My current 20" folding bike short list for next conversion...

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks Jerry that's something I've been pondering over, suspension, having never ridden 20" before and heard that you feel the road/potholes more etc..that's why I mentioned the Downtube full suspension bike appealling to me and being so affordable at $500..just a shame about the high shipping and lack of UK distributors...

I guess there is a trade off as you say, how portable you want the bike to be, versus riding comfort. I've seen people say that fitting the big apple tyres can compensate somewhat for lack of suspension.. For me, I'd like to try and find some balance.. Ideally I'd like a bike that's light and easy to carry up stairs and maybe take onto a train once in a while..but comfort is important too..whether a comfortable padded & sprung saddle and big apple tyres will be enough, I don't know.. my 26" bike feels fine without suspension with my decent gel padded sprung saddle, even with thin road tyres.

There are some good deals on eBay for the Jetstream and that is most definitely where I'd buy one (not from new, waay too expensive). I'm a bit nervous about buying second-hand still though, even at those prices, it's a hefty price for a bike I haven't even seen!

My MTB originally had a jarring ride. It was worse than I remembered my old steel road bikes to be and it has suspension forks. I put it down to the aluminium frame. The 8fun 20" bike has a lovely ride quality. very comfortable to ride and it also has an aluminium frame. It has however got a fat sprung saddle and steel forks.

I cured the MTB with a suntour parallelogram seat post and brooks flyer saddle. Now it also has a really nice ride quality. It took some time for my posterior to become inprinted eith the brooks shape but now its great! the parallelogram bit is important because I originally had a poste moderne bracer seat post, but on long rides my knees would become sore due to the distance altering beween seat and pedal. to be fair I think that a b17 saddle would be lighter and the flyer springs are so thick they dont do anything!

Here is some of my wiseacring about which bike to get.

Brompton: Problem would be that the 16" front wheels you get from BMS battery would not be the right one. It hadn't occured to me that there were different siizes for 16" wheels. Wont discount. (That is you cant buy it cheap not that I still want one!)

Mezzo. Forget to unfold it properly and front wheel drops out while riding.

Dahon Mu XL sports 2009 (£500 was £900) on line. Rear hub gears and front forks are aluminium. Dont trust front motors in aluminium forks.

Jango T8 (£480 on line with free accessories was £800) badly executed suspension. pedal bob. Like the quick fold however and the bms battery rear 16" should fit.

Dahon Jetstream. Couldn't find one discounted enough.

The reason I went for the tern d8 was because it was the cheapest model with the N fold technology frame. This allegedly gives the similar rigidity as a normal frame. Plus it has steel front forks so a front hub motor could be fitted. (I will be fitting a rear hub however.) I like 8 gears as well because the nine and ten speeds have thinner chains. Dont you hate marketing?

Someones going to say its ok to fit front hubs to aluminium forks. All swans are white!

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Ok guys, I think I bagged myself a decent 2nd hand JetStream P8, pending collecton details to sort out on Monday.. I've been umming and ahhing over my list so just decided to take a gamble with the P8 and see what occurrs. I can always sell it on if it's not the bike for me. It's not white and black like I wanted, but it's full suspension and looks cool as....so that compensates :)

The only thing I need to check now is rear wheel conversion. I don't see it being a problem, but does anyone have any knowledge or thoughts on this? Will the frame handle 36W 250W?

Many would say go for front wheel and leave the gears alone, but I don't mind downgrading the gears to 6 or even just removing them alltogether to reduce weight...i don't plan on riding it unpowered, so why do I even need gears!

Last thing is weight..the P8 weighs in at 12kg so its not the lightest bike :-/ but maybe its worth the extra 1-2kg for the comfort factor.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Just spotted this (Italian) Dahon JetStream P8 conversion on YouTube, so clearly it can be done..looks not bad job either..500W tho tut tut!

[video=youtube_share;QnwRnmdmOTY]http://youtu.be/QnwRnmdmOTY[/video]

Warning: hit the mute button, very annoying background music all the way thru.

