My current 20" folding bike short list for next conversion...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
I've made lists before I know and been putting this project off for months, but now I have a pressing need with my osteoarthritis...I absolutely need a smaller lighter bike, so I'm determined to get a bike asap...

Here's my current candidates...in no particular order..

Dahon Mu Uno
HTML:
<strike>]Dahon</strike>
Dahon JetStream P8
Raleigh Access
Oyama St James
Mini (BMW)

I don't want to send more than £450 (ideally £350-ish...) most of these bikes come within budget (with a couple of second hand bargains I'm lookin at)..

My main aim with this conversion is to get a bike as light as possible, and one that has a chain guard and rear carrier would be a bonus...

The Dahon Mu Uno wins hands down on being the lightest (9.9kg), but the other bikes are all fairly light around 11.5kg and could be made lighter still, once I've stripped off the gears - single speed is fine for me I think.

The Raleigh Access ticks all the right boxes (11.4kg, rear rack, mudguards, and is £350) so is a good economical choice, as is the Oyama St James (with its 3-speed hub gears and chain guard), except they don't have the cool wow factor of the Dahon models..(I rather like the white frame and black handle bar/seat stem look!)

If anyone has any experience of these bikes or can see any reason why they wouldn't make good conversion candidates let me know.. I'm planning to do a rear wheel conversion probably (250W 36v), 10Ah battery to be stored in rear panniers or possibly handlebar bag.

The one bike I would love to get and add to my list is the Downtube 9FS, but they're now only available in the States as far as know, and although cheap bikes, shipping is extraordinarily expensive to UK!

Finally, one bike I am considering is one of the ready-built 8Fun 20" folding bikes sold by "ecosmobike" on eBay...these are budget bikes from China but look ok..I would probably remove the kit off it though and replace with my own, if I did buy one..it would be purely for the bike.

Thoughts/suggestions? :D

Please, no Brompton suggestions! It's not a bike I like, even if I could afford one ;-)

Last edited:

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
same position as you. just brought tern link d8 from evans on offer at 425. Buying kit from elfei and sharing battery with other bike that has elfei bpm kit. kit is great. two broken spokes has been only fault in 2500 miles all weather commute and they were through abuse.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
same position as you. just brought tern link d8 from evans on offer at 425. Buying kit from elfei and sharing battery with other bike that has elfei bpm kit. kit is great. two broken spokes has been only fault in 2500 miles all weather commute and they were through abuse.
Really nice looking fashionable bike! Think I'll add it to my list! Little bit heavy at 12.1kg tho compared to those on my list... if the battery can be removed easily might not be too much trouble, what's an extra kg!

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
dahon global split from dahon to form tern. The hinges are better on the tern than the dahons. i see the tern uno is going at 425 as well. you would love the weight of the x10 but over budget. v light bike though ...

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
aflie first questions about your tern link d8... does it ride nicely, what's your impressions of the bike and build quality? how tall are you, and how much do you weigh, if you don't mind me asking?

Have you always rode 20" or downsized from a bigger wheeled bike...if from bigger wheeled, did it take some getting used to, or did you find it ok and enjoy riding with 20" wheels?

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
dahon global split from dahon to form tern. The hinges are better on the tern than the dahons. i see the tern uno is going at 425 as well. you would love the weight of the x10 but over budget. v light bike though ...
That's interesting I didn't know that.. I thought the designs looked a bit Dahon-ish.. from what I remember reading about the split, the Dahon guy got the designs/patents, and his mrs got the name and assets eh. What a strange arrangement!

Those prices are very keen compared to the Dahon branded bikes... I guess he's trying to re-establish brand recognition and trust in the industry or maybe steal all the market from his ex-wife ;-)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

I converted a Jetsream P8 and a while ago I got a cheapo Chinese folder, just to see how it compared. There's absolutely no comparison. The Jetstream rides like a road bike apart from the twitchy handling. It's really fast even without power. It almost pedals itself. I guess the other quality folding bikes are good too. Add a rear 24v Q100 kit from BMSbattery or Greenbikekit.com (same but cheaper shipping?), a pair of Zippy 8000maH lipos in a frog case, and solder the shunt in the controller for 17amps = ebiking nirvana: smooth, quiet, 23mph without pedalling and good hill-climbing. I've had some fantastic moments overtaking the lycra boys. They don't stand a chance.

