Looking to buy an electric bike on a budget

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
I will be expecting it in 7-10 days from now. I also bought a PITBULL U-LOCK & CABLE (I hope it's secure enough).

Is it worth getting a teflon spray aswell (will it help to make the bike more water and wear resistant?)?

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've never tried the Teflon spray, but it certainly won't do any harm and will help with water rejection. The cabling under the bottom bracket is a good place to protect.

The lock sounds good. Thieves are a menace though, and if there's a known record of thefts where you park it, two locks can be a good thing, through back wheel and through the frame centre triangle.

With the key out the battery is locked and unusable, and electric bikes aren't easy to pedal at speed without power, so there's some deterrent there. (Someone running could catch another person pedalling away, since most healthy people can do a short sprint at 15 or more mph.)

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
The lock sounds good. Thieves are a menace though, and if there's a known record of thefts where you park it, two locks can be a good thing, through back wheel and through the frame centre triangle.
The "rear-wheel lock" you have on the twist, and available to buy separately (I've forgotten the name?), looks very useful in that respect, as an extra measure maybe?

With the key out the battery is locked and unusable, and electric bikes aren't easy to pedal at speed without power, so there's some deterrent there. (Someone running could catch another person pedalling away, since most healthy people can do a short sprint at 15 or more mph.)
Since it seems the hub motor I'm planning to get may be less difficult to pedal away without power, and I don't know if the system can be "locked" any other way (i.e. to make pedalling hard, in addition to no power to motor), & I don't fancy having to chase after my ebike if its nicked, (15mph or not!) do you think that rear-wheel lock would be a good investment for me (to be used aswell as a D-lock)?

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The "rear-wheel lock" you have on the twist, and available to buy separately (I've forgotten the name?), looks very useful in that respect, as an extra measure maybe?
If it will fit on your chosen bike (?) it's one of the best defences, since bolt cutters won't work on it, and thieves don't come prepared for such a rare item. Sadly, it won't fit on Torq or Quando since the battery and carrier mountings get in the way.

It's the AXA, available from Fisher Leisure through bike shops.

Since it seems the hub motor I'm planning to get may be less difficult to pedal away without power, and I don't know if the system can be "locked" any other way (i.e. to make pedalling hard, in addition to no power to motor), & I don't fancy having to chase after my ebike if its nicked, (15mph or not!) do you think that rear-wheel lock would be a good investment for me (to be used as well as a D-lock)?
I only use a single lock because all my parking is very short term and doesn't follow a pattern. But if your parking does follow a day/time pattern, and the parking is for extended periods, the more security the better. A second prominent lock to tackle would definitely make a thief hesitate before an attempt, twice the chance of getting caught in the act.

Something never mentioned is to use an all over bike cover which could be carried folded on the carrier. Any thief wouldn't know if it was worth looking, and might hesitate to do something so obvious as lifting it up sufficiently to see what was underneath and what locks there were.

That last paragraph emphasises the best possible element in security, doing the unusual and unexpected.

Last edited:

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
Thx for the info flecc. I will probably get a bike cover as you suggested, and with the lock I think it will do the job.

But it seems 50cycles have ran out of the NiMH battery so I had to order the LiMH. However, I'm glad that the nice chap gave me a discount. :) So im still expecting my bike in 7-10 days.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's good at221. I've never tried the bike cover idea myself, but think it could be a very effective deterrent.

It would be a good idea to punch a hole in a suitable place in the side of the bike cover and hem the edges, or if an artificial fibre, heat seal it with flame or soldering iron.

Then you could lock through the cover, preventing anyone else who also thought it a good idea from helping themselves to yours. In fact, if there was a hole in both sides so you could lock through both sides just under the bike or at the frame triangle, a thief wouldn't be able to lift up the cover enough for a good look!

Got to be one step ahead of the rogues at all times these days. :)

Last edited:

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
Are there covers with holes already? I have had a look on eBay and from what I found, I could not find one which stood out and most seems too expensive for the purpose.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Wow! They are expensive aren't they, I had no idea they'd all be as much.

There's the possibility of rigging one yourself from a lightweight waterproof sheet maybe.

Other than that, assuming your locking the bike against a bike stand or railings, maybe folding it in two before locking (which only takes seconds) would also be a deterrent. A thief would have to think of both cutting the lock, then opening up and locking the bike frame before being able to move off. At 22 kilos/55 lbs, it's far from easy to carry it away for any distance.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's an answer at a better price, A small motorbike cover. There's many on the market, but cheapest seems to be the top one on the following link, £29.95 including VAT.

M/C Cover

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I mentioned before at221. Cut a hole in the side, or even both sides, in a place that the lock or lock cable can pass through. Then, as it's polyester, seal the edges of the hole(s) with heat, soldering iron or a small flame.

Then both bike and cover will be locked.

at221

Pedelecer
Mar 1, 2007
That will be a nice way of doing it but seems abit tedious as you cannot see where you lock the bike underneath the cover. There is always the chance of missing the lock on the bike,

So I think it may be better to first securely lock the bike then put on the cover. Lock the cover using a smaller lock (have holes at the bottom of the cover between the 2 wheels creating a "loop" around the bike.

Please let me know what you think about this method.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that would be good, since it's an increasing deterrent, lock, cover, lock, and preventing the cover being lifted up easily to see what's there.