And here's a pic of one someone converted...

jetstreamp8electric.jpg

alfie

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2011
On the MTB I had to file some paint from the 135mm dropouts. The motor(with 8 speed freewheel) fitted with the dropouts having to be very slightly moved apart. I also fitted 2 torque arms. Ebike solutions from Germany has a nice selection. Mine mated directly against the angled sides of the dropouts and didn't need securing with p clips. On removal of the wheel they were jammed against the frame sides and so were actually being used and working.

I am only going to fit one arm to my latest project which will have a lower powered 8fun motor.

Your bike looks a nice quality bit of kit. d8veh seems to have thrashed his so should be reliable as well!

I have a spare fat saddle that I will fit to the tern before moving to another parallellogram seat post and brooks.

I am hoping that the tern folds reliably so that it will prove to be an alternative and half price alternative to the ubiquitous Brompton. Otherwise its back to the full ex-hill-er-eating commute and pootling on the tern with the wife at weekends.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Bad news..I lost my Jetstream to a slighter better offer by delaying paying for it due to concerns over getting it collected and insurance with couriers.. ******. Oh well. Back to the list. Could be a while before another new model JetStream comes onto the market in such good condition again.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Have you ridden any of these bikes ? I have spent nearly three years searching out the perfect portable ebike and for me its still a Brompton with a small front hub motor.

For me the perfect portable bike would be the Brompton with suspension both ends with either with 16" or 20" wheels though the 16" wheels would keep it small. Does not exist :(

The alternative as you have pointed out is to maybe use big apple tyres on a fixed/no suspension 20" bike. The Uno comes close to this. How many gears do you want ? Are you happy with a front wheel motor/keeping legal ?

The Jetstream would probably be best for longer rides (the Brompton IMHO would be better for short city commuting) though you are restricted to rear hub motors and its not really super portable in terms of carrying it in and out of shops etc.

I guess it really depends how portable you want it to be and how far you are riding.

PS With the Dahon bikes (JetStream or Uno) make sure you get one with the welded lug on the front steerer tube (not all Dahons especially second hand and even some new ones seem to have this) as you can then carry stuff on the front which IMHO is much better than on a back rack. You can put luggage on the the front bars but it then all turns with the handle bars which is less than ideal. The welded lug is fixed to the frame and independent of the steering same as the Brompton. Any E conversion can then also be incorporated with an umbilical connector into the bag up front keeping the bike carry weight to a minimum .

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For me the perfect portable bike would be the Brompton with suspension both ends with either with 16" or 20" wheels though the 16" wheels would keep it small. Does not exist :(
One member has a Pantour sprung hub in his Brompton front wheel, remarkably effective but at £250 a bit expensive. Still, it does make a fully suspended Brompton possible, though only with a rear hub motor for an "e" version.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes good point I have seen that Flecc, but as you say that then ties up the the front for a lightweight front hub motor.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Have you ridden any of these bikes ? I have spent nearly three years searching out the perfect portable ebike and for me its still a Brompton with a small front hub motor.
I'd never ridden *any* 20" bike..the funny thing is, although I take ages to decide which bike to purchase (just because there are so many), the quality of the ride doesn't rank that high on my list, as I take the view it's nothing that a comfortable saddle and some decent handlebar grips won't fix. I'm more interested in the look of the bike, how small it folds, and it's weight than anything else. I don't even look at the components and whether it's well made like I know many here do. Saying that, I don't have much experience with bikes really I wouldn't put myself into the cycling enthusiast class.. before I bought my 26" folder to convert (a cheapo chinese one to get my feet wet) I had only ever ridden an ordinary 26" MTB and prior to that a Raleigh Chopper up until the age of 12 which was a dream to ride and quite a shock riding a MTB after fond memories of that Chopper!