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
i'll tell you what its like when i get it! ordered it yesterday. my current bike is a bpm powered mountain bike. i have it set up with two sets of handlebars. one set gives me nice low position for speed and control. other set is north road sit up and beg position. great for sunday riding with wife. I have some experience with 20" because wife has 8fun folder. love this bike and its lazy relaxed style. v comfortable and perfect for pootling. her bike is no good for folding though. ok for car but not tram which i will be using it for. plan is to use new bike for relaxed pootle across town and then tram. my commute at moment is so much fun but v dangerous. i guess the two are related. i am 5,11 and wifes bike fits ok with seat and handlebars raised.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's interesting I didn't know that.. I thought the designs looked a bit Dahon-ish.. from what I remember reading about the split, the Dahon guy got the designs/patents, and his mrs got the name and assets eh. What a strange arrangement!

Those prices are very keen compared to the Dahon branded bikes... I guess he's trying to re-establish brand recognition and trust in the industry or maybe steal all the market from his ex-wife ;-)
A family firm, it was a family dispute about the direction that Dahon should take. Son Joshua Hon disagreed with his father and was backed by his mother in that. The outcome is that father Dr David Hon keeps Dahon while son Joshua and mother Florence have set up Tern. The bitterness continues with the father bringing legal actions against his wife and son for design and patent infringements.

A very sad way for a family to end up.

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
I converted a Jetsream P8 and a while ago I got a cheapo Chinese folder, just to see how it compared. There's absolutely no comparison. The Jetstream rides like a road bike apart from the twitchy handling. It's really fast even without power. It almost pedals itself. I guess the other quality folding bikes are good too. Add a rear 24v Q100 kit from BMSbattery or Greenbikekit.com (same but cheaper shipping?), a pair of Zippy 8000maH lipos in a frog case, and solder the shunt in the controller for 17amps = ebiking nirvana: smooth, quiet, 23mph without pedalling and good hill-climbing. I've had some fantastic moments overtaking the lycra boys. They don't stand a chance.
i notice you like your electric full sussers. the jetstream conversion looks a great idea. dont tell me you got the bike on sale at £400 ... i did look at it yesterday but cheapest could get it for was 700 plus.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
A family firm, it was a family dispute about the direction that Dahon should take. Son Joshua Hon disagreed with his father and was backed by his mother in that. The outcome is that father Dr David Hon keeps Dahon while son Joshua and mother Florence have set up Tern. The bitterness continues with the father bringing legal actions against his wife and son for design and patent infringements.

A very sad way for a family to end up.
Looks like I got it the wrong way round ;-)

D

Deleted member 4366

i notice you like your electric full sussers. the jetstream conversion looks a great idea. dont tell me you got the bike on sale at £400 ... i did look at it yesterday but cheapest could get it for was 700 plus.
After someone on this forum pointed it out, I got it in Evans sale for £599. Bargain!

You're right about how I like full suspensioon because most of my journeys are quite long. They make a huge difference in comfort, and when electrified, there's no downside to having it.

I just got my next one for my next project to take my total to six. It's real quality: Reba forks, Fox Flooat rear, Shimano XT hollowtech crank and XT hydraulic brakes. Shame the flat-spoke wheels will have to go. This one will be a bit different. Watch this space. Conversion parts should arrive next week.

