Help! Need a compatible controller

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks again did strip it down, didn’t see anything major but remember the front top being taped up, here are some pictures, and maybe worth a risk to see if this fixes all the other issues, thanks again for all your help.
Are you eyes that bad that you can't see that the third photo is completely blurred? What are we supposed to do with it?

John Blower

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 11, 2024
Thanks again didn’t realise that picture was so bad, it’s just a picture of the display in one piece, not that I have had much help with my question re the display causing my issues? Is there anyone on this forum who could point me in the right direction please.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Thanks again didn’t realise that picture was so bad, it’s just a picture of the display in one piece, not that I have had much help with my question re the display causing my issues? Is there anyone on this forum who could point me in the right direction please.
You already have the best fault analyst and remedy repository probably available on the site on your case (not me).... its a process, and the info your providing is limited at best.. tho im no photographer either ;) since the display will invariably hold the settings applied by yourself and provide these to the controller box on system startup, if it has an issue it can throw a proverbial spanner in the works from the get go..

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks for your help, I will get a new display and try, sorry I don’t know much about these e-bikes, but I am learning all the time, enjoy your week and thanks again

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Hello again managed to source a new display, but only stays on for about 30 seconds, do I need any special instructions for setting up? Or is there another issue, the motor kicks in when I turn the pedal, any help will be appreciated, regards John

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Hello again managed to source a new display, but only stays on for about 30 seconds, do I need any special instructions for setting up? Or is there another issue, the motor kicks in when I turn the pedal, any help will be appreciated, regards John
Do you know which version you have, CAN or UART?

the next thing to figure out is whether it's the battery that shuts it off or whether it shutting itself off. You need to put a voltmeter on the battery to see what happens to the voltage when the LCD shuts down. If it holds steady, it's the LCD. If it collapses, it's the battery.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Do you know which version you have, CAN or UART?

the next thing to figure out is whether it's the battery that shuts it off or whether it shutting itself off. You need to put a voltmeter on the battery to see what happens to the voltage when the LCD shuts down. If it holds steady, it's the LCD. If it collapses, it's the battery.
do not understand CAN or UART?
I have to unplug it to get the screen back on, then it shows all the symbols then goes to just the mph/img screen, I think I need some code, will try the battery voltage, but it does come back on every time I re plug it in? Cheers John

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
CAN and UART are two different communication protocols. The controller needs the same one as the LCD, like people talking in different languages and they can't understand each other.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Thanks should the display suppliers know what their item is, either CAN or UART, or can I easily find out this information, kind regards John.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks should the display suppliers know what their item is, either CAN or UART, or can I easily find out this information, kind regards John.
It depends on the seller. Some mention it in the listing. Some haven't a clue what they're selling, and everything in between.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Just found that the new display is showing an error code 30H which means a communication error, obviously the wrong display for the bike, any ideas I will post pictures showing the old display and the new one, maybe just give up and scrap the bike, here are the pictures

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Just found that the new display is showing an error code 30H which means a communication error, obviously the wrong display for the bike,
Not necessarily; however communication error is difficult to track doen because of it can have many causes. Things to check are the main cable from the controller damaged or squished by cable-ties. Check that you have 5v on any connector that you can get to that should have it: motor halls, throttle, PAS or brake. Your symptoms keep changing, so it must be an intermittent connection or short somewhere.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
Not necessarily; however communication error is difficult to track doen because of it can have many causes. Things to check are the main cable from the controller damaged or squished by cable-ties. Check that you have 5v on any connector that you can get to that should have it: motor halls, throttle, PAS or brake. Your symptoms keep changing, so it must be an intermittent connection or short somewhere.
Confused as someone else mentioned that it could be be how it communicates CAN or UART, so could this display be compatible? Thanks for your time with this

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Confused as someone else mentioned that it could be be how it communicates CAN or UART, so could this display be compatible? Thanks for your time with this
It might be, but you can't test that, so eliminate everything else first. You could also look at the battery connector. If it only has 2 wires, it's unlikely that you have CAN.

John Blower

Jul 11, 2024
It might be, but you can't test that, so eliminate everything else first. You could also look at the battery connector. If it only has 2 wires, it's unlikely that you have CAN.
Thanks again checked all cables and connections and all seem to be okay, couldn’t find a connection with 5 volts on, should I be looking for a UART display? Thanks again for your help

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Thanks again checked all cables and connections and all seem to be okay, couldn’t find a connection with 5 volts on, should I be looking for a UART display? Thanks again for your help
Did you check the number of wires on the battery connector?