Although I'm not a fan of the Brompton's I have to agree, nothing seems to even come close to them for portability and folding size..they definitely are the ultimate commuting bike it seems. I wonder would the size class as luggage on National Express Euroline? They have tighter size restrictions on those coaches than the UK which will accept almost any folding 20" bike.. Euroline is 70x30x45.

It's a wonder Brompton haven't bought out a full suspension model it surely wouldn't be that difficult to do and some owners might be willing to compromise a bit for that benefit?

The alternative as you have pointed out is to maybe use big apple tyres on a fixed/no suspension 20" bike. The Uno comes close to this. How many gears do you want ? Are you happy with a front wheel motor/keeping legal ?
It's unlikely I will be riding any bike unpowered now any great distance due to my bad knee.. I very rarely rode my 26" unpowered..if I wanted to get some exercise and put more effort in I just rode it on lower power levels on pedal assist... I used my bike mostly for work rather than pleasure and was always in a rush to get somewhere so kept it highly geared and on full power..

I guess it depends how you use the bike as to whether you need gears and how many... If you want a purely electric bike that you wont ride unpowered what's the point of having gears at all? Unless of course it breaks down and you have to pedal it home ;-) In that case I'd just slip the chain up higher by hand on my 26" as it was too highly geared to ride unpowered from a standing start and the shift was limited to 5-6...only happened to me once when a 5Ah battery got maxed out.

The Jetstream would probably be best for longer rides (the Brompton IMHO would be better for short city commuting) though you are restricted to rear hub motors and its not really super portable in terms of carrying it in and out of shops etc.

I guess it really depends how portable you want it to be and how far you are riding.
Yes, indeed..that's a good question..I don't mind about the rear motor limitation, in fact I think I'd prefer it after having a front wheel..it looks neater and less conspicuous, some say it's less noisy.

As to the distance question and how portable... well my main concern is the stairs to my flat and actually storing it in my flat which has hardly any space as it doubles as a warehouse ;-).. as you can imagine with a 26" the 2 flights of stairs are a nightmare.. and t's always getting in the way in the hallway where I keep it and falling over. I haven't yet sorted out a cupboard for it, it will fit in there but just means shelving it and moving things around a bit to maximise space.. I think with a 20" folder, almost anything would be an improvement on that for navigating the narrow stairway and storing it in my hallway! I don't really see myself going on long journeys on trains or coaches with it, but it would be nice to have that option I guess.

PS With the Dahon bikes (JetStream or Uno) make sure you get one with the welded lug on the front steerer tube (not all Dahons especially second hand and even some new ones seem to have this) as you can then carry stuff on the front which IMHO is much better than on a back rack. You can put luggage on the the front bars but it then all turns with the handle bars which is less than ideal. The welded lug is fixed to the frame and independent of the steering same as the Brompton. Any E conversion can then also be incorporated with an umbilical connector into the bag up front keeping the bike carry weight to a minimum .
Interesting! Thanks for the tip I'll look out for that. I think d8veh has persuaded me though from his conversion that mounting my kit on the back under the seat makes more sense than my present handlebar approach with a rear motor, but what you say here offers a third possibility. I'm still undecided really about rear v front.. it's entirely possible I may ride the bike unpowered and like the feel of it with the gears and find my knee is ok, and then go for a small cute motor on the front that doesn't stand out too much.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
For me now I think the question comes down to full suspension v no suspension and super lightweight. And there aren't really any choices for full suspension 20" bikes in UK that come into my budget £400-£450 is there? There's only the Jetstream (2nd hand) that I know of. For lightweight options, there's more choice, but still somewhat limited at this budget.. the Uno is the lightest at 10kg (and some good deals on it at the moment, I've seen it selling new for £380), and then there's a whole range of new bikes all around 11-12kg within budget. Someone suggested to me last year when I was considering a 20" build even before my arthritis developed.. that I buy a Dahon Speed Pro TT Frame for 100 quid and have a go at building a bike up from scratch to my requirements. An intriguing idea! That makes a lot of sense if I don't need gears, but it may be beyond my limited abilities ;-) Plus it means having a bright yellow bike!! The frames are sold out now anyway and I don't know if they will be getting anymore, probably unlikely.

