleton factory?

jemimanlh

Jul 23, 2021
The main battery connection from controller to battery shouldn't be affected however it is worth checking the bullet connections and fractionally crimping up the female bullet to ensure a solid connection.
Like wise do the same for the three phase wire bullets Blue/Green & Yellow if used.

The cell pack within the case and the connections may need checking for any damage or loose connections to the battery pack.
Thank you!

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
What is an LBS?
Local Bike Shop.

After first testing the plastic to see if it's melted by superglue - if the plastic doesn't melt I'd be inclined to try superglue + fine grain bicarbonate of soda. It sets as a hard plastic, and although I've repaired household objects with it, I haven't tried tapping a thread... but perhaps that's possible? It can be sanded, drilled etc. into shape. Superglue + graphite (sandpaper pencil lead) looks even stronger, I haven't needed to use that yet.

Have acetone handy, to dissolve it off your fingers. The combination is the strongest glue I've ever used. Sets very fast.

Last edited:

jemimanlh

Jul 23, 2021
Local Bike Shop.

After first testing the plastic to see if it's melted by superglue - if the plastic doesn't melt I'd be inclined to try superglue + fine grain bicarbonate of soda. It sets as a hard plastic, and although I've repaired household objects with it, I haven't tried tapping a thread... but perhaps that's possible? It can be sanded, drilled etc. into shape. Superglue + graphite (sandpaper pencil lead) looks even stronger, I haven't needed to use that yet.

Have acetone handy, to dissolve it off your fingers. The combination is the strongest glue I've ever used. Sets very fast.
Oh fantastic, thank you!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one wants a truly legal throttle ebike then opt for a Wisper bike, main outlet headquarters is in Sevenoaks ,Kent. However there are many Wisper dealers dotted around the UK.
Wisper are the only 250w bike which can have a legal authourised throttle approved via the DOT if one specifies one with a new bike.

Again one should test ride one esp a hub bike , Bromley isn't too far from Sevenoaks they are having a bike festival later this summer so one can test ride their bikes.
Sept 21st at the Vine Gardens, Sevenoaks.
www.sevenoaksbikefestival.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Neal,

We have a good show lined up.

We have a small test track (250m) and kids balance bike track.

Sustrans will be there to show the new "Route Vert" route: London - Newhaven to join the Diepe - Paris section.

Exhibitors
Kent PoliceWispereBikes Direct
ETA Bike Insurance/road side asistScottEnergise eBikes
Sevenaoks Climate ActionRaleighSevenoaks Bike Warehouse
Veteran Cycle Club (Antique bikes)OrbeaMiRider
1950 bike worksop displayTernLAZER Helmets
Sevenoaks Tri ClubMoustacheCryponite Locks
Meridian Cycle ClubIce Bike E-RecumbentsCountry Hire and Go (Bike Hire)
Cycle LewesTenwaysBike Register (Bike security)
Back Pedal Bike GPS Tracking and RecoveryGoCycleRye Bay Bikes (Kent Vineyard Tours)

And others...

It will be a great day and it's FREE!

Saturday 21st September 2024. The Vine Gardens Sevenoaks. 10.00 -16.00

Click on image below for details...

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
You are welcome David , I don't mind plugging Wisper or even Woosh as both you guys are top forum sponsors and we all know of the good CS both give.
Would be nice to see Tony and the Woosh team also attending maybe next year ?
Sadly I'm unable to be there as I have previously mentioned , but next year would love to attend . I would even possibly cycle to Sevenoaks if I can route a safe journey.

jemimanlh

Jul 23, 2021
If one wants a truly legal throttle ebike then opt for a Wisper bike, main outlet headquarters is in Sevenoaks ,Kent. However there are many Wisper dealers dotted around the UK.
Wisper are the only 250w bike which can have a legal authourised throttle approved via the DOT if one specifies one with a new bike.

Again one should test ride one esp a hub bike , Bromley isn't too far from Sevenoaks they are having a bike festival later this summer so one can test ride their bikes.
Sept 21st at the Vine Gardens, Sevenoaks.
www.sevenoaksbikefestival.com
Amazing thank you

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I should rephrase and say Wisper aren't the only legal 250w ebike that can have a throttle but rather they are the only UK 250w/EAPC brand that offer the legal throttle route via certification.
Other brands can offer the same service but afaik , no one else does.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes