PASS Wiring question

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Red is always 5v, and it has to connect to the other red. Black is always ground. If the other connector has black, you connect black to black. The only problem is when the pedal sensor is red, blue and yellow. If you get those colours on a brake connector, yellow is ground and blue signal, but on pedal sensors, it's normally, but not always, the other way round with blue ground and yellow signal. If you have those colours start with black to blue, and if that doesn't work, connect black to yellow.

Check with a meter to see if the signal wire is pulsing, don't rely on the motor going because there could be other problems.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Well my pedal assist sensor wires are i guess if see the photo are orange black and blue,but I'm guessing that the orange will connect to red and black to black and blue to the whites hopefully I'm correct.

Attachments

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Red is always 5v, and it has to connect to the other red. Black is always ground. If the other connector has black, you connect black to black. The only problem is when the pedal sensor is red, blue and yellow. If you get those colours on a brake connector, yellow is ground and blue signal, but on pedal sensors, it's normally, but not always, the other way round with blue ground and yellow signal. If you have those colours start with black to blue, and if that doesn't work, connect black to yellow.

Check with a meter to see if the signal wire is pulsing, don't rely on the motor going because there could be other problems.
My pedal sensor wires are red black and blue I have no yellow wires ,the connector from the controller for PAS are red black and white .

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Well my pedal assist sensor wires are i guess if see the photo are orange black and blue,but I'm guessing that the orange will connect to red and black to black and blue to the whites hopefully I'm correct.
Don't guess. Use a meter. You set it to continuity to check which is ground. Put one probe on the battery black wire, then whichever one beeps or shows zero resistance is the ground. Keep the one probe on the battery black, set your meter to 20v DC, switch on the controller, then check which is 5v.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Don't guess. Use a meter. You set it to continuity to check which is ground. Put one probe on the battery black wire, then whichever one beeps or shows zero resistance is the ground. Keep the one probe on the battery black, set your meter to 20v DC, switch on the controller, then check which is 5v.
Do you mean battery black connection on the controller

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Red to red , black to black & white to blue is the logical connection.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
Well it won't work the pedal assist sensor light is solid red ,on the pictures I have from my pedal assist connection orange to white ,black to black and red to blue .
No errors on the 500c display 6km walking mode works but I just can't get the pedal assist to work ,any thoughts much appreciated
Is it my pedal assist sensor do I need a special one for this controller this is making me nuts ,one more thing I accidentally had the three wires together and my bike moved not sure what happened there
Please look at the picture and please someone let me know where I'm going wrong .

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Connect White to Blue & Red to Or.

A solid led indicates one has the 5V wired to the signal.

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
That's the problem when I put black to black and red to blue I get the red light,so I tried to figure out which was 5v so I took out red and the light went out I put back and took out the black the light went out the red light only works when I have red and black connected to the pedal assist connector from my bike.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one has the correct 5v to 5v the led won't be solid , it flickers on /off via the signal wire .
Blue must be signal so connect it to white signal .
One can test the connection by poking the meter probes up the back of the connector, if you have Signal and 5v wires connected correctly you will see the meter voltage switching from 1v - 15v when the PAS is operated by probing Signal against Gnd .
5v is just the operating voltage of the Hall and the Signal is the on/ off voltage that produces the on/off pulses needed.

Unless Bafang have done something really weird then Black for Gnd is a constant on nearly all systems.
Blue is sometime used as voltage but more often as return voltage for a display.

There are only two sets of wires to get mixed up red to blue & or to white. If they don't work reverse the sequence.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

manman94

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
Netherlands
I have a red black and white wire coming from the Bafang controller.
I have a orange black and blue wires coming from my pedal assist.
When I put red with blue and black with black I get the solid red light .

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a red black and white wire coming from the Bafang controller.
I have a orange black and blue wires coming from my pedal assist.
When I put red with blue and black with black I get the solid red light .
Which means it is wrong.
One needs to understand that one shouldn't see or have a solid red led on the PAS showing , if one does then it means the wire sequence of Signal and 5V are incorrect or one is connecte dup to the wrong controller output connector.
Just because the PAS is prewired , it doesn't mean that the sequence is correct.
Like wise the connection from the controller could be wrong on the Bafang website.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Provide a link to the Bafang controller for us to look at all the wiring sequencing.