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
Add a rear 24v Q100 kit from BMSbattery or Greenbikekit.com (same but cheaper shipping?), a pair of Zippy 8000maH lipos in a frog case, and solder the shunt in the controller for 17amps = ebiking nirvana: smooth, quiet, 23mph without pedalling and good hill-climbing. I've had some fantastic moments overtaking the lycra boys. They don't stand a chance.[/QUOTE]

I'm going for a little lie down - I didn't understand a word of that! Well, 'fantastic moments' maybe but my memory is fading ... Nurse! Tablets, please!
Whatever evolves, Happy eBiking!
Tom

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
After someone on this forum pointed it out, I got it in Evans sale for £599. Bargain!

You're right about how I like full suspensioon because most of my journeys are quite long. They make a huge difference in comfort, and when electrified, there's no downside to having it.

I just got my next one for my next project to take my total to six. It's real quality: Reba forks, Fox Flooat rear, Shimano XT hollowtech crank and XT hydraulic brakes. Shame the flat-spoke wheels will have to go. This one will be a bit different. Watch this space. Conversion parts should arrive next week.

Buuuaaaaahhhahhhah! That's a nice bike! What's the weight and how much is it?

If only I had room where I live, I'd get a full suspension bike like this one with a big fat motor. Or a super nice road bike with a small friction drive.

Please don't use a ladies/whimpies motor on it. No Cute100 or Cute128, these one are not powerful enough for this bike :cool:

Looking forward to see this conversion :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Please don't use a ladies/whimpies motor on it. No Cute100 or Cute128, these one are not powerful enough for this bike :cool:
:rolleyes:

I had a Dahon JetStream P8 briefly which I wanted to put a narrow motor in the front forks. However the profile of the forks meant I could not even fit a narrow 80mm into the forks. This means you have to fit a rear motor. I picked mine up as new/unused on ebay for £450

Here is the latest listing on ebay

On smaller wheeled bikes I like suspension on the rear as a minimum and prefably on the front as well. But as so often a case for smaller wheeled bikes it comes down to compromise i.e. size, fold and portability.

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
:rolleyes:

I had a Dahon JetStream P8 briefly which I wanted to put a narrow motor in the front forks. However the profile of the forks meant I could not even fit a narrow 80mm into the forks. This means you have to fit a rear motor. I picked mine up as new/unused on ebay for £450

Here is the latest listing on ebay

On smaller wheeled bikes I like suspension on the rear as a minimum and prefably on the front as well. But as so often a case for smaller wheeled bikes it comes down to compromise i.e. size, fold and portability.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry that's something I've been pondering over, suspension, having never ridden 20" before and heard that you feel the road/potholes more etc..that's why I mentioned the Downtube full suspension bike appealling to me and being so affordable at $500..just a shame about the high shipping and lack of UK distributors...

I guess there is a trade off as you say, how portable you want the bike to be, versus riding comfort. I've seen people say that fitting the big apple tyres can compensate somewhat for lack of suspension.. For me, I'd like to try and find some balance.. Ideally I'd like a bike that's light and easy to carry up stairs and maybe take onto a train once in a while..but comfort is important too..whether a comfortable padded & sprung saddle and big apple tyres will be enough, I don't know.. my 26" bike feels fine without suspension with my decent gel padded sprung saddle, even with thin road tyres.

There are some good deals on eBay for the Jetstream and that is most definitely where I'd buy one (not from new, waay too expensive). I'm a bit nervous about buying second-hand still though, even at those prices, it's a hefty price for a bike I haven't even seen!

D

Deleted member 4366

Buuuaaaaahhhahhhah! That's a nice bike! What's the weight and how much is it?

Looking forward to see this conversion :)
£380, but I had to drive a long way to get it.

Sorry, I might have to use one of those ladies motors, but are you sure they're not powerful enough?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
£380, but I had to drive a long way to get it.

Sorry, I might have to use one of those ladies motors, but are you sure they're not powerful enough?
That's a very good price.

I said that because I wanted to do wheelies with my brompton. So I purchased a Mac 8T with a 12 Fet controller. But at 2000+W acceleration it barely does a mini-wheelie.

I was thinking that for a double suspension montain bike you would like to do wheelies too lol.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
6! D8, how do you find the time to ride them! BTW good to see you posting again.