Help! Need a compatible controller

John Blower

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2024
Just been given a basis thrasher e-bike, not working, but keen to get working, need to find a controller as I believe this is the issue, any clues anyone, regards John

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
It’s not good but it does come on with battery fitted, I presumed the controller as the bike was left out under a tarpaulin and got water into it. Would the display also stop the bike running properly? Any help would be appreciated, cheers John

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
One will need to carry out various tests/fault finding to find an issue.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Connect everything up and apply the walk assist , if that works then the controller and lcd are fine.
If not then one needs to apply fault finding.
One thing at a time.
Mosfet test next if walk assist doesn't work.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Have managed to ride the bike and nothing happened, what is the walk test? Also what is mosfet? Thanks for your help

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Most bikes have a walk assist function that gives you 3or4 mph to assist when you are pushing the bike, say over rough ground or in a pedestrian area.
It's normally operated by holding down the down button.
Mosfets are the six 3 legged semiconductors you can see in your controller picture. They are essentially switches that provide the timed pulses of power to the motor.

Reactions: Woosh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Use the search area of the forum for mosfet testing , their will be many entries posted by myself and saneagle .
If one of the mosfets is shorted the oine has found why the bike doesn't work.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Just put it back together, a P comes on the display but still nothing happening with the motor, may just put it on as spares and repair. As you mentioned the display does not look very good, showing battery not charged and flashing motor symbol. Is there anything else I could do, not very proficient on these e-bikes, let me know your thoughts and thanks for your help so far.
Also there is a cable from the display going to the left hand brake and another round plug just hanging around, sorry for all the questions, regards John.

e-bikes5868058681

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I think it's an S830 LCD that you can get from Amazon for £30 and probably cheaper from Aliexpress. Is there a number top right under the tape or on the back?

The other connector could be for the other brake or or throttle.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks would the new display hopefully sort out the problem? Should the bike have a throttle, thanks again for the help

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks would the new display hopefully sort out the problem? Should the bike have a throttle, thanks again for the help
Throttles are not legal, which is why it might have been removed. You need to show photos of these connectors and the wires so that I can see where they go if you want to be sure.

Also, if you have open connectors hanging in the rain, you can get all sorts of problems, so they should be taped up. Are they dry now?

There are different versions of those LCDs, with different wires and connectors, so make sure you get the right one. You have to go by the pictures.

Lastly, there's always the possibility that there's different software in those Amazon LCDs because some are made for specific bikes with specific settings, which means that it might not work. Maybe 20% chance of it not working. We normally buy the LCD with the controller to avoid that problem, but that means that you often have to do a bit of wiring and soldering to make wires and connectors match.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Is the display the issue in your opinion, all the ones I have seen are with a female green connector, I have found something similar with a male connector which is what I need, will this be okay for the bike that I have? Regards John

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Your LCD is dismantleable. I think it would be wort taking it apart and looking inside for signs of water ingress or any pulled wires.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks again did strip it down, didn’t see anything major but remember the front top being taped up, here are some pictures, and maybe worth a risk to see if this fixes all the other issues, thanks again for all your help.

Attachments

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
something appears to have been ripped off taking the solder pad with it labelled D0 next to other wire connections..