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
There's a BMW Mini folder I've spotted on eBay (ex-demo) I'm tempted to try and buy cheap..it's one of the lighter 20" bikes at 11kg..it might be fun to try it out and get a feel for a 20" bike... I might be able to get it for £250-£270 or thereabouts..the price has been slipping on those I noticed as they don't seem to be selling well... down to below £450 now new from £500. That was never going to be a big seller though going through the BMW dealership and not mainstream bike stores? I know some people have slated that bike here and said it's over priced and you're paying for the brand.. but it looks a decent bike to me.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
A comprehensive reply which makes your requirements clear.

If you just want a smaller version of your folding MTB then the JetStream sounds ideal and the suspension will make up for the smaller wheels.

Ebike gear wise I think one gear is not enough for an ebike in that you have to compromise between starting it off and not be spinning too fast when its up to speed. For this reason I think two is ideal though again this is based on my rides in Cambridge which is VERY flat.

I would disagree about the bike setup being easily rectified by changing seat and bars though. Some folding small wheeled bikes are truly terrible to ride, usually if the saddle to bars distance is too close or if you can't get the seat up high enough. Possible to fix sometimes, but many small wheeled bike frames tend to make it almost impossible. I would also say that for quality (frame and hinges) its important to get a decent folding bike if you are folding it every day and want it to last. Then again the cost of a Brompton would probably buy you two reasonable quality folding bikes which would last half as long.

Whilst the JetStream sounds like it might suit you best, I cannot imagine it being taken onto trains or coaches easily.

As I said with small wheeled portable bikes, every model has some kind of compromise.

Not in your list but I have had my eye on one of these with a set of Big Apples. Not really that compact, over expensive (though they go much cheaper second hand) but I am told ride like a full sized bike. Also takes all standard parts and has 100mm front fork spacing I think. I have held off though as I see them giving me no more than the Brompton or Moulton TSR already do.

This rather funny video shows how the fold (barely) works.

[video=youtube;B_gKzd6CCS8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_gKzd6CCS8[/video]

Keep us posted on your project.

PS That Mini folder looks like a re badged Dahon.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
haha that video did make me laugh. I'm sure he said "watch the pedals don't hit your balls" :D What a bizarre almost vertical fold its like the bike looked more cumbersome to move folded than unfolded ;-)!! The full-size riding style though in a folding bike at that incredible low weight and at such an affordable price, I can see the appeal and why you're interested..if it's to go in a car boot or on a boat, just the job..it looks like a cheaper alternative to the Airnimal's.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Yes he did say balls lol

As you say the fold is "unusual". Second hand I have seen them go for as low as £250. I almost purchased just the frame a while back on this forum for £150.

I just know though, that the Moulton and Brompton would out perform it.

Regards

Jerry

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Well guys.. I missed out again on the 2nd Dahon Jetstream...it made £380..I didn't bid because I expected it would go over £400 and I think it was too much to pay for a bike so badly scuffed as that was... there is another one on eBay at the moment which is closing in a day or so, but it's already made a crazy price and is nearly at £600... you can buy them NEW for just over £700 from some places online...and the seller hasn't even uploaded any pics of the actual bike, he's using stock photos....crazy people! There's no way I'm bidding on that, so it looks like my hopes of getting a Jetstream cheap are now fading fast.... I could kick myself for not closing that deal I had to get one at £400 now!

Even the £300 ono MINI folder ex-demo bike from the BMW dealership has sold! I was gonna try and get it below £300 to try out, ah well..

Back to my list....

D

Deleted member 4366

Don't worry, there's normally one every week. Another one will be along shortly and at least you know the price to aim for. Next one might be near to you.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks, I'll wait a bit longer then rather than rushing into buying something else off my list..